Label text truncated on exported userforms
Author Message
 Label text truncated on exported userforms

Quite often now, I find that, when I give someone else a userform I've
built, some of its Label controls, which are completely visible on my
PC, are too short to hold their text on the friend's PC.  For example,
a textbox with an adjacent label that reads "Type name here" might show
only "Type name" when the form is copied to another PC and run there.

I know, of course, that the sloppy way around this is to make my labels
plenty large.  But on a crowded userform, that isn't always possible,
and in any case I'd like to know what I"m doing wrong that causes this.

I often specify Tahoma in the font property for labels & commandbuttons,
and since Tahoma is on the narrow side, shouldn't that work to minimize
the problem I'm having?

I'd be very grateful for any insight into this problem.  Thanks.

Peter Caldwell

Sun, 08 Jun 2003 18:13:19 GMT
 Label text truncated on exported userforms
Hi Peter,

Very, very annoying, especially when you've put in
a lot of effort and went rockbottom to design them ...

Display properties and it's the way users have
set this ...
CheckIT

Krgrds,
Perry

Quote:

> Quite often now, I find that, when I give someone else a userform I've
> built, some of its Label controls, which are completely visible on my
> PC, are too short to hold their text on the friend's PC.  For example,
> a textbox with an adjacent label that reads "Type name here" might show
> only "Type name" when the form is copied to another PC and run there.

> I know, of course, that the sloppy way around this is to make my labels
> plenty large.  But on a crowded userform, that isn't always possible,
> and in any case I'd like to know what I"m doing wrong that causes this.

> I often specify Tahoma in the font property for labels & commandbuttons,
> and since Tahoma is on the narrow side, shouldn't that work to minimize
> the problem I'm having?

> I'd be very grateful for any insight into this problem.  Thanks.

> Peter Caldwell

Mon, 09 Jun 2003 05:38:24 GMT
 Label text truncated on exported userforms

Yes, I originally assumed it was because users had changed their display
properties.  But in at least two cases it happened on PCs whose users
didn't even know how to do that, and once on a brand-new PC whose owner
had yet to touch or even see it.  (That particular userform was "designed
to death" - very little breathing room.  I lost LOTS of hair that day!)

Here's a thought.  I've changed my OWN display properties - but only to
make my fonts larger than normal.  Am I thinking backward in assuming this
would have either no effect (or a "preserving" effect) on the UF labels?

Peter Caldwell

Quote:

> Hi Peter,

> Very, very annoying, especially when you've put in
> a lot of effort and went rockbottom to design them ...

> Display properties and it's the way users have
> set this ...
> CheckIT

> Krgrds,
> Perry

> > Quite often now, I find that, when I give someone else a userform I've
> > built, some of its Label controls, which are completely visible on my
> > PC, are too short to hold their text on the friend's PC.  For example,
> > a textbox with an adjacent label that reads "Type name here" might show
> > only "Type name" when the form is copied to another PC and run there.

> > I know, of course, that the sloppy way around this is to make my labels
> > plenty large.  But on a crowded userform, that isn't always possible,
> > and in any case I'd like to know what I"m doing wrong that causes this.

> > I often specify Tahoma in the font property for labels & commandbuttons,
> > and since Tahoma is on the narrow side, shouldn't that work to minimize
> > the problem I'm having?

> > I'd be very grateful for any insight into this problem.  Thanks.

> > Peter Caldwell

Mon, 09 Jun 2003 07:30:01 GMT
 Label text truncated on exported userforms

Yes, I originally assumed it was because users had changed their display
properties.  But in at least two cases it happened on PCs whose users
didn't even know how to do that, and once on a brand-new PC whose owner
had yet to touch or even see it.  (That particular userform was "designed
to death" - very little breathing room.  I lost LOTS of hair that day!)

Here's a thought.  I've changed my OWN display properties - but only to
make my fonts larger than normal.  Am I thinking backward in assuming this
would have either no effect (or a "preserving" effect) on the UF labels?

Peter Caldwell

Quote:

> Hi Peter,

> Very, very annoying, especially when you've put in
> a lot of effort and went rockbottom to design them ...

> Display properties and it's the way users have
> set this ...
> CheckIT

> Krgrds,
> Perry

> > Quite often now, I find that, when I give someone else a userform
I've
> > built, some of its Label controls, which are completely visible on
my
> > PC, are too short to hold their text on the friend's PC.  For
example,
> > a textbox with an adjacent label that reads "Type name here" might
show
> > only "Type name" when the form is copied to another PC and run
there.

> > I know, of course, that the sloppy way around this is to make my
labels
> > plenty large.  But on a crowded userform, that isn't always
possible,
> > and in any case I'd like to know what I"m doing wrong that causes
this.

> > I often specify Tahoma in the font property for labels &
commandbuttons,
> > and since Tahoma is on the narrow side, shouldn't that work to
minimize
> > the problem I'm having?

> > I'd be very grateful for any insight into this problem.  Thanks.

> > Peter Caldwell

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:49:53 GMT
 Label text truncated on exported userforms

I'm reposting this in case someone with another idea didn't see it over
the holiday.  But I also have another question.  I'm just now realizing
that my efforts to 'second-guess' the font that'll show up on an exported
userform may have been misdirected.

Somewhere I remembered reading that the Tahoma font was the default font
for...... um well, for something, I thought it was everything, so that's
what I'd been trying to use on all my userform buttons, labels, etc.  But
in looking at a friend's almost-brand new PC it seems like MS Sans Serif
is more defaultish for that stuff.  Is that right?  Should I therefore be
using that font for my userforms' controls to avoid having their labels
'beheaded'?

Lost in the bayous,

Peter Caldwell

 *------Original post follows------*

Yes, I originally assumed it was because users had changed their display
properties.  But in at least two cases it happened on PCs whose users
didn't even know how to do that, and once on a brand-new PC whose owner
had yet to touch or even see it.  (That particular userform was "designed
to death" - very little breathing room.  I lost LOTS of hair that day!)

Here's a thought.  I've changed my OWN display properties - but only to
make my fonts larger than normal.  Am I thinking backward in assuming this
would have either no effect (or a "preserving" effect) on the UF labels?

Peter Caldwell

Quote:

> Hi Peter,

> Very, very annoying, especially when you've put in
> a lot of effort and went rockbottom to design them ...

> Display properties and it's the way users have
> set this ...
> CheckIT

> Krgrds,
> Perry

> > Quite often now, I find that, when I give someone else a userform
I've
> > built, some of its Label controls, which are completely visible on
my
> > PC, are too short to hold their text on the friend's PC.  For
example,
> > a textbox with an adjacent label that reads "Type name here" might
show
> > only "Type name" when the form is copied to another PC and run
there.

> > I know, of course, that the sloppy way around this is to make my
labels
> > plenty large.  But on a crowded userform, that isn't always
possible,
> > and in any case I'd like to know what I"m doing wrong that causes
this.

> > I often specify Tahoma in the font property for labels &
commandbuttons,
> > and since Tahoma is on the narrow side, shouldn't that work to
minimize
> > the problem I'm having?

> > I'd be very grateful for any insight into this problem.  Thanks.

> > Peter Caldwell

Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:59:42 GMT

1. Need to truncate textfile info being loaded into Rich Text Boxoading Text Box infppo to RichTeboVB

2. Truncating rich text box text & keeping formatting

3. Discovery re truncated userform labels

4. FYI - Labels truncated when printing

5. Label Caption Truncates

6. Exporting Notes Truncates to 255 Characters

7. Exporting to Text File truncates the text in CR 8.0 ?

8. Importing text into userforms

9. text field in querydef truncating at 255

10. CDO message.text property truncates with Euro characters ??

11. Labels, Text Boxes, and ugly text

12. String truncates all but 1st word in Form Input type text box