Progress Bar
Author Message
 Progress Bar

hi,

MS help files indicate how you can use the progress bar when there's
some operation the duration of which is easily measured, such as looping
through an array...does anyone know if one can do this for other more
'fuzzy' operations like running queries or automation activities?

is the only bet to estimate how long these things take and then base the
progress bar on these estimates?

thanks.

Thu, 27 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Progress Bar

You cannot base it off any action that does not give you hooks to know
status. For example, a query cannot be done this way since DAO does not
provide "status notification" events.  Jet does (thats how Access has a
status bar) but no one outside of Access and Replication Manager talk to Jet
directly.

Michael

Quote:

>hi,

>MS help files indicate how you can use the progress bar when there's
>some operation the duration of which is easily measured, such as looping
>through an array...does anyone know if one can do this for other more
>'fuzzy' operations like running queries or automation activities?

>is the only bet to estimate how long these things take and then base the
>progress bar on these estimates?

>thanks.

Thu, 27 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Progress Bar

Quote:

>but no one outside of Access and Replication Manager talk to Jet
>directly.

>Michael

I talk to Jet frequently, but I can't repeat what I say in polite company :)
-----
Arvin Meyer

Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Progress Bar

LOL.... but Jet can't hear you unless you know its interfaces. :-)

Michael

Quote:

>>but no one outside of Access and Replication Manager talk to Jet
>>directly.

>>Michael

>I talk to Jet frequently, but I can't repeat what I say in polite company
:)
>-----
>Arvin Meyer

Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Progress Bar

I had the same problem and I finally solved it by doing the following. I
created a function which updates the status bar. In this function I access a
global variable. After setting the Status Bar's value to the static variable
I add 1 to it. I then call this function as an expression in the query.

Quote:

>hi,

>MS help files indicate how you can use the progress bar when there's
>some operation the duration of which is easily measured, such as looping
>through an array...does anyone know if one can do this for other more
>'fuzzy' operations like running queries or automation activities?

>is the only bet to estimate how long these things take and then base the
>progress bar on these estimates?

>thanks.

Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Progress Bar

I think that the question is how to do this with things like queries.... the
answer is that you cannot.

Michael

Quote:
>I had the same problem and I finally solved it by doing the following. I
>created a function which updates the status bar. In this function I access
>global variable. After setting the Status Bar's value to the static
variable
>I add 1 to it. I then call this function as an expression in the query.

>>hi,

>>MS help files indicate how you can use the progress bar when there's
>>some operation the duration of which is easily measured, such as looping
>>through an array...does anyone know if one can do this for other more
>>'fuzzy' operations like running queries or automation activities?

>>is the only bet to estimate how long these things take and then base the
>>progress bar on these estimates?

>>thanks.

Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Progress Bar

To Check out the an mdb file for an example where I am doing it email me and
I will send it to you (1.3MB). This method is being used in an application
with 500+ users.

Bill Main

Quote:

>I think that the question is how to do this with things like queries....
the
>answer is that you cannot.

>Michael

>>I had the same problem and I finally solved it by doing the following. I
>>created a function which updates the status bar. In this function I access
>>global variable. After setting the Status Bar's value to the static
>variable
>>I add 1 to it. I then call this function as an expression in the query.

>>>hi,

>>>MS help files indicate how you can use the progress bar when there's
>>>some operation the duration of which is easily measured, such as looping
>>>through an array...does anyone know if one can do this for other more
>>>'fuzzy' operations like running queries or automation activities?

>>>is the only bet to estimate how long these things take and then base the
>>>progress bar on these estimates?

>>>thanks.

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Progress Bar

Its worth mentioning the performance hit associated with having a UDF called
on every query row that is processed..... in my experience users would
rather have it done sooner and settle for the access built-in progress bar
then have a fancy one that degrades query performance by 200 -2000 %.

Michael

Quote:
>To Check out the an mdb file for an example where I am doing it email me
and
>I will send it to you (1.3MB). This method is being used in an application
>with 500+ users.

>Bill Main

>>I think that the question is how to do this with things like queries....
>the
>>answer is that you cannot.

>>Michael

>>>I had the same problem and I finally solved it by doing the following. I
>>>created a function which updates the status bar. In this function I
access
>>>global variable. After setting the Status Bar's value to the static
>>variable
>>>I add 1 to it. I then call this function as an expression in the query.

Tue, 15 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. File Loading Progress Form with Progress Bar

2. How do I display a progress bar showing progress for database replication

3. How do I display a progress bar showing progress for database replication

4. Progress bar measuring FileCopy progress

5. Status Bar/Progress Bar

6. Progress bar in status bar for .NET

7. Progress Bar in Status Bar

8. Progress bar on a status bar

9. Progress bar in a status bar

10. Progress bar in a Status bar panel?

11. Progress bar in a status bar

12. Resizing a Progress Bar in the Status Bar