Access 97 stored on Linux/Samba server?
Author Message
 Access 97 stored on Linux/Samba server?

Folks,

Anybody out there with experience storing an Access 97
database on a server running SuSe Linux with Samba?  The
database has been running without problem for seven months
on a Windows 2000 server, and we moved it to a Linux
server yesterday morning.  In the following 20 hours, we
suffered two database failures, resulting in a corrupted
database.  The first time, I was able to create a blank
database and import all of the tables, queries, forms,
etc. from the broken database.  Fortunately, there didn't
appear to be any loss of data in that case, and everybody
got back online okay.  Then this afternoon, the database
crashed again, and this time I'm unable to do a repair, a
compact, or even import the components to a new database
as I had done yesterday.  I restored from my backup file
and got everybody up and running again, but Management is,
ummmm - how shall I put this, "concerned"...

Is it common to store Access databases on a Linux/Samba
server, or is that something that is not done in the real
world?

Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated...

Kevin

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 06:40:24 GMT
 Access 97 stored on Linux/Samba server?
Hi Kevin,
Never heard of anyone doing this. But
from the sounds of things, I'd put it back on
the Win2k box!

Dan Artuso, MVP

Quote:

> Folks,

> Anybody out there with experience storing an Access 97
> database on a server running SuSe Linux with Samba?  The
> database has been running without problem for seven months
> on a Windows 2000 server, and we moved it to a Linux
> server yesterday morning.  In the following 20 hours, we
> suffered two database failures, resulting in a corrupted
> database.  The first time, I was able to create a blank
> database and import all of the tables, queries, forms,
> etc. from the broken database.  Fortunately, there didn't
> appear to be any loss of data in that case, and everybody
> got back online okay.  Then this afternoon, the database
> crashed again, and this time I'm unable to do a repair, a
> compact, or even import the components to a new database
> as I had done yesterday.  I restored from my backup file
> and got everybody up and running again, but Management is,
> ummmm - how shall I put this, "concerned"...

> Is it common to store Access databases on a Linux/Samba
> server, or is that something that is not done in the real
> world?

> Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated...

> Kevin

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:05:45 GMT
 Access 97 stored on Linux/Samba server?
Workin' on that as we speak...

...at least for the near term.  The company's long-term
direction involves using Linux for file services, but if
it ain't gonna work, well - we've got a business to run,
don't we?

Thanks!
Kevin

Quote:

Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:20:19 GMT

1. VB filelistbox and linux samba

2. Access on a Linux server

3. socket access from visual basic client to linux server

4. Stored Procedures in Access 97?

5. Access 97/SQL Stored Procedures/Flex Grid

6. Module to store lesser date in Access 97

7. Access 97, storing a number from table in variable

8. Stored procedures in Access Office 95 and 97

9. Stored Procedures within a Microsoft Access 97 database

10. Storing various files types in VB 5.0/Access 97 databases

11. Calling an Oracle Stored Procedure via SQL Passthrough in Access 97

12. Unable to Update in VB5.0 DBGrid from Stored Query in Access 97