Access 2 increasing the size of a field using Basic
Author Message
 Access 2 increasing the size of a field using Basic

Hi there,

I have a database program and I want to increase the size of an existing
field from 10 characters to 20 characters.

Is there a way of doing this using Access basic or do the changes have to be
made manually.

--
Phil Cunningham

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 24 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Access 2 increasing the size of a field using Basic

Phil,

You can do it using DAO, but it's non-trivial.  Look at the TableDefs and
FieldDefs collections.

    - Rebecca

Quote:

>Hi there,

>I have a database program and I want to increase the size of an existing
>field from 10 characters to 20 characters.

>Is there a way of doing this using Access basic or do the changes have to
be
>made manually.

>--
>Phil Cunningham

>http://www.oak-leaf.demon.co.uk

Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Access 2 increasing the size of a field using Basic

Hi Philip,

The answer to your question is yes and no.
The fieldsize property is read only at run time, meaning that you can't
change it with code.
What you can do is to append a new field with the new size to the fields
collection of your table, copy the values from the old fields to the new
fields and delete the old field from the fields collection of your table.
Adding and deleting fields to the fields collection is explained in the
help.

Johan Savels
Trainer Data Bases & Visual Basic
Royal Technical School of the Belgian Air Force

Quote:

>Hi there,

>I have a database program and I want to increase the size of an existing
>field from 10 characters to 20 characters.

>Is there a way of doing this using Access basic or do the changes have to
be
>made manually.

>--
>Phil Cunningham

>http://www.oak-leaf.demon.co.uk

Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Access 2 increasing the size of a field using Basic

Make life easy - do it manually!

Quote:

--

(To reply: please remove nSoPAM. from reply address - Thanks)

Wed, 27 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Access 2 increasing the size of a field using Basic

OK, Thanks for the replies - it seems quite a bit of work for what I want to
achieve

Thanks anyway

Phil Cunningham

http://www.oak-leaf.demon.co.uk

Quote:

>Hi Philip,

>The answer to your question is yes and no.
>The fieldsize property is read only at run time, meaning that you can't
>change it with code.
>What you can do is to append a new field with the new size to the fields
>collection of your table, copy the values from the old fields to the new
>fields and delete the old field from the fields collection of your table.
>Adding and deleting fields to the fields collection is explained in the
>help.

>Johan Savels
>Trainer Data Bases & Visual Basic
>Royal Technical School of the Belgian Air Force

Wed, 27 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Increase field size in linked table

2. Increase size of drop-down for field?

3. Increase Size of Drop-Down Form Field?

4. increasing Field size from code

5. How to increase a field size programmatically?

6. Increase field size?

7. Increasing size of Access Application

8. Access 7.0 File Size Increases

9. Access database size increase

10. Adding new column into Access increases the size of the file

11. Help - MS Access Size Increased!

12. changing field type/size in Access 97 using vb6