Populate form fields from email Fields
Author Message
 Populate form fields from email Fields

Okay, here's the deal.  Al I want to be able to do is
capture fields from an email message (Sender, Subject,
Message, Received) etc from an email and pop it into some
predefined fields in a form.

It is basically just presenting the email in a prettier
way for the girls on our call centre.  I have the form
working on the inbox through Actions>Form_Name that's
okay.  But my form fields aren't trapping the field data
from the original email.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ian

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:15:29 GMT
 Populate form fields from email Fields
Actions > Form_Name just launches the custom form. If you want the custom
form to pick up data from somewhere, you'll have to add code to do that --
either a VBA macro or code behind the custom form. Are you trying to put the
data into custom fields? Or did you just rearrange the built-in fields? What
do you want to happen to the message after you've put the data into it?

What version of Outlook? You'll need 2000 or 2002 to make this work.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

> Okay, here's the deal.  Al I want to be able to do is
> capture fields from an email message (Sender, Subject,
> Message, Received) etc from an email and pop it into some
> predefined fields in a form.

> It is basically just presenting the email in a prettier
> way for the girls on our call centre.  I have the form
> working on the inbox through Actions>Form_Name that's
> okay.  But my form fields aren't trapping the field data
> from the original email.

> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

> Kind Regards

> Ian

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 04:07:52 GMT
 Populate form fields from email Fields
Thanks, as ever,  for your reply Sue.

Basically when an email hits the inbox, all I want to do is take
"Sender, date, subject, message" from the email and paste them into
corresponding fields in a form.  Then I can work on this information
myself.  I am using standard bound fields in the form and controls such
as [From] [Subject] etc but they are appearing blank so the fields do
not correlate to the information in the email.

It is a case of taking the "From" away from an email and putting it into
[From] in the form and so on.

I'm pretty sure this should just work by inserting the standard fields
in to the form and making the form work on the email using Actions_Form
command, without any scripting required.

I am using Outlook 2000 by the way.

Cheers Sue

Regards

Ian

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:25:43 GMT
 Populate form fields from email Fields

Quote:
> I'm pretty sure this should just work by inserting the standard fields
> in to the form and making the form work on the email using Actions_Form
> command, without any scripting required.

Under certain circumstances, actions defined on the Actions tab on a custom
form can, when invoked, copy data from the item using the custom form to a
newly created item. This technique does not, however, apply to Message
forms.

Quote:
> Basically when an email hits the inbox, all I want to do is take
> "Sender, date, subject, message" from the email and paste them into
> corresponding fields in a form.  Then I can work on this information
> myself.  I am using standard bound fields in the form and controls such
> as [From] [Subject] etc but they are appearing blank so the fields do
> not correlate to the information in the email.

Again, I'm not quite clear on what kind you want to do here. Do you want to
convert the incoming messages to use a different form? If so, your code
should just change the value of the MessageClass property to the name of the
form, then save the incoming item. See
http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/quarexe.htm for sample code that shows how
to work with new items hitting the Inbox.

Do you want to copy the data from the incoming messages into new items using
a custom form? If so, where you want these copies to appear? Inbox? Drafts?
Somewhere else?

If you already have sample code that's halfway there, post it. If the
problem is that you don't know the right property names, use the Object
Browser in VBA -- SenderName and Subject are two that you mentioned.

The newsgroup interface at Developersdex (http://www.developersdex.com) does
not automatically quote the text of the original message when you post a
reply. Please take the time to quote the original message manually so that
people reading your current response can understand what you're talking
about. Otherwise, you may not receive the answer you're looking for.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
     Microsoft Outlook Programming - coming Fall 2002

> Basically when an email hits the inbox, all I want to do is take
> "Sender, date, subject, message" from the email and paste them into
> corresponding fields in a form.  Then I can work on this information
> myself.  I am using standard bound fields in the form and controls such
> as [From] [Subject] etc but they are appearing blank so the fields do
> not correlate to the information in the email.

> It is a case of taking the "From" away from an email and putting it into
> [From] in the form and so on.

> I'm pretty sure this should just work by inserting the standard fields
> in to the form and making the form work on the email using Actions_Form
> command, without any scripting required.

> I am using Outlook 2000 by the way.

> Cheers Sue

> Regards

> Ian

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:38:56 GMT
 Populate form fields from email Fields
Sorry for lack of protocol Sue...

I think an easier way to do this is just use the "READ" page as the
default.  Is there any way to do this when using Tools_Action_Form on an
inbox.

Regards

Ian

Populate form fields from email Fields
From: Ian Hughes
Date Posted: 7/11/2002 4:27:00 AM

Okay, here's the deal. Al I want to be able to do is
capture fields from an email message (Sender, Subject,
Message, Received) etc from an email and pop it into some
predefined fields in a form.

It is basically just presenting the email in a prettier
way for the girls on our call centre. I have the form
working on the inbox through actions>form_name that's
okay. But my form fields aren't trapping the field data
from the original email.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ian

Re: Populate form fields from email Fields
From: Sue Mosher [MVP]
Date Posted: 7/14/2002 2:15:00 PM

From: Sue Mosher [MVP]
Date Posted: 7/15/2002 6:46:00 AM

Quote:
> [...]

Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
     Microsoft Outlook Programming - coming Fall 2002

> Basically when an email hits the inbox, all I want to do is take
> "Sender, date, subject, message" from the email and paste them into
> corresponding fields in a form. Then I can work on this information
> myself. I am using standard bound fields in the form and controls such
> as [From] [Subject] etc but they are appearing blank so the fields do
> not correlate to the information in the email.

> It is a case of taking the "From" away from an email and putting it
into
> [From] in the form and so on.

> I'm pretty sure this should just work by inserting the standard fields
> in to the form and making the form work on the email using
Actions_Form
> command, without any scripting required.

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:31:48 GMT

1. populate multiple fields based on input keyed into one field

2. HELP auto populating form fields!!!

3. populating form fields

4. Populating Fields on a Form from Recordset

5. Populating Fields on Form from Recordset

6. Code populates form field controlsources

7. populating user defined fields in customized outlook E-mail from Access Imput form

8. Populating fields form MsAccess

9. Populate form fields

10. Populating 3 fields in Combobox in VB.Net Windows Forms

11. Trying to create an Internet Email field on Form or Table

12. Parsing Email fields from saved EMAIL