data exchange between MS Excel and MS Project
Author Message
 data exchange between MS Excel and MS Project

Hello,

I'm a student in the Netherlands and I have a problem with updating data
between
MS Excel and MS Project.
I'm using the add-in in Excel: Crystal Ball (forcasting/ decisioneering
software).

I will briefly explain what my problem is:
I made a planning in MS Project. Now I want to assign uncertainties to the
durations of the activities in Project.  The way to do that is to use the
add-in Crystal Ball in Excel. In Excel too you make a column in which you
state the durations with their uncertainties. Now, the project is simulated
for example 1000 times.

Between each simulation, MS Excel has to tell MS Project what the new data
is.  So I copied the data in MS Excel and paste-linked it into MS Project.
The problem is that this (DDE) link isn't fast enough I guess, and the
simulation is already ended, before MS Project has received any data.  Now
is there an opportunity in the add-in to insert an macro between echt
simulation step, but I do not know what I can do to stimulate MS Excel and
MS Project to exchange the data, before the simulation continues.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!!!

HJ

Thu, 09 Oct 2003 02:57:24 GMT
 data exchange between MS Excel and MS Project
I know nothing about Crystal Ball and I am not sure whether this will help
but I offer these thoughts since no-one else has replied. If you set a
reference in the VB editor to the MSProject type library, then using VBA
code like the following you can read/write data from/to MSProject.

Dim objMSProject as New MSProject.Application
Dim objProject as MSProject.Project
Dim objTask as MSProject.Task
objMSProject.OpenFile "c:\MyProject.mpp"
Set objProject = objMSProject.Projects("c:\MyProject.mpp")
For Each objTask in objProject
    Msgbox objTask.Name & " has duration " & objTask.Duration
    objTask.Duration = 1440  'Change the duration to 1440 minutes.
Next

I have had to type all this from memory so there may well be some errors,
but I hope you get the idea.

Regards,
Rob Rutherford

Quote:
> Hello,

> I'm a student in the Netherlands and I have a problem with updating data
> between
> MS Excel and MS Project.
> I'm using the add-in in Excel: Crystal Ball (forcasting/ decisioneering
> software).

> I will briefly explain what my problem is:
> I made a planning in MS Project. Now I want to assign uncertainties to the
> durations of the activities in Project.  The way to do that is to use the
> add-in Crystal Ball in Excel. In Excel too you make a column in which you
> state the durations with their uncertainties. Now, the project is
simulated
> for example 1000 times.

> Between each simulation, MS Excel has to tell MS Project what the new data
> is.  So I copied the data in MS Excel and paste-linked it into MS Project.
> The problem is that this (DDE) link isn't fast enough I guess, and the
> simulation is already ended, before MS Project has received any data.  Now
> is there an opportunity in the add-in to insert an macro between echt
> simulation step, but I do not know what I can do to stimulate MS Excel and
> MS Project to exchange the data, before the simulation continues.

> Can anyone help me?

> Thanks in advance!!!

> HJ

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 02:42:05 GMT

1. Saving data in MS Project 98 to MS Access

2. Can't open data control in MS Visual Basic Editor for MS project

3. MS ACCESS data to MS EXCEL directly

4. MS Project 98 vs Ms Project 2000

5. ASP.NET update task in MS Project Server and MS Project

6. Conversion from MS project 95 to MS project 2000

7. After adding tasks outside of MS Project, saving in MS Project deletes them

8. looking for conversion software for MS Excel 4.0 (ELM) to MS Excel 5.0 visual Basic

9. Access MS Project data via the Microsoft.Project.OLEDB.9.0 in ASP

10. **** Send a mailing using MS ACCESS 95 with or without MS EXCHANGE SERVER *****

11. Integrating MS-Project with Outlook & Exchange Server

12. MS Access to MS Exchange Address Book??