Front End updating of Modules while it is running
Author Message
 Front End updating of Modules while it is running

Hello,

OK, this may be really stupid, but I need to ask it anyway.

I have a Front End on each computer with the Back End on the network. The BE
contains the tables and the FE the forms. So far, so good?

Since I am constantly making changes to the forms, queries, etc. in the FE
(don't ask, a long story), I decided that after I work on the FE, I place it
on the network. Then when a FE is opened, it looks at the FE on the database
and updates any forms, reports, queries, etc. This is working just fine.
However, I can't figure out how to update the code that does the updating.

I can't delete it as it's running. I thought of setting a reference to the
FE on the network, but then I have all the other code and modules in there.
Plus, I think the code would be so slow to run over the network.

Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks so much.

-Rob

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 05:37:13 GMT
 Front End updating of Modules while it is running
Easiest thing is probably simply to replace the front-end on each
workstation, rather than trying to patch it.

Take a look at the free Auto FE Updater that Tony Toews has at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/autofe.htm

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

Quote:
> Hello,

> OK, this may be really stupid, but I need to ask it anyway.

> I have a Front End on each computer with the Back End on the network. The
BE
> contains the tables and the FE the forms. So far, so good?

> Since I am constantly making changes to the forms, queries, etc. in the FE
> (don't ask, a long story), I decided that after I work on the FE, I place
it
> on the network. Then when a FE is opened, it looks at the FE on the
database
> and updates any forms, reports, queries, etc. This is working just fine.
> However, I can't figure out how to update the code that does the updating.

> I can't delete it as it's running. I thought of setting a reference to the
> FE on the network, but then I have all the other code and modules in
there.
> Plus, I think the code would be so slow to run over the network.

> Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate them.

> Thanks so much.

> -Rob

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 05:43:10 GMT
 Front End updating of Modules while it is running
Hi,

Looks like a possible job for the Access replication feature.

--
Calvin Smith
http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com

VB/VBA Tools - http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com/AllComboDeals.htm

Website needs -
http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com/CalvinSmithDoesWebsites.htm

Quote:
> Hello,

> OK, this may be really stupid, but I need to ask it anyway.

> I have a Front End on each computer with the Back End on the network. The
BE
> contains the tables and the FE the forms. So far, so good?

> Since I am constantly making changes to the forms, queries, etc. in the FE
> (don't ask, a long story), I decided that after I work on the FE, I place
it
> on the network. Then when a FE is opened, it looks at the FE on the
database
> and updates any forms, reports, queries, etc. This is working just fine.
> However, I can't figure out how to update the code that does the updating.

> I can't delete it as it's running. I thought of setting a reference to the
> FE on the network, but then I have all the other code and modules in
there.
> Plus, I think the code would be so slow to run over the network.

> Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate them.

> Thanks so much.

> -Rob

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:32:29 GMT
 Front End updating of Modules while it is running

Quote:

>Looks like a possible job for the Access replication feature.

There are many reported cases of corrupted databases that
tried to use replication to update db objects.  Replication
is intended to synchronize records in tables, not modules,
forms, etc.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:08:15 GMT
 Front End updating of Modules while it is running
On Wed, 8 May 2002 17:37:13 -0400, "Rob G"

Quote:

>Hello,

>OK, this may be really stupid, but I need to ask it anyway.

>I have a Front End on each computer with the Back End on the network. The BE
>contains the tables and the FE the forms. So far, so good?

>Since I am constantly making changes to the forms, queries, etc. in the FE
>(don't ask, a long story), I decided that after I work on the FE, I place it
>on the network. Then when a FE is opened, it looks at the FE on the database
>and updates any forms, reports, queries, etc. This is working just fine.
>However, I can't figure out how to update the code that does the updating.

>I can't delete it as it's running. I thought of setting a reference to the
>FE on the network, but then I have all the other code and modules in there.
>Plus, I think the code would be so slow to run over the network.

It's much better to replace the entire front end instead of
trying to mess with individual objects.  Follow Doug's
advice and check out Tony's FE Updater, which has been
refined over a substantial period of time.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:15:26 GMT

1. A2K Updating Back End with new fields from Front End

2. need help updating a local front end mdb from an mdb on an ftp site

3. Front End Updating

4. VB front-end code to update Oracle table?

5. Updating the front end

6. A2k: Controlling a back-end MDB from its FRONT-end MDB

7. Compact the back-end data from the front-end

8. Corrupted back end corrputs all front ends!

9. Splitting db in front end and back end

10. Compact back-end front-end

11. Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

12. VB Front end dll loses connection to back end SQL server db after an hour