Difference between CDO and Outlook 98 Type Libraries?
Author Message
 Difference between CDO and Outlook 98 Type Libraries?

I have developed my first Excel 97 macro automating the generation of
emails to Outlook 98 (Corporate) by using the 'Outlook 98 type
library'.

When investigating how to create Distribution lists I was guided to
the MS article q178787
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;EN-US;q178787).

This uses the CDO 1.21 library.

Can anyone tell me the differences in functionality and use between
these libraries?

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:52:21 GMT
 Difference between CDO and Outlook 98 Type Libraries?
There's a huge world of difference -- different objects, methods, properties, etc. CDO is generally faster, but more difficult to use. In your specific case, since the Outlook object model does not provide any way to access the Personal Address Book, where you can create DLs, CDO is the only option.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions

Quote:

> I have developed my first Excel 97 macro automating the generation of
> emails to Outlook 98 (Corporate) by using the 'Outlook 98 type
> library'.

> When investigating how to create Distribution lists I was guided to
> the MS article q178787
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q178787).

> This uses the CDO 1.21 library.

> Can anyone tell me the differences in functionality and use between
> these libraries?

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:12:01 GMT
 Difference between CDO and Outlook 98 Type Libraries?

Thankyou Sue

I now need to spend some time understanding what each can do, but in
general should one be used in preference over the other?

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:54:08 GMT
 Difference between CDO and Outlook 98 Type Libraries?
It depends totally on the appliction.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions
   at http://www.slipstick.com

Quote:

> In general, should one be used in preference over the other?

Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:31:18 GMT

1. OutLook 98 Type Library Error

2. Outlook 98 Type Library

3. Sending Mail from ASP using CDO.dll (outlook 98)

4. CDO vs Outlook 2000 Object Library?? (Outlook Newbie)

5. Type-library for FrontPage 98?

6. Where to get Microsoft Outlook 98 Object Library ?

7. could not reference to CDO for Windows 2000 Type Library

8. CDO vs Outlook libraries

9. Type Mismatch: CDO v Outlook

10. References dropping out between Outlook 2000 and Outlook 98

11. Outlook 98 - Outlook Bar

12. Outlook 98 vs Outlook 2000