need help updating a local front end mdb from an mdb on an ftp site 
Author Message
 need help updating a local front end mdb from an mdb on an ftp site

I have an A2k front end that updates itself by looking at a network path to
see if there are any recent updates available.
The update file always has a name like "appupdate-yyyymmdd.mdb" where
yyyymmdd is the date of the update.
The update mdb might contain new or revised forms, reports etc that are
imported from the existign front end so as to update itself.  Once the
update occurs, a field in a local table is set to the name of the update
field so that it won't use it to update itself again until there is a newer
update file available.
In the update code, I do a DIR on the location where the updates are placed
to see if there are any files that match the appropriate pattern.  If DIR
returns a zero lenght string then the update does not execute, cuz there's
nothting to do and teh program runs normally.  If an update file is found,
then the update occurs and then the program runs normally after that.
Here's my problem:
All that works great.  But, for several reasons, we had to move the
"appupdate-yyyymmdd.mdb" files to an ftp location instead of a
\\server\updatefolder  or e:\updatefolder configuration.   I tried doing a
DIR function on the ftp address.  It doesn't crash, but it doesn't find the
file.
the code is (where 'user' is the user and location for the ftp site and
password is of course the password to get in):

    sFilePattern = "/AppUpdate*.mdb"
    sUpdateFile = Dir(sPath & sFilePattern)
    (then there's a bunch of code that opens up the remote mdb file and
imports the objects into the local mdb file)

keep in mind that this all worked fine when it was
    sPath = "e:\updatefolder"
    sFilePattern = "\AppUpdate*.mdb"
    sUpdateFile = Dir(sPath & sFilePattern)
    (then there's a bunch of code that opens up the remote mdb file and
imports the objects into the local mdb file)
or
    sPath = "\\server\updatefolder"
    sFilePattern = "\AppUpdate*.mdb"
    sUpdateFile = Dir(sPath & sFilePattern)
    (then there's a bunch of code that opens up the remote mdb file and
imports the objects into the local mdb file)

but the ftp method does not work.  like i said, it doesn't crash, it just
doesn't seem to see the file.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith



Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:59:03 GMT  
 need help updating a local front end mdb from an mdb on an ftp site
I don't know much about this, but I suspect you're going to have to
use special code to handle an FTP site.  Have a look at

    http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0015.htm

    http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0037.htm

    http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/tcpipprogramming.htm

for pointers and source code.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)



Quote:
> I have an A2k front end that updates itself by looking at a network
path to
> see if there are any recent updates available.
> The update file always has a name like "appupdate-yyyymmdd.mdb"
where
> yyyymmdd is the date of the update.
> The update mdb might contain new or revised forms, reports etc that
are
> imported from the existign front end so as to update itself.  Once
the
> update occurs, a field in a local table is set to the name of the
update
> field so that it won't use it to update itself again until there is
a newer
> update file available.
> In the update code, I do a DIR on the location where the updates are
placed
> to see if there are any files that match the appropriate pattern.
If DIR
> returns a zero lenght string then the update does not execute, cuz
there's
> nothting to do and teh program runs normally.  If an update file is
found,
> then the update occurs and then the program runs normally after
that.
> Here's my problem:
> All that works great.  But, for several reasons, we had to move the
> "appupdate-yyyymmdd.mdb" files to an ftp location instead of a
> \\server\updatefolder  or e:\updatefolder configuration.   I tried
doing a
> DIR function on the ftp address.  It doesn't crash, but it doesn't
find the
> file.
> the code is (where 'user' is the user and location for the ftp site
and
> password is of course the password to get in):

>     sFilePattern = "/AppUpdate*.mdb"
>     sUpdateFile = Dir(sPath & sFilePattern)
>     (then there's a bunch of code that opens up the remote mdb file
and
> imports the objects into the local mdb file)

> keep in mind that this all worked fine when it was
>     sPath = "e:\updatefolder"
>     sFilePattern = "\AppUpdate*.mdb"
>     sUpdateFile = Dir(sPath & sFilePattern)
>     (then there's a bunch of code that opens up the remote mdb file
and
> imports the objects into the local mdb file)
> or
>     sPath = "\\server\updatefolder"
>     sFilePattern = "\AppUpdate*.mdb"
>     sUpdateFile = Dir(sPath & sFilePattern)
>     (then there's a bunch of code that opens up the remote mdb file
and
> imports the objects into the local mdb file)

> but the ftp method does not work.  like i said, it doesn't crash, it
just
> doesn't seem to see the file.
> Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Keith



Mon, 01 Aug 2005 01:29:14 GMT  
 
 [ 2 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. A2k: Controlling a back-end MDB from its FRONT-end MDB

2. A2K Updating Back End with new fields from Front End

3. Help with copying mdb to mdb

4. HELP on how to modify two mdb database (local and distant)

5. Newbie needs help with database front end

6. Using mdb reference is allowed only from mdb file

7. Front End updating of Modules while it is running

8. Copy a table from Template.mdb to existing.mdb

9. Eval() Works In 1 mdb (same machine) but not 2nd mdb

10. Front End Updating

11. ACC97 mdb to mdb form Import

12. Automate Import of95 mdb to 97 mdb

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software