HELP! Need advice on distributed database
Author Message
 HELP! Need advice on distributed database

I'm working on a database for use in all of my company's remote sales
offices. The database is being designed to be used by sales staff to keep
track of prospect status (size of opportunity, likelihood of sale, and
whether or not a quote has been given them). Every month I'll need to
deliver information to and collect information from  them (to: new
prospects, pricing for quote requests; from: status on outstanding bids,
dollar value of prospects, etc.). Unfortunately, the offices are not
connected by a WAN, so I cannot centralize the data, and I need to generate
monthly reports based on the combined data of all regions.

Can anyone offer any advice about how this might be accomplished? I was
thinking about sending out Excel spreadsheets and having admin staff upload
the data refresh, but I'm a little stumped about how they would distribute
the database to the sales staff. Any advice would be REALLY appreciated.
Also, my time online at home is really limited, so a cc: to my email address
would be really great.

Sam

Wed, 02 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP! Need advice on distributed database
Database Replication comes to mind.  You can read more at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/techart/dbrepjet.htm

Steve

Quote:
> I'm working on a database for use in all of my company's remote sales
> offices. The database is being designed to be used by sales staff to keep
> track of prospect status (size of opportunity, likelihood of sale, and
> whether or not a quote has been given them). Every month I'll need to
> deliver information to and collect information from  them (to: new
> prospects, pricing for quote requests; from: status on outstanding bids,
> dollar value of prospects, etc.). Unfortunately, the offices are not
> connected by a WAN, so I cannot centralize the data, and I need to
generate
> monthly reports based on the combined data of all regions.

> Can anyone offer any advice about how this might be accomplished? I was
> thinking about sending out Excel spreadsheets and having admin staff
upload
> the data refresh, but I'm a little stumped about how they would distribute
> the database to the sales staff. Any advice would be REALLY appreciated.
> Also, my time online at home is really limited, so a cc: to my email
address
> would be really great.

> Sam

Wed, 02 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. I need to distribute VB5 with Access97 database.

2. Need some database advice

3. Need advice accessing an Oracle database

4. Need advice to speed up access to database

5. need advice on VB database books

6. Need Advice on Graphics and Database

7. Need advice about best Database controls

8. Need advice on selecting database engine and hardware

9. Need Some Advice on Sharing Access Database Files

10. Need advice on database and OS

11. Need advice on how to combine multiple databases into one

12. Need advice about best Database controls