Two similar templates--one works one doesn't
Author Message
 Two similar templates--one works one doesn't

Several pc's on network all running windows 2000.  Some pc's running word
2000 and some running word 97.
Problem:  For template A-if one pc has a new document open based on the
template, other users cannot access the template to start a new document.
They get the "*.doc cannot be found, please try using the file open dialog."
Template B has no such problems and multiple users can open new documents
based on it simultaneously.

Both templates were created by me and both have VBA code that uses DAO to
access a database on the server, returning similar fields based on the
contents of a text formfield in the template.  Both templates have the exact
same references to normal.dot and required libraries. The vba code works
fine once a pc is able to create a document based on the template. All pc's
have the same normal.dot. These templates are all located in a template
directory on the server which is pointed to as workgroup templates in each
pc's option for file locations. There are shortcuts on each pc's desktop for
each template which is how people prefer to access them.  The only
difference I can see is that the problem template is six pages long and has
about 10 times as many form fields in it.

I have temporarily loaded the offending template onto each pc's C: drive and
it works fine from there but I dread the thought of having to go around to a
dozen pc's each time there's a need to make any changes to the template.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:49:02 GMT
 Two similar templates--one works one doesn't

this yarn:

Quote:
>I have temporarily loaded the offending template onto each pc's C: drive and
>it works fine from there but I dread the thought of having to go around to a
>dozen pc's each time there's a need to make any changes to the template.

>Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

>Thanks,
>John

>Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

G'day John,

locally is the best way. I cover this in my Word VBA Spellbook. You
can update with ease by emailing everyone with the URL of the install
package.

I would say that there is an autoupdating style or some sort of
interactive document content associated with the template that is
forcing it to update itself upon opening.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
I can do tricky stuff with Word or words for you.

Products: http://www.geocities.com/word_heretic/products.html
Spellbooks: 1558 pages of dump left and dropping...

The VBA Beginner's Spellbook is now available!
The first graphical representation of the Word object model
and an extensive checklist for functional template development.
Perfect for everyone at every level of VBA usage.

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:18:26 GMT

1. Two Virtually Identical Modules, One Works, One doesn't

2. One of two functions doesn't function on Windows 95 (i does on Windows NT)

3. One out of every two .Requery don't work on my small LAN

4. One out of every two .Requery don't work on my small LAN

5. Library MDBs: One works; other doesn't

6. Activex control doesn't work when there is more then one on a form

7. Why does this work and this one doesn't

8. TWO PROJECTS, TWO EXE'S, ONE INSTALL???

9. Two templates in one file

10. concatinate two word templates to one doc

11. One File - Two templates

12. Colling a function from one template to an other one