Opening Shared database
Author Message
 Opening Shared database

I am opening a shared Access 97 database using the Jet
Engine (using VB).  It works fine on my computer.  But, on
my client's computer the database gets opened in Exclusive
mode only (i.e. no other user can open the database and it
gives the message "database is opened exclusively").

The syntax I am using is, opendatabase(dbname, false,
false, ";PWD=xxx")

Does anyone have any ideas why my customer's database is
getting opened in exclusive mode even though I tell it to
be in shared mode?

Maad

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 00:42:28 GMT
 Opening Shared database
Maad,

Access defaults to being an "exclusive" (one client)
database, unless otherwise set.  On the Access DB in
question, go to Tools/Options, then select the Advanced
tab.  In here it must be set for "Shared" access as the
default open mode (as the normal default is "Exclusive").

Hope this helps,

Colin

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 01:30:01 GMT
 Opening Shared database
I have had issues like that in the past.  I found it works
best that each person have their own front end of the
database.

Jeff Adams

Quote:

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 01:37:44 GMT

1. Is current database opened exclusive/shared?

2. open database in shared mode?

3. I can open a database, but how do you open a database in shared mode?

4. Open another database and keep existing one open

5. Acc97: Specifying /CMD parameter when opening database via open dialog

6. Unable to open datafile when database is open

7. database connection remain open if opened via recordset

8. exclusive / shared opened db

9. Db opening Exclusive even though I say Shared

10. open shared calendar programatically

11. Opening Shared Resources without popping up Dialogs

12. Reading/deleting in a shared textfile (error 55: File already open)