Help - How do I create dynamic Visio diagrams?
Author Message
 Help - How do I create dynamic Visio diagrams?

Hello All,

I am new to Visio develoment, so please bear with me.
Here is what I am trying to do and I am not sure if this is possible with
Visio.

Requirements:
1.) I want to build a Visio tree diagram (similar to a org. chart) in which
I can dynamically add objects.
2.) This diagram would be driven from a TreeView-type control (which would
define the tree hierarchy).
3.) I want to be able to add objects to the TreeView control and then
dynamically update the diagram.
4.) If I select an object from the TreeView control, then I want the diagram
to zoom in on the selected object.
5.) In addition, I would like the application to have a VB interface or a
Web-based interface (meaning that I don't want my application to be built
within Visio, but that I would like to use a Visio-type drawing/control from
VB or Web-interface).

I have looked at a number of examples and most of them involve automation
within Visio.
I was looking more for a Web-based application or a VB application which
interfaces a Visio instance or control.

I found one example that was very similar to the "look and feel"  I want to
define.
It is the FmWeb example
http://www.*-*-*.com/
ser.htm
which uses the Microsoft Visio Facilities Management (FM) Web Browser.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.
If this cannot be done using Visio, does anybody know how I could accomplish
these tasks.

Thanks,
Mike

Sun, 06 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - How do I create dynamic Visio diagrams?

Michael,

You can drive Visio from VB, so you don't have to be in-proc (i.e., VBA or a
VSL) to automate Visio.  I haven't tried it, but I suppose you could drive
Visio from VBScript on a Web page, too, or from ASP.

You can certainly do everything you want via automation.  The DVS folder
under your Visio install has several examples of automation Visio from VB.
All of the VBA examples work in VB, too; you just have to CreateObject or
GetObject Visio to get a connection to Visio, where VBA gives you that
automatically.

Michael Hunter
Microsoft Visio

Sun, 06 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - How do I create dynamic Visio diagrams?

I think that I have a similiar goal to Michael's, but getting update data
from Microsoft Project 2000 alter Visio graphics.

Question:

If we stick to the VBA that ships with the Microsoft Applications, am I
better off building this in MS Project VBA?

Again:  any examples would be extremely helpful.

Ralph

Quote:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/techart/Fm...

> ser.htm
> which uses the Microsoft Visio Facilities Management (FM) Web Browser.

> Any help or suggestions are welcome.
> If this cannot be done using Visio, does anybody know how I could
accomplish
> these tasks.

> Thanks,
> Mike

Mon, 07 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - How do I create dynamic Visio diagrams?

Whether you use Project's VBA or Visio's VBA doesn't really make a
difference.  If the majority of your automation calls will be to one program
or the other, using that app's VBA will make things run faster since you'll
be running from within the same process.  Whether the speed difference will
be noticeable is questionable.

Michael Hunter
Microsoft Visio

Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - How do I create dynamic Visio diagrams?

If you want to create a Work Breakdown Structrure in Visio from a MS Project
plan. I've already done it and will be happy to provide the solution. The
solution I have traverses the MS Project plan and picks up the WBS ids from
the tasks in the plan and builds the WBS tree in Visio..

Guy Cox

Quote:

> I think that I have a similiar goal to Michael's, but getting update data
> from Microsoft Project 2000 alter Visio graphics.

> Question:

> If we stick to the VBA that ships with the Microsoft Applications, am I
> better off building this in MS Project VBA?

> Again:  any examples would be extremely helpful.

> Ralph

> > Hello All,

> > I am new to Visio develoment, so please bear with me.
> > Here is what I am trying to do and I am not sure if this is possible
with
> > Visio.

> > Requirements:
> > 1.) I want to build a Visio tree diagram (similar to a org. chart) in
> which
> > I can dynamically add objects.
> > 2.) This diagram would be driven from a TreeView-type control (which
would
> > define the tree hierarchy).
> > 3.) I want to be able to add objects to the TreeView control and then
> > dynamically update the diagram.
> > 4.) If I select an object from the TreeView control, then I want the
> diagram
> > to zoom in on the selected object.
> > 5.) In addition, I would like the application to have a VB interface or
> > Web-based interface (meaning that I don't want my application to be
built
> > within Visio, but that I would like to use a Visio-type drawing/control
> from
> > VB or Web-interface).

> > I have looked at a number of examples and most of them involve
automation
> > within Visio.
> > I was looking more for a Web-based application or a VB application which
> > interfaces a Visio instance or control.

> > I found one example that was very similar to the "look and feel"  I want
> > define.
> > It is the FmWeb example

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/techart/Fm...

> > ser.htm
> > which uses the Microsoft Visio Facilities Management (FM) Web Browser.

> > Any help or suggestions are welcome.
> > If this cannot be done using Visio, does anybody know how I could
> accomplish
> > these tasks.

> > Thanks,
> > Mike

Mon, 21 Apr 2003 02:44:40 GMT

1. visio diagram to XML / creating textfiles with VBA in Visio

2. Dynamic Visio Diagrams

3. Creating & managing a Visio diagram by VBA

4. NEED HELP CODING VISIO ER DIAGRAM

5. Complete Project Visio Diagram

6. Access Visio Diagram

7. Visio E/R source diagram from TXT o CSV files

8. Automatic Diagramming and Visio?

9. Filename of linked ole object in visio diagram?

10. Extract data from Visio database diagram.

11. traversing a visio diagram

12. Export Visio Diagram to PostScript or PDF - Maintain Links