Word XP- Insert Autotext- Tables
Author Message
 Word XP- Insert Autotext- Tables

It seems no matter how I save an autotext entry that
contains a table without norders in XP- the autotext entry
is inserted programatically or manually with borders
visible- Can this be true??? Can an MVP confirm???

I have other Word versions so am currently doing all this
work in 2000. I can turn off the borders in macros but-
many I have missed so subtle thing or easy workaround.

This seems to be a first - at least since 6.0.

Thanks,
Lori

Thu, 16 Sep 2004 05:15:56 GMT
 Word XP- Insert Autotext- Tables
Hi, Lori,

I experimented with this a bit, and here's what I found out:

If the document is based on Normal.dot, regardless of which template the
AutoText entry is stored in, the table will be inserted with borders. This is
the result of an AutoFormat action that can't be turned off -- although if you
press Ctrl+Alt+U immediately, the AutoFormat will be undone and the borders will
disappear.

If the document is based on some template other than Normal.dot, and the
AutoText entry is stored in that template *or some other global template that
isn't Normal.dot*, the table will be inserted without borders.

Here's the weird one: If the document is based on some template other than
Normal.dot, and the AutoText entry is stored in Normal.dot (without borders),
the table is still AutoFormatted to have borders! I have no idea where that
comes from, but fortunately the Ctrl+Alt+U still works.

I'll see if I can get someone at Microsoft to look into this. In the meantime,
the easiest path is probably to store your AutoTexts in a separate template that
you put in the Word Startup folder. That's not a bad idea anyway, considering
how prone to corruption Normal.dot is.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Quote:
> It seems no matter how I save an autotext entry that
> contains a table without norders in XP- the autotext entry
> is inserted programatically or manually with borders
> visible- Can this be true??? Can an MVP confirm???

> I have other Word versions so am currently doing all this
> work in 2000. I can turn off the borders in macros but-
> many I have missed so subtle thing or easy workaround.

> This seems to be a first - at least since 6.0.

> Thanks,
> Lori

Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:02:28 GMT
 Word XP- Insert Autotext- Tables
Thanks Jay-
I am storing my autotext in a startup template and it is
still doing this border thing when I insert them into any
template based on normal.dot or if I programattically
insert them   - Glad I still have Word 2000 laying around-
If I make the entries in 2000 and tranfer them over with
the organizer I have no sych trouble- curious-eh?
-l
Quote:

Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:34:18 GMT
 Word XP- Insert Autotext- Tables
Hi Lori,

Have you noticed that, in Word 2002, when you insert a table, it defaults to
the Table Grid style? By default, this table style has cell borders. I
suspect that you could modify this style to show no borders and in that case
your autotext entry would come in with no borders.

Bill Coan
Microsoft Word MVP

http://www.wordsite.com

> Thanks Jay-
> I am storing my autotext in a startup template and it is
> still doing this border thing when I insert them into any
> template based on normal.dot or if I programattically
> insert them   - Glad I still have Word 2000 laying around-
> If I make the entries in 2000 and tranfer them over with
> the organizer I have no sych trouble- curious-eh?
> -l

Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:36:30 GMT
 Word XP- Insert Autotext- Tables
Hi Bill,

Agreed. Or format it with a custom table style that doesn't include borders.

Quote:
> Have you noticed that, in Word 2002, when you insert a table, it defaults to
> the Table Grid style? By default, this table style has cell borders. I
> suspect that you could modify this style to show no borders and in that case
> your autotext entry would come in with no borders.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.mvps.org/word
http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:07:47 GMT

1. Macro that inserts Autotext loses styles of Autotext entry

2. Problem with format on insert autotext, and in inserting elements with form fields

3. Inserting AutoText in Header and retaining formatting

4. Inserting AutoText from a Global Template

5. Insert autotext with VBa

6. Insert Autotext Entries in a Document

7. Autotext Insert in Cell Using Range

8. Insert AutoText in Footer via Macro

9. Inserting Autotext using VBA - loses formatting and styles

10. If true Insert Autotext

11. Insert autotext with vba

12. Programmatically inserting AutoText