Open a doc, grab a range without having the whole doc being tabled
Author Message
 Open a doc, grab a range without having the whole doc being tabled

Is it possible to open a doc with VBA code from another doc and then get
some bookmark.ranges, without having to wait for the whole doc being build?

I want to open each doc in a directory and then grab the bookmark.ranges,
print them, and close the doc's again.

( and here comes the problem!! )
But because the doc's have got a lot of pages with a whole lot of tables in
them, waiting seems like forever. So, is there anybody that has got a
suggestion in which way I have got to proceed.

Thx,

Mark G

Wed, 05 Nov 2003 02:16:53 GMT
 Open a doc, grab a range without having the whole doc being tabled

Mark,

Is it because the tables are linked to another source and the waiting
for the document to be "built" is because those links are updated when
the file is opened?  If so, could you solve it just by clearing the
Update Automatic Links At Open option (in Tools-> Options-> General),
either manually or -- maybe best -- programmatically & then returning
it to its original setting at the end of the macro?

------ WWW: http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard ----------------------
------------- "Life is nothing if you aren't obsessed." --John Waters

> Is it possible to open a doc with VBA code from another doc and then get
> some bookmark.ranges, without having to wait for the whole doc being build?

> I want to open each doc in a directory and then grab the bookmark.ranges,
> print them, and close the doc's again.

> ( and here comes the problem!! )
> But because the doc's have got a lot of pages with a whole lot of tables in
> them, waiting seems like forever. So, is there anybody that has got a
> suggestion in which way I have got to proceed.

> Thx,

> Mark G

Wed, 05 Nov 2003 07:14:41 GMT
 Open a doc, grab a range without having the whole doc being tabled
Hi Mark,

Not really. If the document takes a long time to open, it just takes a long
time.

You might be able to make things go a bit quicker if the document is
currently on a network drive. Try copying it to the C drive and opening it
there. That sometimes makes things go faster.

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP

Quote:
> Is it possible to open a doc with VBA code from another doc and then get
> some bookmark.ranges, without having to wait for the whole doc being
build?

> I want to open each doc in a directory and then grab the bookmark.ranges,
> print them, and close the doc's again.

> ( and here comes the problem!! )
> But because the doc's have got a lot of pages with a whole lot of tables
in
> them, waiting seems like forever. So, is there anybody that has got a
> suggestion in which way I have got to proceed.

> Thx,

> Mark G

Wed, 05 Nov 2003 07:36:23 GMT
 Open a doc, grab a range without having the whole doc being tabled
Thanks Mark for that one,

It was not quite the same, but you brought me in new direction. I think I
know what it is and I can use some help to put that in code. I'll explain
what I figured out so far.

docRuncode opens doc2 to get some info, then close, then opens doc3 and so
on and so on

doc2 has a reference set to (a timeconsuming) .dot, which is read only and
is forbidden to edit that one. That same dot also has it's one Sub
AutoOpen() and Sub AutoNew().

here it comes:
When I open the dot and I manually stop the AutoOpen() from executing and
THEN (while the .dot stays open) run the program written in docRuncode and
leave it open while docRuncode is running and is collecting the info from
all the doc2 to doc999. Well, wow, the speed of lighting has just arrived.

I had to close the dot after I got my info manually, of course.

So, now I still need the code that does just that for me.

AnyOne ?

Tia

Mark G

Quote:

> Mark,

> Is it because the tables are linked to another source and the waiting
> for the document to be "built" is because those links are updated when
> the file is opened?  If so, could you solve it just by clearing the
> Update Automatic Links At Open option (in Tools-> Options-> General),
> either manually or -- maybe best -- programmatically & then returning
> it to its original setting at the end of the macro?

> ------ WWW: http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard ----------------------
> ------------- "Life is nothing if you aren't obsessed." --John Waters

> > Is it possible to open a doc with VBA code from another doc and then get
> > some bookmark.ranges, without having to wait for the whole doc being
build?

> > I want to open each doc in a directory and then grab the
bookmark.ranges,
> > print them, and close the doc's again.

> > ( and here comes the problem!! )
> > But because the doc's have got a lot of pages with a whole lot of tables
in
> > them, waiting seems like forever. So, is there anybody that has got a
> > suggestion in which way I have got to proceed.

> > Thx,

> > Mark G

Wed, 05 Nov 2003 15:47:50 GMT
 Open a doc, grab a range without having the whole doc being tabled
*
*
*  Found it , thanks all.
*
*
:-)

Quote:
> Thanks Mark for that one,

> It was not quite the same, but you brought me in new direction. I think I
> know what it is and I can use some help to put that in code. I'll explain
> what I figured out so far.

> docRuncode opens doc2 to get some info, then close, then opens doc3 and so
> on and so on

> doc2 has a reference set to (a timeconsuming) .dot, which is read only and
> is forbidden to edit that one. That same dot also has it's one Sub
> AutoOpen() and Sub AutoNew().

> here it comes:
> When I open the dot and I manually stop the AutoOpen() from executing and
> THEN (while the .dot stays open) run the program written in docRuncode and
> leave it open while docRuncode is running and is collecting the info from
> all the doc2 to doc999. Well, wow, the speed of lighting has just arrived.

> I had to close the dot after I got my info manually, of course.

> So, now I still need the code that does just that for me.

> AnyOne ?

> Tia

> Mark G

> > Mark,

> > Is it because the tables are linked to another source and the waiting
> > for the document to be "built" is because those links are updated when
> > the file is opened?  If so, could you solve it just by clearing the
> > Update Automatic Links At Open option (in Tools-> Options-> General),
> > either manually or -- maybe best -- programmatically & then returning
> > it to its original setting at the end of the macro?

> > ------ WWW: http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard ----------------------
> > ------------- "Life is nothing if you aren't obsessed." --John Waters

> > > Is it possible to open a doc with VBA code from another doc and then
get
> > > some bookmark.ranges, without having to wait for the whole doc being
> build?

> > > I want to open each doc in a directory and then grab the
> bookmark.ranges,
> > > print them, and close the doc's again.

> > > ( and here comes the problem!! )
> > > But because the doc's have got a lot of pages with a whole lot of
tables
> in
> > > them, waiting seems like forever. So, is there anybody that has got a
> > > suggestion in which way I have got to proceed.

> > > Thx,

> > > Mark G

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 00:46:32 GMT
 Open a doc, grab a range without having the whole doc being tabled

What was the solution?  I'd like to know.

Quote:

> *
> *
> *  Found it , thanks all.
> *
> *
> :-)

> > Thanks Mark for that one,

> > It was not quite the same, but you brought me in new direction. I think I
> > know what it is and I can use some help to put that in code. I'll explain
> > what I figured out so far.

> > docRuncode opens doc2 to get some info, then close, then opens doc3 and so
> > on and so on

> > doc2 has a reference set to (a timeconsuming) .dot, which is read only and
> > is forbidden to edit that one. That same dot also has it's one Sub
> > AutoOpen() and Sub AutoNew().

> > here it comes:
> > When I open the dot and I manually stop the AutoOpen() from executing and
> > THEN (while the .dot stays open) run the program written in docRuncode and
> > leave it open while docRuncode is running and is collecting the info from
> > all the doc2 to doc999. Well, wow, the speed of lighting has just arrived.

> > I had to close the dot after I got my info manually, of course.

> > So, now I still need the code that does just that for me.

> > AnyOne ?

> > Tia

> > Mark G

> > > Mark,

> > > Is it because the tables are linked to another source and the waiting
> > > for the document to be "built" is because those links are updated when
> > > the file is opened?  If so, could you solve it just by clearing the
> > > Update Automatic Links At Open option (in Tools-> Options-> General),
> > > either manually or -- maybe best -- programmatically & then returning
> > > it to its original setting at the end of the macro?

> > > ------ WWW: http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard ----------------------
> > > ------------- "Life is nothing if you aren't obsessed." --John Waters

> get
> > build?

> > bookmark.ranges,

> tables
> > in

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:00:11 GMT
 Open a doc, grab a range without having the whole doc being tabled
First I opened .dot template and kept it open in the readonly mode, then I
ran through all the files like Open, getinfo, close and at the end, I closed
the template again. And this performing speed was so much better, because
the template was already loaded and they all used that same template.

Quote:

> What was the solution?  I'd like to know.

> > *
> > *
> > *  Found it , thanks all.
> > *
> > *
> > :-)

> > > Thanks Mark for that one,

> > > It was not quite the same, but you brought me in new direction. I
think I
> > > know what it is and I can use some help to put that in code. I'll
explain
> > > what I figured out so far.

> > > docRuncode opens doc2 to get some info, then close, then opens doc3
and so
> > > on and so on

> > > doc2 has a reference set to (a timeconsuming) .dot, which is read only
and
> > > is forbidden to edit that one. That same dot also has it's one Sub
> > > AutoOpen() and Sub AutoNew().

> > > here it comes:
> > > When I open the dot and I manually stop the AutoOpen() from executing
and
> > > THEN (while the .dot stays open) run the program written in docRuncode
and
> > > leave it open while docRuncode is running and is collecting the info
from
> > > all the doc2 to doc999. Well, wow, the speed of lighting has just
arrived.

> > > I had to close the dot after I got my info manually, of course.

> > > So, now I still need the code that does just that for me.

> > > AnyOne ?

> > > Tia

> > > Mark G

General),

Quote:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard ----------------------

Waters

> > get
> > > build?

> > > bookmark.ranges,

> > tables
> > > in

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:14:37 GMT

1. Auto close open doc when opening another doc

2. Open word 97 doc with doc name as variable

3. Opening a Word97 doc as a copy with no doc title

4. Printing Doc Without Opening Word

5. Printing multiple Word doc files without opening each in word

6. Opening a Word Doc from Access with File Name Stored in a Table

7. Apply Size/Orientation to Whole Doc

8. Auto Download of doc files into new doc file from a web site

9. Saving a doc with name from doc text

10. pub doc and word doc on same screen

11. How do you drop doc files from a intranet site into a new word doc

12. Inserting a doc into another doc