Finding item that link TO contacts.
Author Message
 Finding item that link TO contacts.

Hi,

Is there any simple way to find object that link to a Contact without having
to search though all item and see if they link to the contact?

Chris

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:46:53 GMT
 Finding item that link TO contacts.
Did you try Link.Item?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions

Quote:

> Hi,

> Is there any simple way to find object that link to a Contact without having
> to search though all item and see if they link to the contact?

> Chris

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 02:49:07 GMT
 Finding item that link TO contacts.
Sorry, my original question was a little confused. We want to find out what
items link to a given contact.

I.E. if we have a known contact we are dealing with, can we find out what
other item (emails, journals, tasks etc) actually linked TO the contact
without searching through all items and checking to see if their links
collection contains a link to the contact.

If my understanding is correct, the VBA links collection will only contain
contacts, so if a user right clicks a contact and "links to" say a email
item, the mail item itself will contain a link to the contact, but the
contact will not actually contain a link to the mail item.

Is this correct? Is there any other way to find out all items that link to a
given contact without searching all items? Basically what we would like to
be able to do is get to the items FROM the contact.

Thanks again in advance.

Chris

Did you try Link.Item?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions
   at http://www.slipstick.com

Quote:
> Hi,

> Is there any simple way to find object that link to a Contact without
having
> to search though all item and see if they link to the contact?

> Chris

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:20:48 GMT
 Finding item that link TO contacts.
No, you must go through all possible linked items. To find out what items link to a particular contact, for each folder where such items might be stored, you need to loop through all the items in that folder, then check the Links collection for matches. Now you understand why the Activities page is on the slow side.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions
   at http://www.slipstick.com

Quote:

> Sorry, my original question was a little confused. We want to find out what
> items link to a given contact.

> I.E. if we have a known contact we are dealing with, can we find out what
> other item (emails, journals, tasks etc) actually linked TO the contact
> without searching through all items and checking to see if their links
> collection contains a link to the contact.

> If my understanding is correct, the VBA links collection will only contain
> contacts, so if a user right clicks a contact and "links to" say a email
> item, the mail item itself will contain a link to the contact, but the
> contact will not actually contain a link to the mail item.

> Is this correct? Is there any other way to find out all items that link to a
> given contact without searching all items? Basically what we would like to
> be able to do is get to the items FROM the contact.

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:47:41 GMT
 Finding item that link TO contacts.
We're getting there......

Slowly!

Thanks for the help - again

Chris

No, you must go through all possible linked items. To find out what items
link to a particular contact, for each folder where such items might be
stored, you need to loop through all the items in that folder, then check
the Links collection for matches. Now you understand why the Activities page
is on the slow side.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions
   at http://www.slipstick.com

Quote:
> Sorry, my original question was a little confused. We want to find out
what
> items link to a given contact.

> I.E. if we have a known contact we are dealing with, can we find out what
> other item (emails, journals, tasks etc) actually linked TO the contact
> without searching through all items and checking to see if their links
> collection contains a link to the contact.

> If my understanding is correct, the VBA links collection will only contain
> contacts, so if a user right clicks a contact and "links to" say a email
> item, the mail item itself will contain a link to the contact, but the
> contact will not actually contain a link to the mail item.

> Is this correct? Is there any other way to find out all items that link to
> given contact without searching all items? Basically what we would like to
> be able to do is get to the items FROM the contact.

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 00:30:30 GMT

1. Linking Recipients to Contact Item???

2. Contact and journal item link

3. Find Contact Items by LAST name

4. find contacts of mail item

5. How do I programmatically link contact to contact?

6. Adding a contact link in the Links Collection

7. Find a contact in Outlook contact or in a access database

8. attached Contact Item on server-side becomes attached Mail Item on client-side

9. attached contact item is received as mail item

10. Creating a tree view of items each with a link to the parent item

11. Transferring standard contact data from standard contact forms into contact custom forms

12. vba items.find how to find a quoted word within a subject in outlook