Loss of form field text after unprotecting and protecting a form
Author Message
 Loss of form field text after unprotecting and protecting a form

I have created a form for a small forms user group that
requires the following functionality:

When form is protected, the Forms User must be able to key
data in form fields.

At any time during the forms entry, the user may need to
unprotect the form and copy and paste tables or rows of
tables.

What is happening now:  When user re-protects the form,
the previous text entered in the forms fields is lost.
These previously completed fields revert to the default.

This is a basic forms template created in Word 2000.  Any
suggestions?

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 05:21:02 GMT
 Loss of form field text after unprotecting and protecting a form
It is my experience in working with userforms in Word is
that when the form is deactivated, all input is lost.  As
an example, if another form is called for additional
data, the original form fires the deactivate event and
all is lost.

I save the input in CustomProperties of the form and
repopulate the original form at any time the deactivate
event is fired and the original form is brought back.

I am not sure how you go about unprotecting a form but a
save routine that fires when the form is uproptected and
a n update form routine to repopulate the form after the
task is complete may do the trick...Hope this helps...

Quote:

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 05:46:56 GMT
 Loss of form field text after unprotecting and protecting a form
Hi Monique,

Create a macro that reprotects the document and create a button in the toolbar for it.
The macro should have this text:

Sub ProtectMyDocument()
    activedocument.Protect type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, noreset:=true
End Sub

If you need help in creating the macro or the button, you might want to check this articles:

"What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup readers to help me out?
I don't know how to install them and put them to use"
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm

"How to assign a Word command or macro to a toolbar or menu"
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/AsgnCmdOrMacroToToolbar.htm

Hope this helps,
regards,
Astrid

So that all can benefit from the discussion, please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.
Visit the MVP Word FAQ site at http://www.mvps.org/word/

Quote:
> I have created a form for a small forms user group that
> requires the following functionality:

> When form is protected, the Forms User must be able to key
> data in form fields.

> At any time during the forms entry, the user may need to
> unprotect the form and copy and paste tables or rows of
> tables.

> What is happening now:  When user re-protects the form,
> the previous text entered in the forms fields is lost.
> These previously completed fields revert to the default.

> This is a basic forms template created in Word 2000.  Any
> suggestions?

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 05:39:46 GMT
 Loss of form field text after unprotecting and protecting a form
Hi Robert,

The original poster is actually talking about a protected
form document (created with formfields from Word's FORMS
toolbar), not a userform (custom dialog box created in the
Visual Basic Editor).

The name of this newsgroup is understandably confusing to
anyone who doesn't know that "userform" is Microsoftspeak
for custom dialog box, so a lot (often the majority) of
questions here are not really about userforms.  (Would've
been smarter to name this group m.p.w.vba.customdialogs,
but nooooooooooo....)

--

Reply *ONLY* to the newsgroup.  Note: MVPs do not work for Microsoft.
MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word

Quote:

> It is my experience in working with userforms in Word is
> that when the form is deactivated, all input is lost.  As
> an example, if another form is called for additional
> data, the original form fires the deactivate event and
> all is lost.

> I save the input in CustomProperties of the form and
> repopulate the original form at any time the deactivate
> event is fired and the original form is brought back.

> I am not sure how you go about unprotecting a form but a
> save routine that fires when the form is uproptected and
> a n update form routine to repopulate the form after the
> task is complete may do the trick...Hope this helps...

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 07:17:58 GMT
 Loss of form field text after unprotecting and protecting a form
Protect only certain sections of the form and leave other sections
unprotected where you need the user to insert free form data or cut and
paste functions.

To do this - INSERT/Section Break.
Then TOOLS/Protect Document and choose FORMS and click on the Sections
button beside that choose only what sections you want protected which leaves
the other sections unprotected allowing for cut and paste or whatever type
of input.

Hope this helps!
-cj

Quote:
> It is my experience in working with userforms in Word is
> that when the form is deactivated, all input is lost.  As
> an example, if another form is called for additional
> data, the original form fires the deactivate event and
> all is lost.

> I save the input in CustomProperties of the form and
> repopulate the original form at any time the deactivate
> event is fired and the original form is brought back.

> I am not sure how you go about unprotecting a form but a
> save routine that fires when the form is uproptected and
> a n update form routine to repopulate the form after the
> task is complete may do the trick...Hope this helps...

Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:59:45 GMT

1. Problem when unprotecting a document with form field text fields

2. Protected Forms and Text Form Fields

3. Protecting and Unprotecting a form deletes entries !?!?!

4. Maitaining form field info when unprotecting and reprotecting a document

5. selecting form fields in a protected form

6. Need help w/Protected document with form text fields and check boxes

7. Repost: Stop up\down cursor keys moving between (text) form fields in a protected document

8. Starting query from a form (criterium being based on a text field in the form)

9. URGENT: Error when assigning long strings to Form Fields in a protected Word document

10. Protecting custom Form fields

11. Filling in Form Fields while Protected

12. Protect the form when exiting a field