Multithreading in Com Add in blocks Outlook Event Handlers
Author Message
 Multithreading in Com Add in blocks Outlook Event Handlers

Hi

Programs VB.net & Outlook 2000

I am working on an Outlook Com Add In using multihreading to do some time
intensive stuff. My problem is the following.
I need to add some buttons with Eventhandles to the Outlook Toolbar. By
pressing them some Functions in my programm should be called.
That is working fine, till I am using a second thread. The thread is
accessing Outlook with another Com Object called Outlook Redemtion. When
this Com Object reads data from Outlook my Eventhandles do not work
anylonger. If I set the Eventhandlers after I read the data the are still
not working. I add the Eventhandlers in the OnConnection Method. For now the
only way to make my program work is not to exit the OnConnection Function
till the thread is done with loading and terminated.

Thanks for helping

Markus

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:55:20 GMT
 Multithreading in Com Add in blocks Outlook Event Handlers
Sample code would be helpful in solving your problem. In general, all COM
Add-ins are in process to Outlook. You will only be able to piggyback on the
Outlook.exe process, and you cannot start a separate thread.

--
Randy Byrne, MVP - Outlook
http://www.microeye.com

Quote:
> Hi

> Programs VB.net & Outlook 2000

> I am working on an Outlook Com Add In using multihreading to do some time
> intensive stuff. My problem is the following.
> I need to add some buttons with Eventhandles to the Outlook Toolbar. By
> pressing them some Functions in my programm should be called.
> That is working fine, till I am using a second thread. The thread is
> accessing Outlook with another Com Object called Outlook Redemtion. When
> this Com Object reads data from Outlook my Eventhandles do not work
> anylonger. If I set the Eventhandlers after I read the data the are still
> not working. I add the Eventhandlers in the OnConnection Method. For now
the
> only way to make my program work is not to exit the OnConnection Function
> till the thread is done with loading and terminated.

> Thanks for helping

> Markus

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 21:52:12 GMT

1. Outlook 2000: How to add an event handler to double click on a mail

2. VBScript globals in event handler block?

3. object created in workbook_open event handler disappears on exit from the event handler

4. *CoSrv* , VB6 multithreading enabler COM add-in ???

5. *CoSrv* , VB6 multithreading enabler COM add-in ???

6. *CoSrv* , VB6 multithreading enabler COM add-in ???

7. *CoSrv* , VB6 multithreading enabler COM add-in ???

8. Outlook COM Add In problem: Outlook wouldn't exit from Process in Task Manager

9. How to add an event handler to double click on a mail

10. Event handlers for controls added at run time

11. create an add/modify/delete appointment event handler

12. Best practises for dynamically adding and removing event handlers