Why does Access run okay on one machine and SUPER slow on all others? 
Author Message
 Why does Access run okay on one machine and SUPER slow on all others?

Hi!

I have an Access 97 database that is running okay on a
laptop, but SUPER slow on all of the desktops. What can I
do to increase performance on the desktops? The database
is centralized on a server and Access.exe is loaded on
each desktop.

Thanks for your help!



Sun, 06 Jun 2004 06:31:46 GMT  
 Why does Access run okay on one machine and SUPER slow on all others?
The obvious question is:

Is the database installed locally on the laptop but all
the desktops are using the network?  If so, the obvious
fault is the network.  

The other obvious things: CPU/Memory.  Works great on my
Pentium 4 1GHz machine but it's really slow on Janet's
Pentium-75 ... well, of course :)

But, there's still some things you may be able to do.  
First, make sure you compile your application if there's
any code in modules.  You can do this while viewing a
module under the debug menu > Compile and Save all
modules.  That will help.  Also you can compact your DB.  
(Tools > Database Utilities > Compact Database).

There's also a Performance Analyzer (if it's not installed
it should be installable from the original disc.)  Under
Tools > Analyze > Performance.  Go to the All tab and hit
Select All then run it.  That will give you a fairly
sizable list of "Suggestions" and "Ideas" you will
probably want to ignore, but you may want to look at
any "Recommendations"

- Tim

???

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>Hi!

>I have an Access 97 database that is running okay on a
>laptop, but SUPER slow on all of the desktops. What can I
>do to increase performance on the desktops? The database
>is centralized on a server and Access.exe is loaded on
>each desktop.

>Thanks for your help!
>.



Sun, 06 Jun 2004 08:48:01 GMT  
 Why does Access run okay on one machine and SUPER slow on all others?

Quote:
>>> The database is centralized on a server...Yes, the database is split <<<

I've seen this one a million times. Sometimes, believe it or not, if you
"unsplit" the database and keep the tables and objects within one MDB file,
you will gain incredible performance when working with databases across
[slow] servers. I realize this is not the recommended approach, but it will
solve the problem you're having. Trust me! ;-)

--
Calvin Smith
http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com
"Real-world Source Code Solutions"


Quote:
> Hi!

> I have an Access 97 database that is running okay on a
> laptop, but SUPER slow on all of the desktops. What can I
> do to increase performance on the desktops? The database
> is centralized on a server and Access.exe is loaded on
> each desktop.

> Thanks for your help!



Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:58:53 GMT  
 Why does Access run okay on one machine and SUPER slow on all others?
Awesome, Calvin! I just saw your reply to my post at the
other site too. I NEVER would have thought to try that.
Man, what a major performance difference that made. This
was definitely a case where an "unsplit" was the only way
to go. The users will be happy when they come in tomorrow.
Thanks again. I like your site by the way and plan on
getting some of your tools soon.

Take care man.

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>>>> The database is centralized on a server...Yes, the

database is split <<<
Quote:

>I've seen this one a million times. Sometimes, believe it
or not, if you
>"unsplit" the database and keep the tables and objects

within one MDB file,
Quote:
>you will gain incredible performance when working with
databases across
>[slow] servers. I realize this is not the recommended

approach, but it will
Quote:
>solve the problem you're having. Trust me! ;-)

>--
>Calvin Smith
>http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com
>"Real-world Source Code Solutions"



>> Hi!

>> I have an Access 97 database that is running okay on a
>> laptop, but SUPER slow on all of the desktops. What can
I
>> do to increase performance on the desktops? The database
>> is centralized on a server and Access.exe is loaded on
>> each desktop.

>> Thanks for your help!

>.



Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:53:13 GMT  
 Why does Access run okay on one machine and SUPER slow on all others?
You're welcome! :-)

Glad it all worked out for you.
--
Calvin Smith
http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com
"Real-world Source Code Solutions"


Quote:
> Awesome, Calvin! I just saw your reply to my post at the
> other site too. I NEVER would have thought to try that.
> Man, what a major performance difference that made. This
> was definitely a case where an "unsplit" was the only way
> to go. The users will be happy when they come in tomorrow.
> Thanks again. I like your site by the way and plan on
> getting some of your tools soon.

> Take care man.

> >-----Original Message-----
> >>>> The database is centralized on a server...Yes, the
> database is split <<<

> >I've seen this one a million times. Sometimes, believe it
> or not, if you
> >"unsplit" the database and keep the tables and objects
> within one MDB file,
> >you will gain incredible performance when working with
> databases across
> >[slow] servers. I realize this is not the recommended
> approach, but it will
> >solve the problem you're having. Trust me! ;-)

> >--
> >Calvin Smith
> >http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com
> >"Real-world Source Code Solutions"



> >> Hi!

> >> I have an Access 97 database that is running okay on a
> >> laptop, but SUPER slow on all of the desktops. What can
> I
> >> do to increase performance on the desktops? The database
> >> is centralized on a server and Access.exe is loaded on
> >> each desktop.

> >> Thanks for your help!

> >.



Tue, 08 Jun 2004 09:41:44 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Error 3071...Why on one machine and not on others

2. Excel file opened in IE3 - on one machine starts Excel, others does not

3. V7 Access code runs on one machine and not another

4. Fast on one machine, slow on another

5. Slow updates in Treeview on all machines except the one used in development

6. okay I bet this has been done before.

7. Why Comm 2 runs slower that Comm 1

8. Why VB4 runs slow in LAN?

9. Please Help...Why does this run so slow?

10. Why project RUNS SLOWER IN WINDOWS 2000 ???

11. Why a compiled executable won't run on client's machine

12. Progam runs on one machine, not on another

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software