Excel 2000 crashes when running macros created in Excel 97
Author Message
 Excel 2000 crashes when running macros created in Excel 97

Hi,

I've got some macros that I've written in Excel 97 and were working
fine until someone tried to use them in Excel 2000. They are used
to create charts. After the user has run a macro and saved the file,
the next time they run a macro and saved the file, Excel 2000 crashes.

I've checked that all objects are set to nothing (set rngTemp = nothing)
before leaving each routine (sub or function). Also, I've got error catching
within each routine. It doesn't matter if they are working with large
amounts of data or small.

Any ideas or thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:48:34 GMT
 Excel 2000 crashes when running macros created in Excel 97
i had the same problems a few months ago.
office 2000 uses another version of VBA and all i can do to get over it was
to reprogram it into vba 6. Not sure if that is a good option for you cuz it
takes alot of time. But i couldn't find another way to do it.

Good luck

Quote:
> Hi,

> I've got some macros that I've written in Excel 97 and were working
> fine until someone tried to use them in Excel 2000. They are used
> to create charts. After the user has run a macro and saved the file,
> the next time they run a macro and saved the file, Excel 2000 crashes.

> I've checked that all objects are set to nothing (set rngTemp = nothing)
> before leaving each routine (sub or function). Also, I've got error
catching
> within each routine. It doesn't matter if they are working with large
> amounts of data or small.

> Any ideas or thoughts would be most appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Ron

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:39:06 GMT
 Excel 2000 crashes when running macros created in Excel 97
I don't remember any problems with the XL97 macros when I moved to
XL2000 (and then to XL2002).  Could you share with us which statements
you had to reprogram in VB6?  After all, VB6 is supposed to be
compatible with VB5.

Or, were your macros in the XL4 macro language?  While I haven't used
that language since VBA came along, in theory, XL2000 was supposed to
run all older macros.

[Follow ups trimmed to .excel.programming]

--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
--

wrote

Quote:
> i had the same problems a few months ago.
> office 2000 uses another version of vba and all i can do to get over it was
> to reprogram it into vba 6. Not sure if that is a good option for you cuz it
> takes alot of time. But i couldn't find another way to do it.

> Good luck

> > Hi,

> > I've got some macros that I've written in Excel 97 and were working
> > fine until someone tried to use them in Excel 2000. They are used
> > to create charts. After the user has run a macro and saved the file,
> > the next time they run a macro and saved the file, Excel 2000 crashes.

> > I've checked that all objects are set to nothing (set rngTemp = nothing)
> > before leaving each routine (sub or function). Also, I've got error
> catching
> > within each routine. It doesn't matter if they are working with large
> > amounts of data or small.

> > Any ideas or thoughts would be most appreciated.

> > Thanks,

> > Ron

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:31:15 GMT
 Excel 2000 crashes when running macros created in Excel 97
While there is no guarantee that providing the information will result
in a solution, it can't but help.

From your second paragraph, it would seem the macros are in VBA.  Or are
they in the XL4 macros language?

When you say "run a macro" do you mean any macro?  Or a specific one?
If the latter, what's unique about it?

Is the file saved the 2nd time around?  What message does XL2000 display
when it crashes?

You might also want to check the MS Knowledge Base at
support.microsoft.com.

[Follow ups trimmed to .excel.programming]
--
Regards,

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com

> Hi,

> I've got some macros that I've written in Excel 97 and were working
> fine until someone tried to use them in Excel 2000. They are used
> to create charts. After the user has run a macro and saved the file,
> the next time they run a macro and saved the file, Excel 2000 crashes.

> I've checked that all objects are set to nothing (set rngTemp = nothing)
> before leaving each routine (sub or function). Also, I've got error catching
> within each routine. It doesn't matter if they are working with large
> amounts of data or small.

> Any ideas or thoughts would be most appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Ron

Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:37:16 GMT

1. Compatibility Problem Using MS Excel 97 VBA on Excel 2000/XP - Causes crashes

2. Excel Macro from Office 97 won't work in 2000

3. Excel 97 VBA vs Excel 2000 VBA

4. Running Excel Macros From Access 97

5. run excel macro from access 97 ?

6. Running Excel 97 macro from Visio 5

7. macro in excel 2000/2002 failed to run

8. Opening an excel file through a form/running excel macros through access

9. Macro access 2000 / excel 2000

10. Running an excel macro using excel 8 obj lib

11. need help: Open Excel, run macro, save file, close Excel

12. Running an excel macro using excel 8 obj lib