Automatically Updating Embedded Graph Source if document's name is changed
Author Message
 Automatically Updating Embedded Graph Source if document's name is changed

I have a MS Graph chart embedded within a document. The data source
for the graph is linked to a table in the document. When the data
changes in the table the graph appears to update automatically. The
problem arises when the document's location or name is changed - the
graph still thinks it's link to the previous named document. The only
way to correct this is to open up the links and change the location of
the source document to be the current document. Is there a way to
dynamically name the source to always be the same as the document the
graph is located in?

I have placed this post in the vb group as I am assuming this will
require some coding.

Thanks for any assistance. PS - I am running Word 2000.

David

Wed, 03 Nov 2004 04:55:10 GMT
 Automatically Updating Embedded Graph Source if document's name is changed
Hi David,

This doesn't sound right... Could you explain how you created the graph,
and linked it to the table?

Quote:
> I have a MS Graph chart embedded within a document. The data source
> for the graph is linked to a table in the document. When the data
> changes in the table the graph appears to update automatically. The
> problem arises when the document's location or name is changed - the
> graph still thinks it's link to the previous named document. The only
> way to correct this is to open up the links and change the location of
> the source document to be the current document. Is there a way to
> dynamically name the source to always be the same as the document the
> graph is located in?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.mvps.org/word
http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:03:33 GMT
 Automatically Updating Embedded Graph Source if document's name is changed
Cindy:
I inserted a chart object, copied the table I wanted to link the chart
to, then opened the datasheet for the chart and pasted as a link. The
problem is if I now save this document under another name the source
for the link is referenced back to the original document.

David

Quote:
> Hi David,

> This doesn't sound right... Could you explain how you created the graph,
> and linked it to the table?

> > I have a MS Graph chart embedded within a document. The data source
> > for the graph is linked to a table in the document. When the data
> > changes in the table the graph appears to update automatically. The
> > problem arises when the document's location or name is changed - the
> > graph still thinks it's link to the previous named document. The only
> > way to correct this is to open up the links and change the location of
> > the source document to be the current document. Is there a way to
> > dynamically name the source to always be the same as the document the
> > graph is located in?

> Cindy Meister
> INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
> http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister
> http://www.mvps.org/word
> http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

> This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question
> or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:13:19 GMT
 Automatically Updating Embedded Graph Source if document's name is changed
Cindy:
If I use Excel will I still be able to link to the table within the
document? Currently the table is updated from another application with
code.

David

Quote:
> Hi David,

> > I inserted a chart object, copied the table I wanted to link the chart
> > to, then opened the datasheet for the chart and pasted as a link. The
> > problem is if I now save this document under another name the source
> > for the link is referenced back to the original document.

> Looks like this is a problem with Office 2000... I don't see it in XP,
> but I can in Word 2000.

> Unfortunately, MSGraph doesn't really supply you with a way to interface
> with the "Link" functionality via Automation. Neither when creating the
> graphs, nor for maintaining the links.

> Don't suppose you could use an Excel chart, instead?

> Cindy Meister
> INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
> http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister
> http://www.mvps.org/word
> http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

> This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question
> or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:54:16 GMT
 Automatically Updating Embedded Graph Source if document's name is changed
Hi David,

Quote:
> If I use Excel will I still be able to link to the table within the
> document? Currently the table is updated from another application with
> code.

Works here in Office XP; no idea what will happen with Office 2000,
though.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.mvps.org/word
http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:46:17 GMT

1. Macro to update source document server name

2. Getting embedded document file names from parent document

3. Changing document's Name property

4. Changing control name of button doesn't change event name to be the same

5. Automatically Generate Document Name

6. Update graphs using a DLL as data source??

7. How to change legend title names in graphs

8. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

9. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

10. Dates, Field Updates and Document Naming/Saving

11. Document's HTML source with WebBrowser control?

12. Document's HTML source with WebBrowser control?