Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?) 
Author Message
 Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?)

I am adding some Visual Basic code to my Access application.  It seems to
work well in general.  However, every once in a while when I open a form or
even the whole database, I will get the error Illegal Operation - Access
will shut down.

This especially seems to happen after I have added some code.  Especially
after I have copied a control or form.  When it happens, I can usually (all
except twice) get back into design mode.   If I go back in and copy the
code, recreate the control and paste the code, things usually work fine (so
I don't think it's the code, but maybe the way I am entering it or copying
things).

I tried the broken file on a different computer and it worked fine, so I
thought it was my machine; but then I had the same thing happen on a
different computer when I was adjusting the code.  I checked the file for
virus; there was none.

On my development machine, I have Office Pro installed (including Access
97).  But I also installed Access 95 in a separate directory since that is
what my client is using.  (I am certain that I have never converted the
database to 97.)  One of the other machines where I had trouble only has
Access 95 (but I had the same error when adding a line of code from that
machine).

I checked the KB, and they said compile, which I do religiously.  I also
back up my work regularly by copying and renaming the database (could this
be an incorrect way to back up that is causing part of the problem?)

This is scary since I am developing my first application as a contractor.
Can anyone tell me why this is happening - and what  I can do (or not do) to
prevent this from happening.

Thanks,
Gary Brower



Sat, 10 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?)

Quote:

>This especially seems to happen after I have added some code.  Especially
>after I have copied a control or form.  When it happens, I can usually (all
>except twice) get back into design mode.   If I go back in and copy the
>code, recreate the control and paste the code, things usually work fine (so
>I don't think it's the code, but maybe the way I am entering it or copying
>things).
>I tried the broken file on a different computer and it worked fine, so I
>thought it was my machine; but then I had the same thing happen on a
>different computer when I was adjusting the code.  I checked the file for
>virus; there was none.

I have noticed that, in the Win32 environment, a GPF in a DLL is a really,
really bad thing.  What often happens, despite the program's own attempts to
trap and handle it, is an "invalid page fault" -- kiss o' death.  This is, of
course, a very common mistake to make, but this is a situation where the
operating system's response to the problem IS the problem.  

Microsoft, the "UAE from Hell" problem from Windows 2.0 and 3.0 seems to be
back, in spades.  :-/

Meanwhile, the source of the problem is clearly not related in any way to the
file itself, since renaming it is a 100%-fix to the problem.  But...

Microsoft, this problem has been around since Win95 first appeared... Access-7
and 8 both had it, and this IS the reason why my clients and myself continue
to use Access 2.0 despite all its limitations.

/mr/



Sat, 10 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?)

If you are still using Access 95 That is a weekly occurance around here!
We "updated" to Access 97 and it seems to be more stable
That is, unless you want to use a COMCTL32 object like The TREEVIEW!
IF so, you are currently in big trouble.
Search for "comctl32" at dejanews.com for that on going mess

Quote:


> >This especially seems to happen after I have added some code.  Especially
> >after I have copied a control or form.  When it happens, I can usually (all
> >except twice) get back into design mode.   If I go back in and copy the
> >code, recreate the control and paste the code, things usually work fine (so
> >I don't think it's the code, but maybe the way I am entering it or copying
> >things).

> >I tried the broken file on a different computer and it worked fine, so I
> >thought it was my machine; but then I had the same thing happen on a
> >different computer when I was adjusting the code.  I checked the file for
> >virus; there was none.

> I have noticed that, in the Win32 environment, a GPF in a DLL is a really,
> really bad thing.  What often happens, despite the program's own attempts to
> trap and handle it, is an "invalid page fault" -- kiss o' death.  This is, of
> course, a very common mistake to make, but this is a situation where the
> operating system's response to the problem IS the problem.

> Microsoft, the "UAE from Hell" problem from Windows 2.0 and 3.0 seems to be
> back, in spades.  :-/

> Meanwhile, the source of the problem is clearly not related in any way to the
> file itself, since renaming it is a 100%-fix to the problem.  But...

> Microsoft, this problem has been around since Win95 first appeared... Access-7
> and 8 both had it, and this IS the reason why my clients and myself continue
> to use Access 2.0 despite all its limitations.

> /mr/

--
John L. Turner
JCI Inc.
2425 Poca River Road {Lanham}
Poca, WV 25159       voice (304) 776-3675
~~Just because you do not know the answer, does not mean that someone
else does~~


Sat, 10 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?)

Hi Gary,

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your problem or not, but I used to have
a similar problem in Access 95 which turned out to be caused by a bug in
VBA232.DLL. I called MS tech support  and they sent me an updated VBA232.DLL
which fixed the problem. I'm sure it's available on their Web site, but I'm
afraid I couldn't tell you exactly where. The updated version is 1025KB and
is dated 30/4/96 (4/30/96 if you're using US date format!). If your version
(it should be in the windows\system folder) is dated earlier, it just might
be the cause of your problem.

HTH

Brendan Reynolds

Zarcrom Web Hosting Services
http://ireland.zarcrom.com

Quote:

>I am adding some visual basic code to my Access application.  It seems to
>work well in general.  However, every once in a while when I open a form or
>even the whole database, I will get the error Illegal Operation - Access
>will shut down.



Sun, 11 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?)

Just a small note in defense of Microsoft:  sometimes (in fact, in my
experience, more often than not) invalid page fault errors, and some
others, are primarily caused by the network O/S rather than the MS
application software.  Not always, but a lot of the time.  The marriage
between the MS operating system and the network environment seems to be
subject to occasional disagreements (surprise, surprise....  now if
Microsoft would just get it over with, buy up Oracle and Novell and wrap
them into NT etc...)

:-)
--
Pete B



Quote:


> >This especially seems to happen after I have added some code.
Especially
> >after I have copied a control or form.  When it happens, I can usually
(all
> >except twice) get back into design mode.   If I go back in and copy the
> >code, recreate the control and paste the code, things usually work fine
(so
> >I don't think it's the code, but maybe the way I am entering it or
copying
> >things).

> >I tried the broken file on a different computer and it worked fine, so I
> >thought it was my machine; but then I had the same thing happen on a
> >different computer when I was adjusting the code.  I checked the file
for
> >virus; there was none.

> I have noticed that, in the Win32 environment, a GPF in a DLL is a
really,
> really bad thing.  What often happens, despite the program's own attempts
to
> trap and handle it, is an "invalid page fault" -- kiss o' death.  This
is, of
> course, a very common mistake to make, but this is a situation where the
> operating system's response to the problem IS the problem.  

> Microsoft, the "UAE from Hell" problem from Windows 2.0 and 3.0 seems to
be
> back, in spades.  :-/

> Meanwhile, the source of the problem is clearly not related in any way to
the
> file itself, since renaming it is a 100%-fix to the problem.  But...

> Microsoft, this problem has been around since Win95 first appeared...
Access-7
> and 8 both had it, and this IS the reason why my clients and myself
continue
> to use Access 2.0 despite all its limitations.

> /mr/



Sun, 11 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?)

Quote:

> Just a small note in defense of Microsoft:  sometimes (in fact, in my
> experience, more often than not) invalid page fault errors, and some
> others, are primarily caused by the network O/S rather than the MS
> application software.  Not always, but a lot of the time.  The marriage
> between the MS operating system and the network environment seems to be
> subject to occasional disagreements (surprise, surprise....  now if
> Microsoft would just get it over with, buy up Oracle and Novell and wrap
> them into NT etc...)

> :-)
> --
> Pete B

How about Invalid page faults on stand alone computers?
People get them all the time. Updated dlls seems to take care of about
half of GPF, but it's still not enough.
Btw have you ever tryed to compare the sizes of software and it's
updates/patches? For office 97 the size of service pack 1 almost equal
to 2/3 of the size of instalation disk. Remaining 1/3 is probably help
files that were not change.

Max.



Sun, 11 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?)

Quote:

>Just a small note in defense of Microsoft:  sometimes (in fact, in my
>experience, more often than not) invalid page fault errors, and some
>others, are primarily caused by the network O/S rather than the MS
>application software.  Not always, but a lot of the time.  The marriage
>between the MS operating system and the network environment seems to be
>subject to occasional disagreements (surprise, surprise....  now if
>Microsoft would just get it over with, buy up Oracle and Novell and wrap
>them into NT etc...)

Nope, sorry Pete, but I see this all the time even on machines that are not
connected to any network at all.  It's a problem with exception-handling at
the core of the O/S or possibly its design.

And as for Microsoft "getting it over with and buying up ..." I suspect that
there are enough ex-IBMers at Microsoft to remember how costly it can be to
forget your core business.  And there are enough ex-IBM-customers to remember
that one company really can't do it all.



Tue, 13 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?)

I've had the exact same problem in Access '95, and as soon as I
replaced the suspect VBA232.DLL file, the problem was gone.  I believe
there is an article on this in the KB.  The file on Microsoft's web
page is a self extracting file named VBA232A.EXE, roughly 620k in
size.

Regards,

Chris Chaffee



Quote:
>Hi Gary,

>I'm not sure if this is relevant to your problem or not, but I used to have
>a similar problem in Access 95 which turned out to be caused by a bug in
>VBA232.DLL. I called MS tech support  and they sent me an updated VBA232.DLL
>which fixed the problem. I'm sure it's available on their Web site, but I'm
>afraid I couldn't tell you exactly where. The updated version is 1025KB and
>is dated 30/4/96 (4/30/96 if you're using US date format!). If your version
>(it should be in the windows\system folder) is dated earlier, it just might
>be the cause of your problem.

>HTH

>Brendan Reynolds

>Zarcrom Web Hosting Services
>http://ireland.zarcrom.com


>>I am adding some visual basic code to my Access application.  It seems to
>>work well in general.  However, every once in a while when I open a form or
>>even the whole database, I will get the error Illegal Operation - Access
>>will shut down.



Tue, 13 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?)



Quote:


> >Just a small note in defense of Microsoft:  sometimes (in fact, in my
> >experience, more often than not) invalid page fault errors, and some
> >others, are primarily caused by the network O/S rather than the MS
> >application software.  Not always, but a lot of the time.  The marriage
> >between the MS operating system and the network environment seems to be
> >subject to occasional disagreements (surprise, surprise....  now if
> >Microsoft would just get it over with, buy up Oracle and Novell and wrap
> >them into NT etc...)

> Nope, sorry Pete, but I see this all the time even on machines that are
not
> connected to any network at all.  It's a problem with exception-handling
at
> the core of the O/S or possibly its design.

I don't doubt that you do see it, but my own experience has been to see it
only on networked apps, and then very, very rarely.  I have never seen it
on the private apps I run on my own system.  If anything I think it is a
Windows problem, not an Access glitch.

Quote:
> And as for Microsoft "getting it over with and buying up ..." I suspect
that
> there are enough ex-IBMers at Microsoft to remember how costly it can be
to
> forget your core business.  And there are enough ex-IBM-customers to
remember
> that one company really can't do it all.

Doesn't seem to have cost Microsoft, but it sure cost IBM; but then they
deserved it for not having the guts to take advantage of the things Billy
Boy did at the time.

Seems to me Microsoft IS doing it all these days (not necessarily the best
way, though).  :-)

--
Pete B



Tue, 13 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?)

I run several non-networked applications of my own design on my system,
some of them quite complex, and cannot recall ever seeing an invalid page
fault;  'course, that doesn't mean they don't happen elsewhere.
Nevertheless, I really don't see how that would be a problem on a
non-shared app, I welcome enlightenment.  Even on networked apps, I see
that fault very, very rarely.  Talking WFW/Win95/Novell here.

The latest Office SP2 took about 20 min. to put on my system, so I guess it
replaced just about everything, but so what, it was free.  Now if they had
charged for it....
--
Pete B


Quote:

> > Just a small note in defense of Microsoft:  sometimes (in fact, in my
> > experience, more often than not) invalid page fault errors, and some
> > others, are primarily caused by the network O/S rather than the MS
> > application software.  Not always, but a lot of the time.  The marriage
> > between the MS operating system and the network environment seems to be
> > subject to occasional disagreements (surprise, surprise....  now if
> > Microsoft would just get it over with, buy up Oracle and Novell and
wrap
> > them into NT etc...)

> > :-)
> > --
> > Pete B
> How about Invalid page faults on stand alone computers?
> People get them all the time. Updated dlls seems to take care of about
> half of GPF, but it's still not enough.
> Btw have you ever tryed to compare the sizes of software and it's
> updates/patches? For office 97 the size of service pack 1 almost equal
> to 2/3 of the size of instalation disk. Remaining 1/3 is probably help
> files that were not change.

> Max.



Wed, 14 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Illegal Operation - Access Will Shut Down (why?)

Yes, I recall there were problems with that module causing invalid page
faults, and installing the replacement cured it.  That was quite some time
ago, and there is an MSKB article about it.  Not sure if that is the
problem originally posted and being discussed here, though; if it is it
certainly would fix it.
--
Pete B


Quote:
> I've had the exact same problem in Access '95, and as soon as I
> replaced the suspect VBA232.DLL file, the problem was gone.  I believe
> there is an article on this in the KB.  The file on Microsoft's web
> page is a self extracting file named VBA232A.EXE, roughly 620k in
> size.

> Regards,

> Chris Chaffee



> >Hi Gary,

> >I'm not sure if this is relevant to your problem or not, but I used to
have
> >a similar problem in Access 95 which turned out to be caused by a bug in
> >VBA232.DLL. I called MS tech support  and they sent me an updated
VBA232.DLL
> >which fixed the problem. I'm sure it's available on their Web site, but
I'm
> >afraid I couldn't tell you exactly where. The updated version is 1025KB
and
> >is dated 30/4/96 (4/30/96 if you're using US date format!). If your
version
> >(it should be in the windows\system folder) is dated earlier, it just
might
> >be the cause of your problem.

> >HTH

> >Brendan Reynolds

> >Zarcrom Web Hosting Services
> >http://ireland.zarcrom.com


> >>I am adding some visual basic code to my Access application.  It seems
to
> >>work well in general.  However, every once in a while when I open a
form or
> >>even the whole database, I will get the error Illegal Operation -
Access
> >>will shut down.



Wed, 14 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 12 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Shut down, how to intercept shut down?

2. Why does my VB5 app not shut down?

3. Illegal operation accessing fonts.

4. Illegal Operation w/ VB5 and Access

5. Shutting down and powering down Win 2000

6. shutting down, rebooting, power down local host???

7. Microsoft Access won't shut down

8. Shutting Down Word from Access

9. Access won't shut down

10. Please Help: Operating System Shutting Access Down?

11. auto shut down of access

12. Access Not Shutting down properly

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software