Using unbound forms to speed up front/back end access db
Author Message
 Using unbound forms to speed up front/back end access db

has anyone dealt with using unbound forms?  I have read that it is a good
method to use to speed up db process.  One of the issues is the amount of
code and detail that must go into it.

Any thoughts?
Any good readings on the subject...?

thanks
Rich
Atlanta

Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using unbound forms to speed up front/back end access db
I customarily use a combination of bound and unbound forms in my
applications.  With unbound forms, you have to create a routine that
handles the actual opening of the recordset and writing/editing/deleting
the data, then refreshing the tables collections.

 I normally use unbound forms when each item or group of items on the form
represents a record in a particular table.

 Bound forms have the advantage of 1) writing the data directly into the
table(s), 2) allowing the use to move from one record to the next without
making a specific record selection.  They have the more important
disadvantage of loading slowly if the underlying recordset is a query or a
very large table.

I usually load my bound forms without any records.  That is, the
RecordSource of the form is set to a condition that evaluates to false.
Once Jet realizes that, it goes ahead and opens the form instead of trying
to run the query.  Then I use criteria text boxes and comboboxes to allow
users to select the record(s) they want to see and create and set a
RecordSource that returns only that record or records.

As far as readings, I've been doing this so long that I've forgotten where
I learned it!  However, the VBA Developer's Handbook and  the Access 97
Developer's Handbook are both good references.

--
C{*filter*}te Foust

Quote:
> has anyone dealt with using unbound forms?  I have read that it is a good
> method to use to speed up db process.  One of the issues is the amount of
> code and detail that must go into it.

Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Splitting db in front end and back end

2. VB Front end dll loses connection to back end SQL server db after an hour

3. Packaging a VB front end/Access back end application

4. Access Back End, VB Front End -- Why?

5. Access Back End, VB Front End -- Why?

6. Search an Access DB backend using a VB6 front end

7. A2k: Controlling a back-end MDB from its FRONT-end MDB

8. A2K Updating Back End with new fields from Front End

9. Compact the back-end data from the front-end

10. Corrupted back end corrputs all front ends!

11. Compact back-end front-end

12. Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end