How to get Access 97 (built on a Windows 2000) to work on 95s and 98s
Author Message
 How to get Access 97 (built on a Windows 2000) to work on 95s and 98s

No one chanced to respond to this.  I desperately need help.  Do I need to be
more specific here?  Here it is again:
________

I created an Access 97 database using Windows 95.  I used to give my many
users, how have Windows 95 and 98 and 2000 updates to my front end and they
worked just fine.

But I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 2000.  Now, still using Access
97, the people with Windows 95 and 98 get all sorts of errors running any
update done on my Windows 2000.

I'm not very technical with this stuff but I have a good tech.  So please,
explain in as much detail as you can afford what I should do to get my updates
to work on these machines.  The errors begin with the Access's Startup menu.

Is there some settings I need to adjust on 95 and 98 computers?  Is there a
list of things to do?

By the way, is there a way to open Access without the startup window coming up?

Thanks,

Matt

Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:25:27 GMT
 How to get Access 97 (built on a Windows 2000) to work on 95s and 98s
To do its job, Access (like most modern programs) makes use of various
external program and object libraries that provide functionality that may be
shared among applications.  For example, Access always uses the Visual Basic
for Applications library, the version-appropriate Access Object Library, and
the OLE Automation library.  References to the specific library files,
including their locations, are stored with your database.  But these library
modules may not be in the same location on different machines, especially if
they have different versions of Microsoft Office or different OPERATING
SYSTEMS.
If you move a database from one machine to another, these references may be
"broken";  that is, one or more of the library files may not be where the
stored reference says it is.

When this happens, you need to take steps to let Access repair the broken
reference(s) ON THE COMPUTER WHERE THE FAILURE IS OCCURING.

Here are Doug Steele's instructions for how to do it:

****Quote****
Open any code module (or open the Immediate Window, using Ctrl-G, provided
you haven't selected the "keep debug window on top" option). Select Tools |
References from the menu bar. Examine all of the selected references.

If any of the selected references have "MISSING:" in front of them, unselect
them, and back out of the dialog. If you really need the reference(s) you
just unselected (you can tell by doing a Compile All Modules), go back in
and reselect them.

If none have "MISSING:", select an additional reference at random, back out
of the dialog, then go back in and unselect the reference you just added. If
that doesn't solve the problem, try to unselect as many of the selected
references as you can (Access may not let you unselect them all), back out
of the dialog, then go back in and reselect the references you just
unselected. (NOTE: write down what the references are before you delete
them, because they'll be in a different order when you go back in).

Just so you know: the problem will occur even if the library that contains
the specific function that's failing doesn't have a problem.
****Unquote****

So, follow those instructions and see if your problem goes away.

Quote:

> No one chanced to respond to this.  I desperately need help.  Do I need to be
> more specific here?  Here it is again:
> ________

> I created an Access 97 database using Windows 95.  I used to give my many
> users, how have Windows 95 and 98 and 2000 updates to my front end and they
> worked just fine.

> But I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 2000.  Now, still using Access
> 97, the people with Windows 95 and 98 get all sorts of errors running any
> update done on my Windows 2000.

> I'm not very technical with this stuff but I have a good tech.  So please,
> explain in as much detail as you can afford what I should do to get my updates
> to work on these machines.  The errors begin with the Access's Startup menu.

> Is there some settings I need to adjust on 95 and 98 computers?  Is there a
> list of things to do?

> By the way, is there a way to open Access without the startup window coming up?

> Thanks,

> Matt

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 05:22:31 GMT
 How to get Access 97 (built on a Windows 2000) to work on 95s and 98s
Thanks John,

I'll try this.  But Access freezes up on entry.  So I can't use the
Tools--References dialog box, even if I use Ctrl+G.  How do I get Access to
open without the Switchboard coming on, because that is where it first messes
up.  But even if I get away from that, I'm afraid the thing will simply mess up
and freeze up somewhere else.  Don't know.

Thanks,

Matt

Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:59:56 GMT
 How to get Access 97 (built on a Windows 2000) to work on 95s and 98s
Try holding down the shift key during the start up process.

Of course, that assumes that you haven't disabled the Allow bypass key
property.

Quote:

> Thanks John,

> I'll try this.  But Access freezes up on entry.  So I can't use the
> Tools--References dialog box, even if I use Ctrl+G.  How do I get Access to
> open without the Switchboard coming on, because that is where it first messes
> up.  But even if I get away from that, I'm afraid the thing will simply mess up
> and freeze up somewhere else.  Don't know.

> Thanks,

> Matt

Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:43:22 GMT

1. Getting back the formatted MsgBox in Access 2000 that worked in Access 97

2. DLL usage - works in Access 97 but not in Access 2000

3. Program from access 97 won't work in access 2000

4. Link Failure in Access 2000 that works in Access 97

5. Best method of working with Access 97 / Outlook 2000 / Exchange Server 5.5

6. Correlated subquery in DELETE stmt not work in Access '97 or 2000

7. Opening Access 97 mdb file with Windows 2000

8. Access 97 VBA Problem with Windows 2000

9. database corruption of access 97 from windows 2000

10. access 97 forms slow on windows 2000 Pro

11. VB6, Access 97 and Windows 2000 Pro

12. Problem With VB6 App With Access 97 Backend Running On Windows 2000 Pro