Moving Oracle records to MS SQL Server using MS Access
Author Message
 Moving Oracle records to MS SQL Server using MS Access

I want to transfer a 10 million record database from Oracle into SQL Server
using MS Access 97.

What is the fastest method in which to do this?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

John

Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Moving Oracle records to MS SQL Server using MS Access
Wow!
I'd like to hear how you finally end up doing this.
If you have ODBC drivers for both and can attach both tables to one mdb,
then maybe you can just write a query to select from one and append to the
other.

Alternatively, SQL server has a bulk update feature that can be used
directly on certain types of files.  Maybe you could dump the data into that
type of file first from Oracle and then upload that way.
Good luck.

Quote:

>I want to transfer a 10 million record database from Oracle into SQL Server
>using MS Access 97.

>What is the fastest method in which to do this?

>Your thoughts are appreciated!

>John

Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Moving Oracle records to MS SQL Server using MS Access
You could export the Oracle date to ASCII delimited files then use SQL
Server bcp (bulk copy program) to import the files to SQL Server.  There is
more info on bcp in SQL Server books online.

--
Bob Pfeiff
MCSD, SQL Server MVP

Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Moving Oracle records to MS SQL Server using MS Access
I'ld go for the ascii export. So dump the records into text files (using
PL/SQL or SQL*Plus), then use bcp to read them into SQL server.
Whatever you do, don't try inserting them into the new tables using ODBC
(unless of course you've got, say, two weeks or so).

G'luck
Gabri

Quote:

>I want to transfer a 10 million record database from Oracle into SQL Server
>using MS Access 97.

>What is the fastest method in which to do this?

>Your thoughts are appreciated!

>John

Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Complicated Record Handling on MS Sql server and MS Accesses Databases

2. Executing MS SQL Server 2000 stored procs via MS Access 2000

3. CA-Prog Analyst, MS SQL Server, Visual Basic and MS Access

4. Access to MS ACCES and MS SQL server

5. **** Send a mailing using MS ACCESS 95 with or without MS EXCHANGE SERVER *****

6. Q: Obtaining SQL Server Default Values While Adding Records in MS Access

7. Export Access records to SQL Server/Oracle using ADO

8. Accessing current record in MS Access with DDE from MS Word

9. Regarding Accessing External database using MS-Access and MS-Visual Basic

10. Application Development: MS-Access, Visual Basic, SQL Server, SQL Anywhere

11. 2PC Tx. with Oracle Rdb and MS SQL Server

12. Oracle vs MS SQL Server