Return values from other programs...
Author Message
 Return values from other programs...

Is there a way for Access to get hold of return values from other programs,
like from Outlook? For now, this is the only way that I know of to verify
that the program that was called by Access executed successfully or not.
Like for example, I have an Access app. that does some emailing stuff and
wouldn't it be nice if the app. knew that the email it sent out successfully
reached the intended recipient?

Thanks a lot.

Sunny

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Return values from other programs...
Hi Sunny,

You can use ExitCodeProcess to some extent from VB.  However, I don't think
it's recommended very highly.

With Outlook, you might have better luck using CDO to check the InBox for
any failure messages.  That's the only way I think that you can be sure
whether an email send was successful or not.

HTH
--
Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
---------------

Quote:
>Is there a way for Access to get hold of return values from other programs,
>like from Outlook? For now, this is the only way that I know of to verify
>that the program that was called by Access executed successfully or not.
>Like for example, I have an Access app. that does some emailing stuff and
>wouldn't it be nice if the app. knew that the email it sent out
successfully
>reached the intended recipient?

>Thanks a lot.

>Sunny

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Return values from other programs...
Thanks Dev for the input. Could you tell me then what are the constants(?)
or error codes that are returned when the email was sent successfully or
not.

Thanks again.

Sunny

:Hi Sunny,
:
:You can use ExitCodeProcess to some extent from VB.  However, I don't think
:it's recommended very highly.
:
:With Outlook, you might have better luck using CDO to check the InBox for
:any failure messages.  That's the only way I think that you can be sure
:whether an email send was successful or not.
:
:HTH
:--
:Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
:---------------
:The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
:---------------
:

Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Return values from other programs...
Hi Sunny,

If you have Outlook 98/Exchange 5 installed, then download the CDO help file
from MS support site.  This is from the same help file.

The Message object contains two properties that can direct the underlying
MAPI system to report successful receipt of the message: DeliveryReceipt and
ReadReceipt.

When you set these properties to True and send the message, the underlying
MAPI system automatically tracks the message for you. When you set the
DeliveryReceipt property, the MAPI system automatically generates a message
to the sender reporting when the recipient receives the message. When you
set the ReadReceipt property, the MAPI system automatically generates a
message to the sender reporting when the recipient reads the message.
Delivery and read notification may not be supported by all messaging
systems.

And AFAIK, only a confirm message can be generated, no error code are
generated upon successful generated.

HTH
--
Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
---------------

Quote:

>Thanks Dev for the input. Could you tell me then what are the constants(?)
>or error codes that are returned when the email was sent successfully or
>not.

>Thanks again.

>Sunny

>:Hi Sunny,
>:
>:You can use ExitCodeProcess to some extent from VB.  However, I don't
think
>:it's recommended very highly.
>:
>:With Outlook, you might have better luck using CDO to check the InBox for
>:any failure messages.  That's the only way I think that you can be sure
>:whether an email send was successful or not.
>:
>:HTH
>:--
>:Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
>:---------------
>:The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
>:---------------
>:

Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. how to get a return value from a exe program to DOS (string)

2. Returning a value from a program that is running using the Shell command

3. Batch-programming->returning a value (VBX/OCX?)

4. HELP: Returning values from a V.B. program

5. Return value from a VB program

6. Return values on program exit

7. Return Values of VB programs

8. Get return value from a external exe program

9. problem using component with asp page -- result of function not returned, instead original value returned

10. Returning Recordset and Return Value from Command Object

11. Using a value to return a value

12. Main report value<-pass/return->subReport values (ActiveX Designer Component 6.0)