Showing Modal Dialog Boxes in COM Add-Ins
Author Message
 Showing Modal Dialog Boxes in COM Add-Ins

In Building Applications with MS Outlook 2002, the author
claims that modal dialog boxes should not be shown
directly from a COM add-in.  He claims that modal dialogs
will cause either Outlook or the COM add-in to hang, and
that only modeless dialogs should be shown.

Does anyone know whether this is true?  I created a test
modal userform and it seems to work fine.

Many thanks.

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 03:08:42 GMT
 Showing Modal Dialog Boxes in COM Add-Ins
Except that your dialog may or may not have a separate button on the
taskbar. Try to show your dialog, then switch to a different app, then click
Outlook's button on the taskbar - chances are Outlook window will come to
the foreground, but you won't be able to do anything with it unless you
manage to bring your dialog up front and close it.
On the Win API level, you need to specify the Outlook window as the parent
of your dialog, but I don't think VB would let you do that.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Quote:
> In Building Applications with MS Outlook 2002, the author
> claims that modal dialog boxes should not be shown
> directly from a COM add-in.  He claims that modal dialogs
> will cause either Outlook or the COM add-in to hang, and
> that only modeless dialogs should be shown.

> Does anyone know whether this is true?  I created a test
> modal userform and it seems to work fine.

> Many thanks.

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 04:33:20 GMT

1. Show a form modal to Outlook via a COM Add-in

2. Excel Add-in displaying non-modal dialog box

3. COM Add-INs, cannot restore a built-in Add-in

4. Dialog Boxes - Application Modal vs. System Modal

5. api stuff not showing under add-ins menu...

6. api stuff not showing under add-ins menu...

7. How protect my com add-ins in outlook

8. How hide menuitens like tools options or disable com-add ins button

9. Software to write a COM add-ins

10. Com Add-ins (menus)

11. Outlook 2002 COM Add-ins in VS.Net RTM

12. Bug in Outlook Com Add-Ins ???