Need Access to tap data via ODBC?
Author Message
 Need Access to tap data via ODBC?

If one is tapping a local Access 97 database via ODBC, does one need to
have Access installed on the PC? I expect so; but I've never tried to
install ODBC drivers for Access on a machine that didn't have it, and
thus been able to test this.

In other words, does the PC with the data need to have Access installed
in order for the Access data to be exposed by ODBC, and a query in the
Access file to run?

Thanks

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:10:08 GMT
 Need Access to tap data via ODBC?
Your second paragraph seems to be more clear:  The data server (the computer
with the data stored on it) does not need to have Access installed on it.
The client application running on your local pc can access the data if the
following are true:
1.  You have a connection (LAN, Internet, etc.) to the data server.
2.  You can access the files (*.mdb, *.txt, etc.) the data is stored in.
3.  Your local computer running the client app has an ODBC driver Access can
use to access the data.

Quote:
> If one is tapping a local Access 97 database via ODBC, does one need to
> have Access installed on the PC? I expect so; but I've never tried to
> install ODBC drivers for Access on a machine that didn't have it, and
> thus been able to test this.

> In other words, does the PC with the data need to have Access installed
> in order for the Access data to be exposed by ODBC, and a query in the
> Access file to run?

> Thanks

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:49:51 GMT
 Need Access to tap data via ODBC?
Thanks... but the idea is that the client machine wouldn't have Access
installed. It would be tapping the data via ASP and a browser. Imagine
an intranet application where everyone has their own data file (which
never gets updated by them) and uses PWS to serve ASP pages to their own
machines. That way network lag would be zilch. Would Access be required
on such a machine, or can the ODBC driver plus the Access data file be
enough?

Quote:
> Your second paragraph seems to be more clear:  The data server (the computer
> with the data stored on it) does not need to have Access installed on it.
> The client application running on your local pc can access the data if the
> following are true:
> 1.  You have a connection (LAN, Internet, etc.) to the data server.
> 2.  You can access the files (*.mdb, *.txt, etc.) the data is stored in.
> 3.  Your local computer running the client app has an ODBC driver Access can
> use to access the data.

> > If one is tapping a local Access 97 database via ODBC, does one need to
> > have Access installed on the PC? I expect so; but I've never tried to
> > install ODBC drivers for Access on a machine that didn't have it, and
> > thus been able to test this.

> > In other words, does the PC with the data need to have Access installed
> > in order for the Access data to be exposed by ODBC, and a query in the
> > Access file to run?

> > Thanks

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:57:11 GMT
 Need Access to tap data via ODBC?
If one is tapping a local Access 97 database via ODBC, does one need to
have Access installed on the PC? I expect so; but I've never tried to
install ODBC drivers for Access on a machine that didn't have it, and
thus been able to test this.

In other words, does the PC with the data need to have Access installed
in order for the Access data to be exposed by ODBC, and a query in the
Access file to run?

Thanks

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:47:03 GMT
 Need Access to tap data via ODBC?
kiln wrote

Quote:
> In other words, does the PC with the data need to have Access installed
> in order for the Access data to be exposed by ODBC, and a query in the
> Access file to run?

No, what you really need is Jet to be installed on the machine.  The
necessary files should be available at support.microsoft.com for download.

  -- Dev

Sat, 08 Nov 2003 07:33:37 GMT

1. Need tools to connect to VAX/VMS RMS data files via ODBC

2. MS Access data via ODBC in VB4?

3. MS Access data via ODBC in VB4?

4. Accessing BTrieve data via ODBC in VB

5. Problems accessing Access 2.0 via ODBC 2.x from VB3.0

6. Problem reading AS/400 double byte data via ODBC

7. how to get MS Excel data via ODBC?

8. How do I get data from an Oracle database via DAO/ODBC on excel7

9. VB4 mainframe data via ODBC is slowwwww

10. problem:vb4 16-bit, sql server 6.0 via odbc, data control

11. BCPing data via ODBC?

12. need to start modules via odbc