EntryID mayhem
Author Message
 EntryID mayhem

Hello there,
I have an Outlook 2k solution which extends
AppointmentItems. Separately, I have a server-side MAPI
wrapper component (basically, a convenient way for clients
to query CDO for appointments with certain custom
properties). There's a good reason for this so, without
wanting to go into too many details, let's just assume for
now that I'm not nuts and the server-side component has to
interrogate an Exchange mailbox without being
Outlook/Exchange-specific. Now then...once the relevant
appointment is found, the component returns its ID from
MAPI (ie - the PR_ENTRYID property). The Outlook 2k
solution (which IS Outlook-specific(obviously!) attempts
to use this EntryID in a call to NameSpace.GetItemFromID
so that the appointment can be displayed. However, the IDs
are always different! ie - The entry ID returned from MAPI
is not recognised as a valid AppointmentItem in the
relevant folder. Outlook's interpretation of a particular
item's EntryID is always different to MAPI's
interpretation of the same item. Anyone come across this
before? Can anyone help?

By the way, what happened to the Outlook addins newsgroup?
Dave

Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:06:58 GMT
 EntryID mayhem
Entry ids will be different if you are using different user contexts.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Quote:
> Hello there,
> I have an Outlook 2k solution which extends
> AppointmentItems. Separately, I have a server-side MAPI
> wrapper component (basically, a convenient way for clients
> to query CDO for appointments with certain custom
> properties). There's a good reason for this so, without
> wanting to go into too many details, let's just assume for
> now that I'm not nuts and the server-side component has to
> interrogate an Exchange mailbox without being
> Outlook/Exchange-specific. Now then...once the relevant
> appointment is found, the component returns its ID from
> MAPI (ie - the PR_ENTRYID property). The Outlook 2k
> solution (which IS Outlook-specific(obviously!) attempts
> to use this EntryID in a call to NameSpace.GetItemFromID
> so that the appointment can be displayed. However, the IDs
> are always different! ie - The entry ID returned from MAPI
> is not recognised as a valid AppointmentItem in the
> relevant folder. Outlook's interpretation of a particular
> item's EntryID is always different to MAPI's
> interpretation of the same item. Anyone come across this
> before? Can anyone help?

> By the way, what happened to the Outlook addins newsgroup?
> Dave

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 03:26:33 GMT

1. Text Box Mayhem

2. Disk Space Mayhem!!!

3. Newsreader Mayhem!

4. EntryID

5. EntryID problem

6. error using Restrict on entryID -2147352567 (VB)

7. Null EntryID on "Save and New"

8. EntryID property for MailItems

9. accessing the EntryID property takes too long

10. EntryID returns nothing.

11. Outlook EntryID

12. MailItem EntryID