Universal Report generator
Author Message
 Universal Report generator

In the past, updates of MS Access,  MS Word  or VBA have undermined  linked
reports and macros written in previous version of the software.  It forced
us to upgrade every user's software to prevent the conflicts.  I want
todevelop a completely bullet proof method that will allow relatively low
skilled MS Word end users to create custom reports that extract information
from a database that tracks our projects.  I want to minimize the chance
that a future software update will leave the reports useless.

One strategy that I have experimented with is using a comma delimited data
file extracted from a database that stores a list of dummy variables and the
corresponding values of those variables.  I wrote a very short and simple
search and replace macro in MS Word that reads the data file and starts at
the the beginning of the document and replaces all instances of the dummy
variables with the corresponding value of the variable.    The end user can
select any number of variables from a list of hundreds to include in a
document or report.  They run the macro and the dummy variables are replaced
with  the appropriate data values.  One problem is a significant delay as
the program attempts to search for and replace several hundred variables
even
if the user only used a few of the variables available.

Can anyone suggest a more efficient way to accomplish this goal.

Joe

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 05:58:15 GMT
 Universal Report generator
Set up the variables in Word as DocProperty fields (works for all kinds of
data except multiline text). When first setting up the document, add a
CustomDocumentProperty for each variable, with a dummy value to insert in
the document.

When creating the report, iterate the CustomDocumentProperties collection.
For each property that is a variable in your list of hundreds, set the
property to the real value.

Then update fields in the document.

Quote:
> In the past, updates of MS Access,  MS Word  or VBA have undermined
linked
> reports and macros written in previous version of the software.  It forced
> us to upgrade every user's software to prevent the conflicts.  I want
> todevelop a completely bullet proof method that will allow relatively low
> skilled MS Word end users to create custom reports that extract
information
> from a database that tracks our projects.  I want to minimize the chance
> that a future software update will leave the reports useless.

> One strategy that I have experimented with is using a comma delimited data
> file extracted from a database that stores a list of dummy variables and
the
> corresponding values of those variables.  I wrote a very short and simple
> search and replace macro in MS Word that reads the data file and starts at
> the the beginning of the document and replaces all instances of the dummy
> variables with the corresponding value of the variable.    The end user
can
> select any number of variables from a list of hundreds to include in a
> document or report.  They run the macro and the dummy variables are
replaced
> with  the appropriate data values.  One problem is a significant delay as
> the program attempts to search for and replace several hundred variables
> even
> if the user only used a few of the variables available.

> Can anyone suggest a more efficient way to accomplish this goal.

> Joe

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 06:30:33 GMT

1. Universal report generator

2. Reports writer / generator - Diamond Reports TM

3. Access report generator instead of Crystal Reports

4. Reports writer / generator - Diamond Reports TM

5. Crystal Reports Report Generator

6. report generator

7. Report Generator: Slow and Huge

8. VB SQL Report Generator ?