Page Numbering in Footer
Author Message
 Page Numbering in Footer

I have a template that has footer that includes a table
that is a single row and three columns.  The only column
with data is the second.  In this second column is a page
number field, a solid horizontal line, and a bookmark.
This works fine for the first page but on the second page
it moves the page number field outside of the table to
the right margin of the table.  For the life of me I
cannot figure out why it does this.  There is no code
calling to align the text, though in the future I will
need to add it.  Any help would be appreciated!

TIA!

david

Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:20:35 GMT
 Page Numbering in Footer
Hi David,

Quote:
> In this second column is a page
> number field, a solid horizontal line, and a bookmark.
> This works fine for the first page but on the second page
> it moves the page number field outside of the table to
> the right margin of the table.  For the life of me I
> cannot figure out why it does this.

It sounds to me as if the page number had been inserted
using the command Insert/Page Number. This puts the
PageNumber field in a frame (or text box), not directly into
the table column.

Click on the page number, and you should see a "frame"
appear around it. Click on that frame and DELETE. Insert the
page number using Insert/Fields, instead.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jan
24 2003)
http://www.mvps.org/word

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:22:13 GMT
 Page Numbering in Footer
Hi Cindy,

You are correct in that I did add the field using the
Autotext drop down from the Headers/Footers toolbar.
When I clicked on the page number I didn't really see the
frame but I went ahead and deleted the field.  In fact I
deleted everything in the cell and recreated inserting
the field as you suggested.  However, the field is still
jumping outside the frame to the edge of the right margin
of the footer.

So I went ahead and deleted everything from the footer so
that nothing remained.  Then I ran the template and on
the second page footer on the right margin is the page
number.  What am I missing?  A hidden field?

TIA!

david

Quote:

Sat, 08 Oct 2005 06:38:45 GMT
 Page Numbering in Footer
Hi David,

Quote:
> You are correct in that I did add the field using the
> Autotext drop down from the Headers/Footers toolbar.
> When I clicked on the page number I didn't really see the
> frame but I went ahead and deleted the field.  In fact I
> deleted everything in the cell and recreated inserting
> the field as you suggested.  However, the field is still
> jumping outside the frame to the edge of the right margin
> of the footer.

> So I went ahead and deleted everything from the footer so
> that nothing remained.  Then I ran the template and on
> the second page footer on the right margin is the page
> number.  What am I missing?  A hidden field?

Hard to be certain, but I'm guessing that Textbox is still
in there... Start with the doc version where (you think)
nothing is in the footer. click the white arrow on the
Drawing toolbar, display a zoom where you can see the entire
page, and (in the header-footer view) drag that white arrow
across the entire page. This should pick up any and all
graphical objects. Does the little beast show up?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jan
24 2003)
http://www.mvps.org/word

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:20:33 GMT

1. Inserting page numbers in footer with word automation

2. HIGHEDIT & RTF page numbers in footer

3. Adding Total Number of slides to the page number field in the footer

4. Word not printing total number of pages in page footer correctly

5. Putting page numbers: 1 of xx in the footer

6. Table Footer/ Page Footer

7. Page footer and Group footer

8. Page Footer on Page 1 Refers to Page 2

9. Print report page footer last page only?

10. cycle footers page by page

11. Update 2nd page Footer w/o 2nd page

12. Page Header and Page Footer Problem