Starting external application from Word/Parsing XML
Author Message
 Starting external application from Word/Parsing XML

Hi,

Is it possible, if yes, how, to start a delphi application from within Word
and does anybody know how to parse an XML file in Word?

Thanks

--
Hans Scholte

Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:33:16 GMT
 Starting external application from Word/Parsing XML
Hi Hans,

Not enough detail in the question really to provide an authoritative answer.

1. yes you can start external applications from Word, the language they are
written in is not relevant. If you simply want to start them in a separate
window, then take a look at the Shell command. If you want to control the
application, then you need to use OLE automation. The following articles
give examples of Word controlling other applications. If your Delphi
application has a COM interface, then it should be possible for it to be
controlled in this way.

Control Excel from Word
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/InterDev/ControlXLFromWord.htm

How to control PowerPoint from Word
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/InterDev/ControlPPTFromWord.htm

Control Outlook from Word
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/InterDev/ControlOLFromWord.htm

2. Word 97 and onwards have the ability to open HTML files in an editing
window. That capability has steadily extended through the versions, to the
extent that with Word 2002, you can almost regard HTML/XML as an alternative
native data format, and manipulate such documents using the Word object
model. If this isn't what you mean, then please post back with a more
detailed description of what you want.

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP

Quote:
> Hi,

> Is it possible, if yes, how, to start a Delphi application from within
Word
> and does anybody know how to parse an XML file in Word?

> Thanks

> --
> Hans Scholte

Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:25:40 GMT
 Starting external application from Word/Parsing XML
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the info on running external applications!
I want to read data from an XML file and use this data to fill and control a
userform. I think the answer lies also in running external applications.

Hans Scholte

Quote:
> Hi Hans,

> Not enough detail in the question really to provide an authoritative
answer.

> 1. yes you can start external applications from Word, the language they
are
> written in is not relevant. If you simply want to start them in a separate
> window, then take a look at the Shell command. If you want to control the
> application, then you need to use OLE automation. The following articles
> give examples of Word controlling other applications. If your Delphi
> application has a COM interface, then it should be possible for it to be
> controlled in this way.

> Control Excel from Word
> http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/InterDev/ControlXLFromWord.htm

> How to control PowerPoint from Word
> http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/InterDev/ControlPPTFromWord.htm

> Control Outlook from Word
> http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/InterDev/ControlOLFromWord.htm

> 2. Word 97 and onwards have the ability to open HTML files in an editing
> window. That capability has steadily extended through the versions, to the
> extent that with Word 2002, you can almost regard HTML/XML as an
alternative
> native data format, and manipulate such documents using the Word object
> model. If this isn't what you mean, then please post back with a more
> detailed description of what you want.

> --
> Regards
> Jonathan West - Word MVP
> MultiLinker - Automated generation of hyperlinks in Word
> Conversion to PDF & HTML
> http://www.multilinker.com
> Word FAQs at http://www.multilinker.com/wordfaq
> Please post any follow-up in the newsgroup. I do not reply to Word
questions
> by email

> > Hi,

> > Is it possible, if yes, how, to start a Delphi application from within
> Word
> > and does anybody know how to parse an XML file in Word?

> > Thanks

> > --
> > Hans Scholte

Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:07:02 GMT

1. Parse external XML file in VBA

2. Parsing XML from an ASP page that Creates XML fails

3. Help starting external program from word

4. Start MS Project 2002 from external application

5. Starting an external application from within VB

6. Starting an external application from VB

7. AppActivate starting external application

8. Start external application by ASP script

9. External Application Start

10. Starting external application

11. external manipulation of the word application object

12. Adding Forms and external code to Word / Office applications