resetting local profile preferences
Author Message
 resetting local profile preferences

I'd like to have a macro that could be built into a local profile that
resets settings that reside on the local profile side - things that appear
in Tools -> Options.  I have a training situation where users will learn to
do things like change calendar colors, spelling options, etc... and I'd like
a quick client side macro/script that would reset these options all to
defaults (or my chosen defaults) for the next class.  We already have a
server side script which resets the mailboxes... but not the local user
prefs.

I might even be able to get started if I knew how to reference the objects
that toggled those things (something like tools.options.spellcheck("off") -
or something - I'm making that up).  I just don't see anything in the Object
Browser that's an obvious place to start.

I'm not a VB developer - my experience is limited to recording macros using
a macro recorder (which Outlook doesn't have, right?), and then editing or
tweaking in VB Editor.

Thanks for any help, and any links to more specific information.

Chris Ridgeway

Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:12:19 GMT
 resetting local profile preferences
Outlook does not expose settings in the Tools | Options dialog. Some of the
settings are stored in the registry, some others are stored in the message
store. There is really no single storage for them.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Quote:
> I'd like to have a macro that could be built into a local profile that
> resets settings that reside on the local profile side - things that appear
> in Tools -> Options.  I have a training situation where users will learn to
> do things like change calendar colors, spelling options, etc... and I'd like
> a quick client side macro/script that would reset these options all to
> defaults (or my chosen defaults) for the next class.  We already have a
> server side script which resets the mailboxes... but not the local user
> prefs.

> I might even be able to get started if I knew how to reference the objects
> that toggled those things (something like tools.options.spellcheck("off") -
> or something - I'm making that up).  I just don't see anything in the Object
> Browser that's an obvious place to start.

> I'm not a VB developer - my experience is limited to recording macros using
> a macro recorder (which Outlook doesn't have, right?), and then editing or
> tweaking in VB Editor.

> Thanks for any help, and any links to more specific information.

> Chris Ridgeway

Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:09:32 GMT
 resetting local profile preferences
I believe you can reset some of that stuff by altering the registry.  So you
could create a script or reg file to do it.

Exit and logoff of Outlook
Start regedt32   or  regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
  SOFTWARE
     Microsoft
         Office
             8.0   or  9.0 (depending of the version of Outlook)
                Delete the Outlook Key

Restart Outlook and the key will be recreated with the default client side
options.

Obviously since you playing with the registry take the necessary
precautions.

Dan

Quote:
> I'd like to have a macro that could be built into a local profile that
> resets settings that reside on the local profile side - things that appear
> in Tools -> Options.  I have a training situation where users will learn
> do things like change calendar colors, spelling options, etc... and I'd
like
> a quick client side macro/script that would reset these options all to
> defaults (or my chosen defaults) for the next class.  We already have a
> server side script which resets the mailboxes... but not the local user
> prefs.

> I might even be able to get started if I knew how to reference the objects
> that toggled those things (something like

tools.options.spellcheck("off") -
Quote:
> or something - I'm making that up).  I just don't see anything in the
Object
> Browser that's an obvious place to start.

> I'm not a VB developer - my experience is limited to recording macros
using
> a macro recorder (which Outlook doesn't have, right?), and then editing or
> tweaking in VB Editor.

> Thanks for any help, and any links to more specific information.

> Chris Ridgeway

Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:24:57 GMT

1. VBScript and local user profiles

2. Changing Roaming to Local profiles

3. VBScript and local user profiles

4. Reset without resetting

5. Executing local ->remote->local ActiveX service

6. Executing local ->remote->local ActiveX service

7. Executing local ->remote->local ActiveX service

8. destroy local objects - (Clean Local Memory)

9. Executing local ->remote->local ActiveX service

10. Executing local ->remote->local ActiveX service

11. how to get local TCP/IP settings from Local Area Connections

12. Application preferences and settings