Connect ODBC
Author Message
 Connect ODBC

Hello Eric,

I've not used that particular ODBC driver, but in order to connect to a
remote data source, you need a few things:

1) An ODBC driver.  It sounds like you have one of these from Intersolv
(DataDirect ODBC).

2) A network interface.  Since you are going to a UNIX box, I'm assuming
that you will be using Sockets to communicate.  I don't think you could use
named pipes or netbios without extra stuff running on the UNIX box.  Also,
Progress may have its own network interface library that must be utilized on
the client machine.  Informix is this way.  The ODBC driver for Informix is
an ESQL/C application that requires Informix's ESQL/C runtime as well as
their IConnect network interface runtime library installed.

I'd bite the bullet and pay for some support from either Progress and/or
Intersolv to get this resolved.  Once you have all the pieces in place, I
don't think you'll have many problems.

I hope this helps,

Larry R. Tubbs Jr., MCPS, MCSD
Silverleaf Resorts Inc, NYSE: SVR

Quote:
>How can you connect a hp Unix (Progress) Database server to MsAccess?

>I've tried without success with DataDirect ODBC.

>Thanks for any help.

>Eric Meikle

Sat, 22 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Connect ODBC

Eric

Just picked this one up.  There is a product by OpenLink Software which
meets your requirement.  Visit http://oplweb.openlinksw.com/product  for
details and evaluation copy.

I found it easy to configure and install and it does the trick.

Not cheap but cheaper than using HP/Progress support :-)

Frank Westfield - Principal Consultant
FW Associates

Quote:

>>How can you connect a hp Unix (Progress) Database server to MsAccess?

>>I've tried without success with DataDirect ODBC.

>>Thanks for any help.

>>Eric Meikle

Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Word 97 connect ODBC

2. Microsoft Jet-connected ODBC

3. Unable to connect ODBC with VB5

4. What's wrong with my code..connect odbc /w Access97

5. create query in 'Microsoft Jet-connected ODBC data source'

6. How use VB Script connect ODBC / SQL7.0 server database?

7. ODBC connect string not being saved

8. Showing ODBC connect string creation dialog

9. DAO - Connect to SQL Server via ODBC

10. ODBC connect: CAN YOU DISCONNECT???????????

11. ODBC, Tabledefs.Connect not saving user and password

12. Problem with ODBC Connect!!!!