How to create a Com AddIn for Outlook 2000 with VB6 standard
Author Message
 How to create a Com AddIn for Outlook 2000 with VB6 standard

Hello,
I am trying to convert my VBA Outlook Makros to an Com AddIn with Visual
Basic 6 standard.
I found some examples here in the newgroup and under
http://www.*-*-*.com/ and http://www.*-*-*.com/
But none of them has any effect on Outlook. Only if Outlook cannot find the
compiled DLL it complayins about it.
First, I had only a Designerfile: connect.dsr.
But when I select File build ... dll, VB says a form or a Main() is
necessary, so I added a Main-Routine.
May be the problem is, that under Project properties, I cannot select any
project type - it is fixed to standard-exe.

If have got the file connect.dsr with the following code:

Option Explicit
Implements IDTExtensibility2
' OnConnection - this is called by Outlook when the addin is first
connected(loaded).
'
Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnConnection(ByVal Application As Object,
ByVal _
ConnectMode As AddInDesignerObjects.ext_ConnectMode, ByVal AddInInst As
Object, _
custom() As Variant)
    MsgBox "OnConnection"
End Sub

Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnAddInsUpdate(custom() As Variant)
    'Nothing here
End Sub

Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnBeginShutdown(custom() As Variant)
    On Error Resume Next
    MsgBox "OnBeginShutdown"
End Sub

Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnDisconnection(ByVal RemoveMode As _
AddInDesignerObjects.ext_DisconnectMode, custom() As Variant)
    MsgBox "OnDisconnection"
End Sub

Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnStartupComplete(custom() As Variant)
    MsgBox "OnStartupComplete"
End Sub

Shouldn't then appear a message box, when I start Outlook. (The loadbehavior
is set 2 in the registry.)

thanks,
Christoph

Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:26:44 GMT
 How to create a Com AddIn for Outlook 2000 with VB6 standard
I have not the Visual Basic 6 standard as I wrote.
It is the VB6 Einsteiger Edition (in german), in english it might be the
beginner edition.
Christoph

Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:40:54 GMT
 How to create a Com AddIn for Outlook 2000 with VB6 standard
If VB6 standard is locked into creating standard exe files only, then you
will not be able to develop a COM addin.  You will need to acquire a copy of
VB6 Professional or better.

http://www.slipstick.com and http://msdn.microsoft.com/library.
[...]

Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:16:20 GMT
 How to create a Com AddIn for Outlook 2000 with VB6 standard
Isn't there another way. All I have heard and read here is, that you need
Visual Basic 6 to create a Com Addin.
So I bought Visual Basic 6 and now it is not working! .... M$.
Can anyone tell me if there is another way. The VB prof is MUCH TOO
EXPENSIVE.

Christoph

Quote:
> If VB6 standard is locked into creating standard exe files only, then you
> will not be able to develop a COM addin.  You will need to acquire a copy
of
> VB6 Professional or better.

> Hello,
> I am trying to convert my VBA Outlook Makros to an Com AddIn with Visual
> Basic 6 standard.
> I found some examples here in the newgroup and under
> http://www.slipstick.com and http://msdn.microsoft.com/library.
> But none of them has any effect on Outlook. Only if Outlook cannot find
the
> compiled DLL it complayins about it.
> First, I had only a Designerfile: connect.dsr.
> But when I select File build ... dll, VB says a form or a Main() is
> necessary, so I added a Main-Routine.
> May be the problem is, that under Project properties, I cannot select any
> project type - it is fixed to standard-exe.

> If have got the file connect.dsr with the following code:

> Option Explicit
> Implements IDTExtensibility2
> ' OnConnection - this is called by Outlook when the addin is first
> connected(loaded).
> '
> Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnConnection(ByVal Application As Object,
> ByVal _
> ConnectMode As AddInDesignerObjects.ext_ConnectMode, ByVal AddInInst As
> Object, _
> custom() As Variant)
>     MsgBox "OnConnection"
> End Sub

> Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnAddInsUpdate(custom() As Variant)
>     'Nothing here
> End Sub

> Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnBeginShutdown(custom() As Variant)
>     On Error Resume Next
>     MsgBox "OnBeginShutdown"
> End Sub

> Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnDisconnection(ByVal RemoveMode As _
> AddInDesignerObjects.ext_DisconnectMode, custom() As Variant)
>     MsgBox "OnDisconnection"
> End Sub

> Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnStartupComplete(custom() As Variant)
>     MsgBox "OnStartupComplete"
> End Sub

> Shouldn't then appear a message box, when I start Outlook. (The
loadbehavior
> is set 2 in the registry.)

> thanks,
> Christoph

Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:24:36 GMT
 How to create a Com AddIn for Outlook 2000 with VB6 standard
Not to sound like a jerk, but if you purchased the learning edition of VB6
then it should have been understood that one can't create solutions that are
meant for distribution.  Creating a COM AddIn would fall under that
category.

While this is a total long shot, you could try the Visual Basic Control
Edition.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/downloads/cce/default.asp

This free tool has many of the features offered in VB5 and may let you
create a COM addin in since it can compile fully functional active x
controls.  The only problems that I see are the following: You can't take
advantage of the AddIn designer, you would have to use the IDTExtensibility2
interface directly by using the Implements keyword (just like you have in
your sample below).  Since you wouldn't be using the addin designer object,
you would have to write your own routine to register the component.  MS KB
article Q238228 should be of help in this area.

Isn't there another way. All I have heard and read here is, that you need
Visual Basic 6 to create a Com Addin.
So I bought Visual Basic 6 and now it is not working! .... M$.
Can anyone tell me if there is another way. The VB prof is MUCH TOO
EXPENSIVE.

Christoph

Quote:
> If VB6 standard is locked into creating standard exe files only, then you
> will not be able to develop a COM addin.  You will need to acquire a copy
of
> VB6 Professional or better.

> Hello,
> I am trying to convert my VBA Outlook Makros to an Com AddIn with Visual
> Basic 6 standard.
> I found some examples here in the newgroup and under
> http://www.slipstick.com and http://msdn.microsoft.com/library.
> But none of them has any effect on Outlook. Only if Outlook cannot find
the
> compiled DLL it complayins about it.
> First, I had only a Designerfile: connect.dsr.
> But when I select File build ... dll, VB says a form or a Main() is
> necessary, so I added a Main-Routine.
> May be the problem is, that under Project properties, I cannot select any
> project type - it is fixed to standard-exe.

> If have got the file connect.dsr with the following code:

> Option Explicit
> Implements IDTExtensibility2
> ' OnConnection - this is called by Outlook when the addin is first
> connected(loaded).
> '
> Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnConnection(ByVal Application As Object,
> ByVal _
> ConnectMode As AddInDesignerObjects.ext_ConnectMode, ByVal AddInInst As
> Object, _
> custom() As Variant)
>     MsgBox "OnConnection"
> End Sub

> Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnAddInsUpdate(custom() As Variant)
>     'Nothing here
> End Sub

> Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnBeginShutdown(custom() As Variant)
>     On Error Resume Next
>     MsgBox "OnBeginShutdown"
> End Sub

> Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnDisconnection(ByVal RemoveMode As _
> AddInDesignerObjects.ext_DisconnectMode, custom() As Variant)
>     MsgBox "OnDisconnection"
> End Sub

> Private Sub IDTExtensibility2_OnStartupComplete(custom() As Variant)
>     MsgBox "OnStartupComplete"
> End Sub

> Shouldn't then appear a message box, when I start Outlook. (The
loadbehavior
> is set 2 in the registry.)

> thanks,
> Christoph

Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:58:01 GMT

1. COM C++ Addin for Outlook 2000 failing

2. Deploying an Outlook 2000 COM-AddIn

3. COM Addin to track email, Outlook, VB6

4. Outlook 2000/XP VB Addin security

5. Outlook 2000 Addin - How to add the header and footer for a print copy

6. Visual Basic AddIn Sourcecode for MS Outlook 2000 email de/en-cryption

7. Find Tasks created from MS Project 2000 in Outlook 2000

8. Outlook COM AddIn Security

9. How can I insert a Controlbutton into an Outlook form using a COM-Addin

10. custom toolbar through com addin in outlook

11. COM addin under Outlook 98

12. SaveAs Dialog for Outlook Com AddIn