Permanently change a text label's caption?
Author Message
 Permanently change a text label's caption?

Hello,

Please could someone help?
How do you permanently change a text label caption on a form using VB.
I'm using:-

Me![TextLabel].Caption="New Name"

It changes it fine, but when you close the form and re-open it reverts back
to the original!?

Thanks very much.
Andy Jackson.

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 16:13:31 GMT
 Permanently change a text label's caption?
You have to open the Form in DesignMode and save it after to make the change
sticks.  You can do this through the Access interface or by code.

--
HTH
Van T. Dinh

Quote:
> Hello,

> Please could someone help?
> How do you permanently change a text label caption on a form using VB.
> I'm using:-

> Me![TextLabel].Caption="New Name"

> It changes it fine, but when you close the form and re-open it reverts
back
> to the original!?

> Thanks very much.
> Andy Jackson.

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 20:06:34 GMT
 Permanently change a text label's caption?
Thanks for your reply,

Is there a way to do this live, whilst the user is using the form?

Quote:
> You have to open the Form in DesignMode and save it after to make the
change
> sticks.  You can do this through the Access interface or by code.

> --
> HTH
> Van T. Dinh
> MVP (Access)

> > Hello,

> > Please could someone help?
> > How do you permanently change a text label caption on a form using VB.
> > I'm using:-

> > Me![TextLabel].Caption="New Name"

> > It changes it fine, but when you close the form and re-open it reverts
> back
> > to the original!?

> > Thanks very much.
> > Andy Jackson.

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:43:43 GMT
 Permanently change a text label's caption?
Not with A2K or AXP since (I think) Access won't allow it.  I think it is
possible in A97.  If you use dot-mde file or Access run-times then you
definitely can't.

You can always try it!

I wonder why you need it to stick and need to do it by code rather than just
changing the design of the Form and saving it through the normal Access
interface???

--
HTH
Van T. Dinh

Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:28:21 GMT
 Permanently change a text label's caption?
Van,

I'm an engineer by trade, so my approach to Access is a bit of a "bodge it"
one, as long as it works and has a good paint job and no one knows what goes
on underneath, it's ok! I'll explain what I'm (trying) to do.

I'm using Access 2000.

I've written a DB which tells me, by sending an Email when Various computers
need backing up. When it sends the Email it updates a label on the form with
the send date.  A "timed event" then periodically checks this date and when
three days have passed it sends a reminder.

I imagine I've done it a clumsy way, as the DB is open almost all the time,
it tends to work.
I have been thinking of creating a table for this date and using an update
query?

Any pointer from a proper programmer, would be greatly appreciated - Thanks.

Quote:
> Not with A2K or AXP since (I think) Access won't allow it.  I think it is
> possible in A97.  If you use dot-mde file or Access run-times then you
> definitely can't.

> You can always try it!

> I wonder why you need it to stick and need to do it by code rather than
just
> changing the design of the Form and saving it through the normal Access
> interface???

> --
> HTH
> Van T. Dinh
> MVP (Access)

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:37:53 GMT
 Permanently change a text label's caption?
OK.  If it works, no problems.

I generally don't store data in the Form Design  (Forms are meant to display
data).  In fact, your suggestion is the method I would use.  I would store
the date/time the last reminder was sent (or date/time the next reminder
needs to be sent) in a one-Record Table.  Use the Timer Event of a Form
which is always open (or an invisible, always open dummy Form) to check this
date/time and send out the next reminder as appropriate.

--
HTH
Van T. Dinh

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:21:53 GMT

1. Label Caption Doesn't Change When Changed

2. Change label caption in userform on change of dropdown listbox

3. vb4: put tab chr(9) in label.caption or text box.text

4. Label.Caption/Text.Text question

5. Auto label/Caption change

6. Changing the caption property on a label at run time

7. Label Caption Change

8. Changing label captions: how to refresh

9. Change caption of a label in DataReport at runtime

10. Changing Label Captions on a Data Report.

11. Changing a Label caption

12. Changing label captions while running code