Can't use DAO code in ACCESS 2000
Author Message
 Can't use DAO code in ACCESS 2000

I'm trying to use DAO code in ACCESS 2000.  For this line
of code " Dim dbs as Database"  I get this error "Compile
error: User-defined type not defined."

I only can use ADO code yet i can not find the help for
ADO. I understand ACCESS 2000 uses both DAO and ADO.

Please Help
Thanks
Magdy

Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:27:14 GMT
 Can't use DAO code in ACCESS 2000
You have to add a referenct to DAO.
In VB click
Project>References>
Click Microsoft DAO3.5 Library.
Click ok
HTH
Rob

Quote:
> I'm trying to use DAO code in ACCESS 2000.  For this line
> of code " Dim dbs as Database"  I get this error "Compile
> error: User-defined type not defined."

> I only can use ADO code yet i can not find the help for
> ADO. I understand ACCESS 2000 uses both DAO and ADO.

> Please Help
> Thanks
> Magdy

Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:31:19 GMT
 Can't use DAO code in ACCESS 2000
Hello Magdy,

First, check your References by opening any module and selecting
Tools|References from the menu.  Is there a reference to "Microsoft DAO 3.6
Object Library"?  If not, you'll need to scroll through the available
references and select it.

Then, since you have references to ADO and DAO, you'll need to dis-ambiguate
your declarations.  For example,

Dim dbs as DAO.Database
Dim rs as DAO.Recordset
Dim rsADO as ADO.Recordset

hth,
--
Cheryl Fischer
Law/Sys Associates

Quote:
> I'm trying to use DAO code in ACCESS 2000.  For this line
> of code " Dim dbs as Database"  I get this error "Compile
> error: User-defined type not defined."

> I only can use ADO code yet i can not find the help for
> ADO. I understand ACCESS 2000 uses both DAO and ADO.

> Please Help
> Thanks
> Magdy

Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:47:54 GMT
 Can't use DAO code in ACCESS 2000

Quote:

How about geting help for ADO with F1 key?  i get a list
then when chose ADO subject nothing happen.

Thanks,
Magdy

>.

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:07:39 GMT
 Can't use DAO code in ACCESS 2000

Quote:

Thanks Cheryl,
Magdy

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:11:44 GMT
 Can't use DAO code in ACCESS 2000
The real question is: if you are using Jet databases, why would you _want_
to use ADO?

Quote:

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:28:48 GMT
 Can't use DAO code in ACCESS 2000
Couldnt answer that. So far I only use DAO and I know you need to add the
reference to to use it.

Quote:
> The real question is: if you are using Jet databases, why would you _want_
> to use ADO?

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:11:33 GMT
 Can't use DAO code in ACCESS 2000
"How about geting help for ADO with F1 key?  i get a list
then when chose ADO subject nothing happen."

Help was mangled when Access moved to 2000 and 2002.

It exists, it is just hard to find.

Search your hard drive for .chm and .hlp files (I forget which)
Once you find them put shortcuts to them on your desktop or some other
common spot so you don;t forget them. Open them manually to use them.
--
Joe Fallon
Access MVP

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:14:17 GMT

1. Application written for Access 2000 with DAO won't run in Access 2002

2. display chinese using DAO 3.6/VB6 in accessing Access 2000 DB.

3. Can't access db in Access 2000 using ADO

4. Using DAO to create pass thru queries in access 2000 - references problem

5. Opening Access 2000 mdb using DAO

6. Using DAO to create pass thru queries in access 2000 - references problem

7. Importing an Access 2000 table into another Access 2000 database with VB Code

8. Can't step through (F8) code in Access 2000

9. Change Access 2000 icon in code without using the Delevoper Kit

10. Can't access DAO/ADO DC Recordset From Code

11. 'Canned' data in VB program

12. ADO Help doesn't appear (Access 2000, Windows 2000)