DOCVARIABLE not "updateable" (F9)
Author Message
 DOCVARIABLE not "updateable" (F9)

I am automating Word thru a VB application. My Word Doc is
full of DOCVARIABLE fields which I update using .Fields
(idx).Result.Text = "Some new value". Nothing particularly
remarkable.

This works fine. I am able to insert text in Headers,
Footers, and the Main Body. But when opening the created
document later in Word I discovered that if I update the
fields (F9), the values for the DOCVARIABLE fields in the
Main Body - disappear! No error! The value is just gone.

If I use F9 on fields in the Headers and Footers the
values remain just as one would expect.

What am I missing?
(Should I post all the relevant code?)

Thanks,
-ralph

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:07:08 GMT
 DOCVARIABLE not "updateable" (F9)
Hi Ralph,

First be sure that the document variables exist (I know, master of the
obvious):

MsgBox ActiveDocument.Variables("Test").Value

If they exist and the fields "disappear", then turn on field codes so that
we know that only the result of the field is an empty string and that the
field hasn't truly disappeared. After that (and if you can't figure out
what's happening), send a sample of the field that you're using and the code
you use to write the Variables value.

HTH

Quote:
> I am automating Word thru a VB application. My Word Doc is
> full of DOCVARIABLE fields which I update using .Fields
> (idx).Result.Text = "Some new value". Nothing particularly
> remarkable.

> This works fine. I am able to insert text in Headers,
> Footers, and the Main Body. But when opening the created
> document later in Word I discovered that if I update the
> fields (F9), the values for the DOCVARIABLE fields in the
> Main Body - disappear! No error! The value is just gone.

> If I use F9 on fields in the Headers and Footers the
> values remain just as one would expect.

> What am I missing?
> (Should I post all the relevant code?)

> Thanks,
> -ralph

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:16:15 GMT
 DOCVARIABLE not "updateable" (F9)

After careful review (thanks to your comment about the
obvious, I went and got another pair of eyes. <g>) I
discovered that the "result" of an assignment to a
DOCVARIABLE field ...
{ DOCVARIABLE "ConsumerName" \* MERGEFORMAT }
in a header produced this...
{ DOCVARIABLE "ConsumerName" \* MERGEFORMAT }James R. Jones

Note: the text is inserted outside the 'field' immediately
after it. This was not what I expected. (I guess I am just
a newbie after all. smile)

Therefore the 'fields' in the header with the fields not
showing - display the correct text, because the text is
written to the document. The fields themselves display NO
value. But the 'fields' themselves never did display any
values.

The 'fields' in the main body actually display the value.
The reason the 'fields' in the header didn't looked
affected is because after the (F9) the field
display "nothing" but the text was still there. (Make
sense? I hope so, because I am throughly confused at this
point. <g> )

Apparently my method of "updating" fields is all wet. My
code follows...

With moWD
For iSect = 1 To .Sections.Count
        ' Headers
    With .Sections(iSect).Headers
(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range
        For idx = 1 To .Fields.Count
            If .Fields(idx).Type = wdFieldDocVariable Then
                sTmp = GetFieldVarName(.Fields(idx))
                With .Fields(idx).Result
                    Select Case sTmp
                        Case "ConsumerName"
                            .Text = mDetail.ConsumerName
                    End Select
                End With
            End If
        Next idx
    End With
    For idx = 1 To .Fields.Count
        If .Fields(idx).Type = wdFieldDocVariable Then
            sTmp = GetFieldVarName(.Fields(idx))
            With .Fields(idx).Result
                Select Case sTmp
                    Case "ConsumerName"
                        .Text = mDetail.ConsumerName
                End Select
            End With
        End If
    Next idx
Next iSect
.SaveAs FileName:=msSaveFileName,
FileFormat:=wdFormatDocument, _
        ReadOnlyRecommended:=True
End With

It seems like the going the "way of ranges" allows me to
insert text using the 'field' as some kind
of 'marker/bookmark', but DOES NOT assign a value? While
using my method on the main body - DOES "assign the
value", but the effect isn't permanent.

Any suggestions?

[It seemed like such a good idea at the time. <smile>]
-ralph

Quote:

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:04:12 GMT
 DOCVARIABLE not "updateable" (F9)
Hi Ralph,

From what I can see, I think you might be handling this all wrong (sorry if
I'm mistaken). You seem to be trying to set the .text value of a document
variable field by changing the text of a specific field. This is not how
document variable fields work at all. Try this in a blank document. Insert a
field

{ DOCVARIABLE Test \* MERGEFORMAT }

Select the field and press F9 (don't deselect the field though). The field
result should be blank (i.e., you shouldn't see it). In VBA, run the
following routine

ActiveDocument.Variables.Add Name:="Test", Value:="myTest"

Switch back to Word and press F9. Run the following routine:
ActiveDocument.Fields(1).Result.text = "second test"

Switch back to Word. It nows appears that you've updated your document
variable, but that isn't so. Select the field and press F9. The more
appropriate way to add and update document variables is something like the
following:

Dim oVar As Variable

For Each oVar In ActiveDocument.Variables
    If oVar.Name = "Test" Then
        oVar.Value = "new value"
    Else
        ActiveDocument.Variables.Add Name:="Test", Value:="Start value"
    End If
Next oVar

HTH

Quote:

> After careful review (thanks to your comment about the
> obvious, I went and got another pair of eyes. <g>) I
> discovered that the "result" of an assignment to a
> DOCVARIABLE field ...
> { DOCVARIABLE "ConsumerName" \* MERGEFORMAT }
> in a header produced this...
> { DOCVARIABLE "ConsumerName" \* MERGEFORMAT }James R. Jones

> Note: the text is inserted outside the 'field' immediately
> after it. This was not what I expected. (I guess I am just
> a newbie after all. smile)

> Therefore the 'fields' in the header with the fields not
> showing - display the correct text, because the text is
> written to the document. The fields themselves display NO
> value. But the 'fields' themselves never did display any
> values.

> The 'fields' in the main body actually display the value.
> The reason the 'fields' in the header didn't looked
> affected is because after the (F9) the field
> display "nothing" but the text was still there. (Make
> sense? I hope so, because I am throughly confused at this
> point. <g> )

> Apparently my method of "updating" fields is all wet. My
> code follows...

> With moWD
> For iSect = 1 To .Sections.Count
>         ' Headers
>     With .Sections(iSect).Headers
> (wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range
>         For idx = 1 To .Fields.Count
>             If .Fields(idx).Type = wdFieldDocVariable Then
>                 sTmp = GetFieldVarName(.Fields(idx))
>                 With .Fields(idx).Result
>                     Select Case sTmp
>                         Case "ConsumerName"
>                             .Text = mDetail.ConsumerName
>                     End Select
>                 End With
>             End If
>         Next idx
>     End With
>     For idx = 1 To .Fields.Count
>         If .Fields(idx).Type = wdFieldDocVariable Then
>             sTmp = GetFieldVarName(.Fields(idx))
>             With .Fields(idx).Result
>                 Select Case sTmp
>                     Case "ConsumerName"
>                         .Text = mDetail.ConsumerName
>                 End Select
>             End With
>         End If
>     Next idx
> Next iSect
> .SaveAs FileName:=msSaveFileName,
> FileFormat:=wdFormatDocument, _
>         ReadOnlyRecommended:=True
> End With

> It seems like the going the "way of ranges" allows me to
> insert text using the 'field' as some kind
> of 'marker/bookmark', but DOES NOT assign a value? While
> using my method on the main body - DOES "assign the
> value", but the effect isn't permanent.

> Any suggestions?

> [It seemed like such a good idea at the time. <smile>]
> -ralph

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:33:39 GMT
 DOCVARIABLE not "updateable" (F9)
Note that DocVariable fields in headers will crash Word 97!
--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

Word Resources Page

See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Quote:
> I am automating Word thru a VB application. My Word Doc is
> full of DOCVARIABLE fields which I update using .Fields
> (idx).Result.Text = "Some new value". Nothing particularly
> remarkable.

> This works fine. I am able to insert text in Headers,
> Footers, and the Main Body. But when opening the created
> document later in Word I discovered that if I update the
> fields (F9), the values for the DOCVARIABLE fields in the
> Main Body - disappear! No error! The value is just gone.

> If I use F9 on fields in the Headers and Footers the
> values remain just as one would expect.

> What am I missing?
> (Should I post all the relevant code?)

> Thanks,
> -ralph

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 07:14:14 GMT
 DOCVARIABLE not "updateable" (F9)
Thanks Dave for your reply.
And thanks Charles for the warning.

I changed my method to using that which Dave suggested,
but now I get either the same problem (F9 clears the field
and the value is lost) or I get sporadic problems with a
particular docvariable not found, and/or when even added
not showing up in the saved file.

Agggghhhhhhh!

I have been reduced to a small child rolled up in a fetal
postion under my desk, clutching my Word Object Library
printout, muttering "I thought I could do this, I thought
I could do this, ...".

All I wanted to do was open a selected template, fill some
fields with data, and save the document out to be later
massaged by someone else, and do it from VB using
automation. This was to be a few hours addin feature to an
existing project. I told my boss - No problem. It has been
a week now... (Sorry I am starting to ramble.)

So far I have played with selections, bookmarks, ranges,
docvariables, macros, cut 'n paste (clipboard), ... The
horror has been that just about everything "works" to some
degree or another - but breaks down somewhere else. Can
complete madness be far behind?

Gentlemen, in your opinion how does one go about doing
this? I don't need complete code, just a pointer to
a "best practices". Should I abandon using docvariables?
Should I just use a plain text ("<<place address here>>")
replacement technique? Should I go back to defining ranges
with bookmarks? What?

Thanks,
-ralph

Quote:

all wrong (sorry if
> [...]

>>             sTmp = GetFieldVarName(.Fields(idx))
>>             With .Fields(idx).Result
>>                 Select Case sTmp
>>                     Case "ConsumerName"
>>                         .Text = mDetail.ConsumerName
>>                 End Select
>>             End With
>>         End If
>>     Next idx
>> Next iSect
>> .SaveAs FileName:=msSaveFileName,
>> FileFormat:=wdFormatDocument, _
>>         ReadOnlyRecommended:=True
>> End With

>> It seems like the going the "way of ranges" allows me to
>> insert text using the 'field' as some kind
>> of 'marker/bookmark', but DOES NOT assign a value? While
>> using my method on the main body - DOES "assign the
>> value", but the effect isn't permanent.

>> Any suggestions?

>> [It seemed like such a good idea at the time. <smile>]

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:52:09 GMT
 DOCVARIABLE not "updateable" (F9)
Hi Ralph,

Nice of you to join the rest of us under the desk. Word does that eventually
to us all, I think!  :^)

If the information you are placing in the document is not changing after
creation, IMHO the bookmarks method of insertion conjoined with saving
additional non-printing information about the document in document variables
(docvars) works the best. In my specific case, we create and modify
approximately 5000-10,000 documents annually for the Nevada State
Legislature (Bill Drafts,Bills, Amendments, etc) using this method with an
essential screwup rate of zero for creating the documents. Modification
screwup rates are higher, since the user can (and does) kill the bookmarks
occasionally. I have code to ensure document integrity (e.g., bookmarks
exist and in the right places) on the BeforeClose Event. Still, even with
that, I can't completely save these folks from themselves. There is the
occasional manual intervention necessary to set a bookmark (or docvar)
correctly. I can specifically recall 4 such times since our session started;
approximately 4500 documents ago though there may have been more.

Again, just my opinion.

HTH and see you under the desk again sometime!

Steve

Quote:
> Thanks Dave for your reply.
> And thanks Charles for the warning.

> I changed my method to using that which Dave suggested,
> but now I get either the same problem (F9 clears the field
> and the value is lost) or I get sporadic problems with a
> particular docvariable not found, and/or when even added
> not showing up in the saved file.

> Agggghhhhhhh!

> I have been reduced to a small child rolled up in a fetal
> postion under my desk, clutching my Word Object Library
> printout, muttering "I thought I could do this, I thought
> I could do this, ...".

> All I wanted to do was open a selected template, fill some
> fields with data, and save the document out to be later
> massaged by someone else, and do it from VB using
> automation. This was to be a few hours addin feature to an
> existing project. I told my boss - No problem. It has been
> a week now... (Sorry I am starting to ramble.)

> So far I have played with selections, bookmarks, ranges,
> docvariables, macros, cut 'n paste (clipboard), ... The
> horror has been that just about everything "works" to some
> degree or another - but breaks down somewhere else. Can
> complete madness be far behind?

> Gentlemen, in your opinion how does one go about doing
> this? I don't need complete code, just a pointer to
> a "best practices". Should I abandon using docvariables?
> Should I just use a plain text ("<<place address here>>")
> replacement technique? Should I go back to defining ranges
> with bookmarks? What?

> Thanks,
> -ralph

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:17:41 GMT

1. "must use updateable query" Question

2. *"*-.,._,.-*"* I"LL TRADE VISUAL C++ FOR VBASIC *"*-.,_,.-*"*

3. : VB6 Problem: "The memory could not be "read"/"written""

4. VB6 Problem: "The memory could not be "read"/"written""

5. GetObject("","InternetExplorer.Application") fails in Excel VBA

6. SysCmd 603, "path","path"

7. Disabling "BACK"/"FORWARD" buttons

8. Loop print "VARIABLE", "VARIABLE"

9. DLL or something like "#"#ยค#"!"#

10. Disabling "BACK"/"FORWARD" buttons

12. Problem With "window.showmodaldialog("")"