Copying forms and reports between databases.
Author Message
 Copying forms and reports between databases.

I know how to import a form from another database within access 97, the
thing i want to do is us a Visual C++ or VB app to copy forms from one
access db to another.   A patch program if you will.  The Access DB uses an
mdw file and Admin has no privs, so i need to use a user id and password and
the MDW.

Does anyone know if DDE, OLE  or ADO can copy forms and reports between two
DBs?

Thanks,

Rob Edwards

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Copying forms and reports between databases.
If Access is installed on the machine, why not Automate it to use
Docmd.TransferDatabase or Docmd.CopyObject ??

 -- Dev

:
: Does anyone know if DDE, OLE  or ADO can copy forms and reports between
two
: DBs?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Rob Edwards
:
:

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Copying forms and reports between databases.
The problem i run into there is that the database is on the server and most
people know very little about access.  We have even kept the administrator
id and password secret from them.  I figure if i hardcode the admin password
and id in my C++ program, then all they need to know is Run the app when you
have a patch to install.  I'll look at your method too though, it still
might be a possibility.

BTW, i love your web site.  Half the "tricks" we added to our program i
either took from the information there or used as a base for my code.  It's
at the top of my Access Programming bookmarks.

Thanks,

Rob Edwards
President/CEO
Technically Possible, Inc.

Quote:
> If Access is installed on the machine, why not Automate it to use
> Docmd.TransferDatabase or Docmd.CopyObject ??

>  -- Dev

> : I know how to import a form from another database within access 97, the
> : thing i want to do is us a Visual C++ or VB app to copy forms from one
> : access db to another.   A patch program if you will.  The Access DB uses
> an
> : mdw file and Admin has no privs, so i need to use a user id and password
> and
> : the MDW.
> :
> : Does anyone know if DDE, OLE  or ADO can copy forms and reports between
> two
> : DBs?
> :
> : Thanks,
> :
> : Rob Edwards
> :
> :

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Copying forms and reports between databases.
If you understand how to do automation from VB or VC, you can do
juat what you have asked for here by taking dev's advice and
combining it with the work to starting Access with a particualr
username/password.

But please understand that someone can use this method to hack
your database by interupting the code once it has started and
taking advantage of this call.

--
MichKa

don't ask by e-mail unless you're paying for it. (TANSTAAFL!) :-)

random junk of dubious value, a multilingual website, the
worldwide TSI Form/Report to Data Access Page Wizard,
and lots of replication "stuff" at http://www.trigeminal.com/

Quote:
> The problem i run into there is that the database is on the
server and most
> people know very little about access.  We have even kept the
administrator
> id and password secret from them.  I figure if i hardcode the
admin password
> and id in my C++ program, then all they need to know is Run the
app when you
> have a patch to install.  I'll look at your method too though,
it still
> might be a possibility.

> BTW, i love your web site.  Half the "tricks" we added to our
program i
> either took from the information there or used as a base for my
code.  It's
> at the top of my Access Programming bookmarks.

> Thanks,

> Rob Edwards
> President/CEO
> Technically Possible, Inc.

> > If Access is installed on the machine, why not Automate it to
use
> > Docmd.TransferDatabase or Docmd.CopyObject ??

> >  -- Dev

> > : I know how to import a form from another database within
access 97, the
> > : thing i want to do is us a Visual C++ or VB app to copy
forms from one
> > : access db to another.   A patch program if you will.  The
Access DB uses
> > an
> > : mdw file and Admin has no privs, so i need to use a user id
and password
> > and
> > : the MDW.
> > :
> > : Does anyone know if DDE, OLE  or ADO can copy forms and
reports between
> > two
> > : DBs?
> > :
> > : Thanks,
> > :
> > : Rob Edwards
> > :
> > :

Sun, 19 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Copying forms and reports between databases.
Trying to use COM from C instead of C++ makes no sense
whatsoever.... its a bit like getting to work on your hands and
knees instead of in a car. In any case, once you are familiar
with the basic concepts of using automation from C++, doing it
with Access or any other server should be trivial.... but the
learning curve for starting up here usually makes it a MUCH
better idea to do the job in VB, instead.

All that "overhead" as you put it is part of what makes it so you
do not have to do all those things the hard way! Why not walk
first before running and flying? :-)

--
MichKa

don't ask by e-mail unless you're paying for it. (TANSTAAFL!) :-)

random junk of dubious value, a multilingual website, the
worldwide TSI Form/Report to Data Access Page Wizard,
and lots of replication "stuff" at http://www.trigeminal.com/

Quote:
> I guess this brings up the next question.  Where can i find a
good resource
> for doing Access Automation with Visual C++?  (Rather Visual C
as it can
> make a semi standalone app w/o all of VB's DLL overheads.

> Thanks again,

> Rob Edwards

message

> > If you understand how to do automation from VB or VC, you can
do
> > juat what you have asked for here by taking dev's advice and
> > combining it with the work to starting Access with a
particualr
> > username/password.

> > But please understand that someone can use this method to
hack
> > your database by interupting the code once it has started and
> > taking advantage of this call.

> > --
> > MichKa

> > don't ask by e-mail unless you're paying for it. (TANSTAAFL!)
:-)

> > random junk of dubious value, a multilingual website, the
> > worldwide TSI Form/Report to Data Access Page Wizard,
> > and lots of replication "stuff" at http://www.trigeminal.com/

> > > The problem i run into there is that the database is on the
> > server and most
> > > people know very little about access.  We have even kept
the
> > administrator
> > > id and password secret from them.  I figure if i hardcode
the
> > admin password
> > > and id in my C++ program, then all they need to know is Run
the
> > app when you
> > > have a patch to install.  I'll look at your method too
though,
> > it still
> > > might be a possibility.

> > > BTW, i love your web site.  Half the "tricks" we added to
our
> > program i
> > > either took from the information there or used as a base
for my
> > code.  It's
> > > at the top of my Access Programming bookmarks.

> > > Thanks,

> > > Rob Edwards
> > > President/CEO
> > > Technically Possible, Inc.

> > use

within
> > access 97, the
> > forms from one
The
> > Access DB uses
> > and password
> > reports between

Mon, 20 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
> [...]

> > President/CEO
> > Technically Possible, Inc.

> > > If Access is installed on the machine, why not Automate it to
> use
> > > Docmd.TransferDatabase or Docmd.CopyObject ??

> > >  -- Dev

> > > : I know how to import a form from another database within
> access 97, the
> > > : thing i want to do is us a Visual C++ or VB app to copy
> forms from one
> > > : access db to another.   A patch program if you will.  The
> Access DB uses
> > > an
> > > : mdw file and Admin has no privs, so i need to use a user id
> and password
> > > and
> > > : the MDW.
> > > :
> > > : Does anyone know if DDE, OLE  or ADO can copy forms and

Tue, 21 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Changing a report that uses 1 database into a report using 2 databases

2. Copy line of one Database to another Database

3. how to copy a record from one database to another database with the same struture

4. how copy records from databases to databases ?

5. Copying the contents of a table in one database to another database

6. MS Access DB - Copy Table A from Database A to Table A Database B

7. Help: copying database data into new database

8. Copying records from jet database to a new jet database

9. Copying the contents of a table in one database to another database

10. Copying Controls from Form to Forms

11. copy form data from existing to new form

12. Copy a contro from one form to another Form