Use of radio buttons in a WORD document
Author Message
 Use of radio buttons in a WORD document

I don't seem to see support to add radio buttons as a group within a WORD
document.  I want to create a questionnaire in WORD, with multiple choice
answers, but that are mutually exclusive.  So I'm thinking a radio button
for each answer is the way to go, but I can't seem to find out how to
- group the radio buttons
- and make them mutually exclusive.

Am I using the wrong facility for this?

Thanks

Mon, 03 May 2004 03:24:35 GMT
 Use of radio buttons in a WORD document
Hi Geoff,

If you are using the radio buttons available from the
Controls toolbar (View>Toolbars and check controls) if you
right click on each button in turn that you want to group
so that they are mutually exclusing and select the
Properties item from the menu that appears, you can enter
a name for the group in the Properties window that appears.

You don't have to close that window every time, just click
in the document, then select the next radio button and
then the space for the group name is cleared ready for you
to enter the group for the selected button.

Please post any follow up or new questions to the
newsgroups so that others may participate or benefit
therefrom.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Quote:

Mon, 03 May 2004 07:49:05 GMT
 Use of radio buttons in a WORD document
Hi solcorp,

You can do this with Check Box form fields if you place them in Frames and
assign the following as the entry macro to all these fields. The Check Box
form fields in each Frame will then be mutually exclusive.

Dim oField As FormField

For Each oField In Selection.Frames(1).Range.FormFields
    oField.CheckBox.Value = False
Next oField

Selection.FormFields(1).CheckBox.Value = True

Hope this helps.
ibby

Please post replies or follow-ups to the **newsgroup** so that participants
may benefit or contribute.

Mon, 03 May 2004 15:16:20 GMT
 Use of radio buttons in a WORD document
Thanks Doug for this advice.  I had actually started out this way, but
couldn't see the results at all - until I exitted Design mode from that
toolbar.

I think this will do the trick for me, but I'm wondering if there's a
shorter route to creating so many buttons.  On a document with many
questions, and 5 answers apiece, the sheer volume of buttons to create seems
very high.  I tried cut and paste, but this seems to renumber all of the
buttons (i.e the first button i added is no longer objectbutton1, its
something else).  This gets a bit confusing when trying to group these
together.
I also could not click in the document to modify the group name for each
button - i get what you're saying - it just didn't change the object
properties dialogue to correspond to my new button.  I ended up
right-clicking and selecting properties for each button.

I really do appreciate the excellent advice you've given - hope you don't
mind that i shoved it under VBA for beginners - i couldn't see another
newsgroup to put it under.

Geoff

Quote:
> Hi Geoff,

> If you are using the radio buttons available from the
> Controls toolbar (View>Toolbars and check controls) if you
> right click on each button in turn that you want to group
> so that they are mutually exclusing and select the
> Properties item from the menu that appears, you can enter
> a name for the group in the Properties window that appears.

> You don't have to close that window every time, just click
> in the document, then select the next radio button and
> then the space for the group name is cleared ready for you
> to enter the group for the selected button.

> Please post any follow up or new questions to the
> newsgroups so that others may participate or benefit
> therefrom.

> Hope this helps,
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Tue, 04 May 2004 22:23:04 GMT
 Use of radio buttons in a WORD document
thanks ibby.  I'm going to stick with the non-coding solution for now - i'm
more comfortable with the approach Doug Robbins recommended - for now.  I
may come back to this though.

Many thanks again though.

Quote:
> Hi solcorp,

> You can do this with Check Box form fields if you place them in Frames and
> assign the following as the entry macro to all these fields. The Check Box
> form fields in each Frame will then be mutually exclusive.

> Dim oField As FormField

> For Each oField In Selection.Frames(1).Range.FormFields
>     oField.CheckBox.Value = False
> Next oField

> Selection.FormFields(1).CheckBox.Value = True

> Hope this helps.
> ibby

> Please post replies or follow-ups to the **newsgroup** so that
participants
> may benefit or contribute.

Tue, 04 May 2004 22:24:42 GMT

1. Help with Radio Buttons in Word forms

2. using tab to select radio buttons

3. Using Radio Buttons with Integer Field

4. database lookup using radio buttons

5. refering to a radio button using a variable...

6. Updateing Frame using onclick function of a radio button

7. Print a word document built from multiple sub documents using the RD tag

8. Disable button and change button value at radio

9. Query on a Word document using the Word object

10. accessing word document through vb.net using word com object

11. Cutting a full Word document and pasting it in another Word Document

12. Making button that E-mails an entire word doucment from within the document