Access drastically slowed by Norton Anti-Virus 5 testing of .mdb files
Author Message
 Access drastically slowed by Norton Anti-Virus 5 testing of .mdb files

I've discovered that Symantec's new NAV 5 adds some five seconds to the
time required to both open and close a five meg Access 97 .mdb file. It's
set up by default to check all files with the extension .mdb. Remove that
and you will get your performance back. Access files are commonly on the
large size so I'd imagine it takes NAV those five seconds to scan a five
meg file, the time goes up or down relative to the file size.

Seems to me this is a really bad default behavior, one of the worst I've
ever seen. I know it's now possible to have an virus infected Access
file, but I've never heard of one actually having been found in the wild.
Of course I just might be out of the loop, although I am a full time
Access developer, and if it was a *real* problem I'd likely have heard of
it. What kind of experience have the rest of you had? Any infections?

So Symantec is going to bog down thousands (maybe *hundreds of
thousands*) of folks' machines to protect against a virus that is more or
less not an issue that I know of. Most users are not going to know enough
to be able to track down the root of the sudden slowing, or if they
figure it out, have the know-how or confidence to remove the .mdb
protection. Could there be any rational reason that Symantec did this? Is
there an .mdb infection crisis that I've somehow missed? Doesn't it seem
that this setting could have been optional (not a default)?

Michael Simcich
AccessTools

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

I agree 100% with your conclusion.

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Access drastically slowed by Norton Anti-Virus 5 testing of .mdb files
I didn't, but now I do, but I'm not too sure.  This whole discussion has
proved one thing, I'm fickle!
Quote:

>I agree 100% with your conclusion.

Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Access drastically slowed by Norton Anti-Virus 5 testing of .mdb files
I have not heard of a virus being in the wild for a access database.
Quote:

>I've discovered that Symantec's new NAV 5 adds some five seconds to the
>time required to both open and close a five meg Access 97 .mdb file. It's
>set up by default to check all files with the extension .mdb. Remove that
>and you will get your performance back. Access files are commonly on the
>large size so I'd imagine it takes NAV those five seconds to scan a five
>meg file, the time goes up or down relative to the file size.

>Seems to me this is a really bad default behavior, one of the worst I've
>ever seen. I know it's now possible to have an virus infected Access
>file, but I've never heard of one actually having been found in the wild.
>Of course I just might be out of the loop, although I am a full time
>Access developer, and if it was a *real* problem I'd likely have heard of
>it. What kind of experience have the rest of you had? Any infections?

>So Symantec is going to bog down thousands (maybe *hundreds of
>thousands*) of folks' machines to protect against a virus that is more or
>less not an issue that I know of. Most users are not going to know enough
>to be able to track down the root of the sudden slowing, or if they
>figure it out, have the know-how or confidence to remove the .mdb
>protection. Could there be any rational reason that Symantec did this? Is
>there an .mdb infection crisis that I've somehow missed? Doesn't it seem
>that this setting could have been optional (not a default)?

>Michael Simcich
>AccessTools

Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Word automation error with norton anti-virus

2. Norton AntiVirus Is slowing down all VB 16 Bit Apps

3. Norton Antivirus corrupting Access DB?

4. scan for virus programmatically in Outlook VBA using any anti virus software

5. Accessing .MDB file from remote file server thru slow LAN

6. Norton AntiVirus censors my VBA code

7. VB application versus Norton antivirus

8. norton antivirus alerts

9. Logon Script and Norton Antivirus

10. crystal report + norton antivirus

11. Norton antivirus and Crystal