font change in locked text form field
Author Message
 font change in locked text form field

Hi,

I've got a Word form set up with text form fields. The text form fields have
the font/point size/style assigned to the field before the form is locked.

After the form is locked for use, the users want to start typing in the
field and then, midway through the text, change a word or letters to bold,
italic or underline.

But when they tab out of the text form field, all the text in that field
reverts to the font/size/style that was set before the form was locked.

Is there any way to allow the user to change font characteristics of some
text within a text form field?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Ken Lindberg
--
Electronic Document Publishing
Advanced Graphics & Programming

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 font change in locked text form field
Hi Ken,

I don't know how your users are applying the formatting because I sure can't
when the document is protected.

The following macro however will unprotect the document, format the selected
text as bold and then re-apply the protection without resetting the
formfields.

After running that macro, after I tab out of a formfield, the bold
formatting is retained.

You could create similar macros for each type of formatting that your users
want to apply.  Note however that each one will need to be assigned to the
keyboard or to a macro button added to a toolbar so that they can be invoked
while the document is protected.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
Please post any follow-up to the Newsgroups so that others may benefit
therefrom or contribute thereto.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I've got a Word form set up with text form fields. The text form fields
have
> the font/point size/style assigned to the field before the form is locked.

> After the form is locked for use, the users want to start typing in the
> field and then, midway through the text, change a word or letters to bold,
> italic or underline.

> But when they tab out of the text form field, all the text in that field
> reverts to the font/size/style that was set before the form was locked.

> Is there any way to allow the user to change font characteristics of some
> text within a text form field?

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thank you!

> Ken Lindberg
> --
> Electronic Document Publishing
> Advanced Graphics & Programming
> 562-432-3907

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 font change in locked text form field
Hi Ken,

Quote:
> After the form is locked for use, the users want to start typing in the
> field and then, midway through the text, change a word or letters to bold,
> italic or underline.

As far as I know, there is no way that font formatting commands are
available in text boxes of a locked form, except using VBA.

What kind of setup do you have, there?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 font change in locked text form field
Doug,

Thanks for the pointer. There wasn't any macros following (below) but you
pointed me in the right direction. I was able to create some macros that did
as you suggested, unprotect the form, make the style change, and then
protect it without resetting the fields.

Now I'll just have to figure out how to do it with changing the point size
of the font on the fly. In other words, bring up a requestor asking the user
which point size to set the selected text to. Since I don't know what point
size they will want while I'm writing the macro.

Thanks again!

Ken Lindberg
--
Electronic Document Publishing
Advanced Graphics & Programming
562-432-3907

Quote:

--
Electronic Document Publishing
Advanced Graphics & Programming
562-432-3907

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 font change in locked text form field
Sorry Ken, I guess I forgot to paste the code.  Here it is:

ActiveDocument.Unprotect
Selection.Font.Bold = wdToggle
ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True

> [...]

> > Doug Robbins - Word MVP
> > Please post any follow-up to the Newsgroups so that others may benefit
> > therefrom or contribute thereto.

> >> Hi,

> >> I've got a Word form set up with text form fields. The text form fields
> > have
> >> the font/point size/style assigned to the field before the form is
locked.

> >> After the form is locked for use, the users want to start typing in the
> >> field and then, midway through the text, change a word or letters to
bold,
> >> italic or underline.

> >> But when they tab out of the text form field, all the text in that
field
> >> reverts to the font/size/style that was set before the form was locked.

> >> Is there any way to allow the user to change font characteristics of

Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 font change in locked text form field
Hi Ken,

Quote:
> Now I'll just have to figure out how to do it with changing the point size
> of the font on the fly. In other words, bring up a requestor asking the
user
> which point size to set the selected text to. Since I don't know what
point
> size they will want while I'm writing the macro.

You can use:

ActiveDocument.Unprotect

Dialogs(wdDialogFormatFont).Show

ActiveDocument.Protect _
    Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, _
    NoReset:=True

Hope this helps.
Regards
ibby

Please post replies or follow-ups to the **newsgroup** so that participants
may benefit or contribute.

Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. changing fonts in locked form fields

2. Entering text in form field of locked document pushes text on same line

3. VBA locks up on trying to change form or button font

4. Change all text font in a form???

5. Macro to change text, also changes font size.

6. VBA locks up when I try to change fonts

7. Changing text in a Text field

8. Change font colour of field for specific task

9. on entry form text field macro - year field

10. Problem when unprotecting a document with form field text fields

11. CR 5 and Vb6, Change all fields font at runtime

12. CR7 - Changing a Field's Font Based on a Formula