Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question 
Author Message
 Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question

Is there any way i can find out the number being inserted into an autonumber
field of a table when i execute an "Insert" SQL query on the ADO connection
object ?
The database is on MSAccess.
And ADO1.5 is being used.


Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question
Hi,

  FWIW and IMHO, this is a public newsgroup and as such, posts should not be
directed towards one or a group of individuals.

  With Access 97, you can't.  You'll have to use AddNew/Update and read off
the ID after issuing an update.  If you're also issuing a Requery, you'll
need to save AbsolutePosition.

  I believe Jet 4 OLEDB Provider supports IDENTITY against Access 2000 dbs,
but can't test that out right now.

    -- Dev

:Is there any way i can find out the number being inserted into an
autonumber
:field of a table when i execute an "Insert" SQL query on the ADO connection
:object ?
:The database is on MSAccess.
:And ADO1.5 is being used.
:
:
:
:



Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question

Quote:
>  I believe Jet 4 OLEDB Provider supports IDENTITY against Access 2000 dbs,
>but can't test that out right now.


that was added. But it doesn't allow you to specify the table.

 -- Andy



Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question
@@IDENTITY works against a SQL Server database.


Quote:

> >  I believe Jet 4 OLEDB Provider supports IDENTITY against Access 2000
dbs,
> >but can't test that out right now.


> that was added. But it doesn't allow you to specify the table.

>  -- Andy



Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question
But what's FWIW and IMHO ?


Quote:
> Hi,

>   FWIW and IMHO, this is a public newsgroup and as such, posts should not
be
> directed towards one or a group of individuals.

>   With Access 97, you can't.  You'll have to use AddNew/Update and read
off
> the ID after issuing an update.  If you're also issuing a Requery, you'll
> need to save AbsolutePosition.

>   I believe Jet 4 OLEDB Provider supports IDENTITY against Access 2000
dbs,
> but can't test that out right now.

>     -- Dev


> :Is there any way i can find out the number being inserted into an
> autonumber
> :field of a table when i execute an "Insert" SQL query on the ADO
connection
> :object ?
> :The database is on MSAccess.
> :And ADO1.5 is being used.
> :
> :
> :
> :



Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question
FWIW = For What It's Worth
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

New FAQ topic Dev? :)

--
Calum Reay
Paradox Contracting Ltd
Our Access Site: http://www.pcltd.co.uk/access/
Dev Ashish's Site: http://home.att.net/~dashish/


Quote:
> But what's FWIW and IMHO ?



Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question
And against a Jet 4 database.

 -- Andy

Quote:




>> >  I believe Jet 4 OLEDB Provider supports IDENTITY against Access 2000
>dbs,
>> >but can't test that out right now.


>> that was added. But it doesn't allow you to specify the table.

>>  -- Andy



Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question
Hi Andy,


Quote:


> that was added. But it doesn't allow you to specify the table.

  Thanks much for following it up.  For others, this KB article provides the
sample code

  < http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q232/1/44.asp >

  -- Dev



Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question
Heh heh...  No, not when there's

< http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tajwileb/dictionary.html >

  -- Dev


Quote:
> FWIW = For What It's Worth
> IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

> New FAQ topic Dev? :)

> --
> Calum Reay
> Paradox Contracting Ltd
> Our Access Site: http://www.pcltd.co.uk/access/
> Dev Ashish's Site: http://home.att.net/~dashish/



> > But what's FWIW and IMHO ?



Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question
Oh, OK!

Calum


Quote:
> Heh heh...  No, not when there's

> < http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tajwileb/dictionary.html >

>   -- Dev



> > FWIW = For What It's Worth
> > IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

> > New FAQ topic Dev? :)



Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Gurus Plz Reply - Autonumber Question

Well thanx all, that was enlightening in more ways than one !!!


Quote:
> Oh, OK!

> Calum



> > Heh heh...  No, not when there's

> > < http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tajwileb/dictionary.html >

> >   -- Dev



> > > FWIW = For What It's Worth
> > > IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

> > > New FAQ topic Dev? :)



Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 12 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. question: plz reply

2. Problem Of crystal report :Plz reply ASAP

3. Help plz,plz,plz!!!

4. HELP PLZ,plz,plz!!

5. DataGrid Guru( Urgent Reply Please)

6. DataGrid Guru (Urgent Reply Please)

7. Question for a guru (WOSA guru, that is)

8. GURU/SEMI-GURU please help with ActiveX DLL threading question

9. Preventing Reply or Changing Reply Address

10. quick question (plz help)

11. simple datagrid question.. help plz

12. plz answer my question

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software