Max. Size when reading a text data file
Author Message
 Max. Size when reading a text data file

Does anyone know if there is a maximum file size when reading text from a
data file.  I am trying to read text from a data file (line by line) i.e.
using an Open statement.  The data file size is 40 Mb and larger.  The
process seems to work fine if the data file size is small (ex. ini file),
otherwise it seems to freeze and nothing happens.

If this isn't the way to bring in that data, does anyone know of another way
to do this? other commands? other apps?

Thanks for your comments...

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Max. Size when reading a text data file
Hi,

There is no limit that I know of. It might just be a case of no feedback of
progress that makes the import look stalled?
It also depends a little on how you test for the end of file. Functions such
as LOF and LOC return a maximum value of a Long Integer.

I know our text import system has imported files over 100MB in the past.
Take a look at our web site under full products for more info.

--
Calum Reay
Paradox Contracting Ltd

Quote:
> Does anyone know if there is a maximum file size when reading text from a
> data file.  I am trying to read text from a data file (line by line) i.e.
> using an Open statement.  The data file size is 40 Mb and larger.  The
> process seems to work fine if the data file size is small (ex. ini file),
> otherwise it seems to freeze and nothing happens.

> If this isn't the way to bring in that data, does anyone know of another
way
> to do this? other commands? other apps?

> Thanks for your comments...

Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Max. Size when reading a text data file

Quote:
>Does anyone know if there is a maximum file size when reading text from a
>data file.  I am trying to read text from a data file (line by line) i.e.
>using an Open statement.  The data file size is 40 Mb and larger.  The
>process seems to work fine if the data file size is small (ex. ini file),
>otherwise it seems to freeze and nothing happens.

Having opened the file for input how are you reading in the data?

I've used "Get" to do this sort of thing, but not with multi-megabyte
files so I can't guarantee it. It works above 64K, which is usually a
limit for things like string length.
--
Albert Marshall

Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. File Association/reading text file data

2. max size of rich text box

3. Win2000 Winsock DataArrival Default max data size

4. Max size for .adp files??

5. Max file size using Open

6. What's the max size of BMP file VB 4.0 can handle

7. Help:Howto run a progress bar using the size of a file as progressbar.max

8. Reading Data From Text File

9. QBasic: Reading specific data from a text file?

10. NEED TO READ DATA FROM A TEXT FILE AND PUT IT INTO AN ACCESS TABLE

11. Suggestions in reading text file data.

12. Reading from a text file and writing toa text file from Vis Bas 6.0