Access IRC chat
Author Message
 Access IRC chat

Does anyone know of any IRC channels regarding Access?

----------------
Steve Silberberg

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~stevebo/

Sun, 07 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access IRC chat

Quote:

> Does anyone know of any IRC channels regarding Access?

> ----------------
> Steve Silberberg

> http://rampages.onramp.net/~stevebo/

Steve,

No I've not seen any Access IRC channels on a continuing basis.  I've
looked on the Efnet quite often but haven't seen one. The other IRC
network's dwarf in comparison to the Efnet. So the Efnet would be the
best place to look.  Approximately 20,000 users are on the Efnet at any
given time.

On occasion there are 1-2 Visual Basic programming channels up but
nothing major.

I've thought about starting one up but I'm not as proficient as I'd like
to be with Access.  I wish there was an Access channel on the IRC. Maybe
you are the one to start it up.  I might drop in or create one myself
too.

For anyone that wants to get on the IRC get the mIRC internet chat
client at   http://www.mirc.co.uk

Here are some of my favorite Efnet IRC network servers should you have
trouble getting on line.

        irc.mcs.net
        irc.gate.net
        irc.ais.net
        irc.phoenix.net
        irc.mo.net
        irc.ionet.net
        irc.cdc.net
        irc.kern.com

Mon, 08 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access IRC chat

Quote:

>> Does anyone know of any IRC channels regarding Access?

>I've thought about starting one up but I'm not as proficient as I'd like
>to be with Access.  I wish there was an Access channel on the IRC. Maybe
>you are the one to start it up.  I might drop in or create one myself
>too.

Sounds great, but while I might have some proficiency as Access, I still really
don't understand IRC.  How do you go about "advertising" your channel for
instance?

----------------
Steve Silberberg

http://rampages.onramp.net/~stevebo/

Tue, 09 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access IRC chat

Quote:

> >> Does anyone know of any IRC channels regarding Access?

> >I've thought about starting one up but I'm not as proficient as I'd like
> >to be with Access.  I wish there was an Access channel on the IRC. Maybe
> >you are the one to start it up.  I might drop in or create one myself
> >too.

> Sounds great, but while I might have some proficiency as Access, I still really
> don't understand IRC.  How do you go about "advertising" your channel for
> instance?

> ----------------
> Steve Silberberg

> http://rampages.onramp.net/~stevebo/

For a start, just add the channel name on your tag line...

i.e.
Steve Silberberg

http://rampages.onramp.net/~stevebo/
IRChat: #MS-Access

That'll generate some interest, and since you already have your
email/http addresses, people can contact you for further info on how to
log in and when the best times are...  (If for example you might have a
"guest" speaker there for a live question/answer session.)

Just my $0.02

PatrickK
http://www.ot.com/~patrickk

Tue, 09 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access IRC chat

::>>
::>> Does anyone know of any IRC channels regarding Access?
::>>

What precisely is IRC chat and how does one get into it ?? What tools
are required.

My basic understanding is that one is effectively disculling, live via
Internet, about the specific subject, in this case I would suspect
Access.  If the scenario is similar to regular (old style BBS) chats
then it would be good for a fast fix or a lead to an answer source.

Any comments ??\

Sol.

Fri, 12 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access IRC chat

::>>
::>> Does anyone know of any IRC channels regarding Access?
::>>

What precisely is IRC chat and how does one get into it ?? What tools
are required.

My basic understanding is that one is effectively disculling, live via
Internet, about the specific subject, in this case I would suspect
Access.  If the scenario is similar to regular (old style BBS) chats
then it would be good for a fast fix or a lead to an answer source.

Any comments ??\

Sol.

Sun, 14 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access IRC chat

Steve:

Try
http://www.ms-normandy.com/chat/accesschat.asp
for info on a IRC-style program run by Microsoft.

Cheers,
Mark Ouellette

Quote:

> Does anyone know of any IRC channels regarding Access?

> ----------------
> Steve Silberberg

> http://rampages.onramp.net/~stevebo/

Mon, 15 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access IRC chat

Quote:

> ::>>
> ::>> Does anyone know of any IRC channels regarding Access?
> ::>>

> What precisely is IRC chat and how does one get into it ?? What tools
> are required.

> My basic understanding is that one is effectively disculling, live via
> Internet, about the specific subject, in this case I would suspect
> Access.  If the scenario is similar to regular (old style BBS) chats
> then it would be good for a fast fix or a lead to an answer source.

> Any comments ??\

> Sol.

OK.... IRC (Internet Relay Chat), IRC chat is silly you can't have
Internet Relay Chat Chat now can you.

What is it.  IRC is an unmoderated discussion group(s) whose services
are supplied by various IRC servers dotted aournd the globe.  On these
interconnected IRC servers are a collection of "channels" or chat-groups
which engage in on-line real-time discussion about various subjects.  To
get into IRC you need 2 things (appart from the obvious like a
computer).

     a) an IRC client application
          for MS Windows platforms you can't go past either MIRC or
PIRCH.
     b) an IRC server to connect to
         There are many IRC servers and both MIRC and PIRCH supply a
list of servers that you can connect to.

You will also need to communicate which server group you will establish
you "Channel" on.  e.g. EFNet, Dal-Net or UnderNet etc.

The best thing to do is get a copy of MIRC or PIRCH and get onto IRC.
Plenty of people are willing to help you explore the intracasies of IRC.

Try http://www.shareware.com for the IRC client software.

Regards

Ross D.

Fri, 19 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Access IRC chat

To get online with the IRC download a irc chat client.  The best windows
version for ease of use and power is still mIRC.  currently the latest
version is version 4.6.  That's a shareware program but you get a 30 day
trial I believe.  You can also still download off the net elsewere
versions of mIRC that are freeware.  Version 4.1 is freeware for
example.  Get version 4.6 at:
  http://www.mirc.co.uk

I recommend you attach to the Efnet IRC network. Not always a easy thing
to do. If the server you attempt to log onto is full then you will get
an error message.  In that case just try another server until you get
online.  Also.. each server can have multiple port number to attach
too.  If the port if filled up you will be told that the server is full.
That actually means that that port is full.  You might be able to get on
line that same IRC server with a different number port.
At the command line try getting on with any one of the following
statements
  /server irc.chat.org
  /server irc.mcs.net 6666
  /server irc.mcs.net 6668
  /server irc.mo.net 6666
  /server irc.phoenix.net 6666
  /server irc.frontiernet.net
  /server irc.ais.net 6650
  /server irc.ais.net 6655
  /server irc.ais.net 6661

Once connected to a IRC server you can join a chat group in this case
you will want to join a microsoft access programming group.  I don't
know what the name might be but try typing:
  /join #ms-access

You can also do a list of the channels currently running on the network
with the following command
  /list

Fri, 19 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Imbedding Internet Relay Chat (IRC) in VB

2. Join IRC chat tonite @ 6 EST

3. IRC chatting with VB4 ?????

4. irc chat

5. IRC Client chat

6. Official VB Chat #visualbasic at irc.ais.net

7. IRC CHAT

8. IRC chat

9. IRC Internet Relay Chat and Visual Basic

10. irc chat source

11. Looking for IRC like chat object help

12. Looking for VB chat groups (irc)