Closing form freezes Access
Author Message
 Closing form freezes Access

I have simple form with a command button that calls a sub that utilizes the
transfer spreadsheet method. I import/append several files in a directory at
a time.

Using a command button to call the sub works great except. if I close the
form programmatically, acces locks up. Well, not exactly, after all the
sheets have appended to their respective tables, I am able to lok arounf in
the database window. Look at table, queries, etc. When I try to close access
it freezes. My mouse is visible only the task bar, though it still has some
functionality withing the db window(moving arounf and clicking causes things
to happen. Anyway, in order to shut down acces, I have to ctrl+alt+del a
couple of times, until I get the message the program is not responding.

If I don't close the form, everything is okay. The focus never comes back to
the form, until I select it.

If try to close the form using code following the called sub, the window
still freezes. I have tried setting the focus on the form and then closing
using code, that didn't solve it.

I'm sure it must have something to do with the on_click sub that calls
everything. When the form closes, the module must not be available or
something.

Any ideas/direction would sure be appreciated...thanks in advance..

Bud Dean

Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Closing form freezes Access
Do you explicitly close all objects (set object = ...) with object.close
that the form opens before closing the form?  If not, you'll get weird
problems like this one.

Mike Ober.

Quote:

>I have simple form with a command button that calls a sub that utilizes the
>transfer spreadsheet method. I import/append several files in a directory
at
>a time.

>Using a command button to call the sub works great except. if I close the
>form programmatically, acces locks up. Well, not exactly, after all the
>sheets have appended to their respective tables, I am able to lok arounf in
>the database window. Look at table, queries, etc. When I try to close
access
>it freezes. My mouse is visible only the task bar, though it still has some
>functionality withing the db window(moving arounf and clicking causes
things
>to happen. Anyway, in order to shut down acces, I have to ctrl+alt+del a
>couple of times, until I get the message the program is not responding.

>If I don't close the form, everything is okay. The focus never comes back
>the form, until I select it.

>If try to close the form using code following the called sub, the window
>still freezes. I have tried setting the focus on the form and then closing
>using code, that didn't solve it.

>I'm sure it must have something to do with the on_click sub that calls
>everything. When the form closes, the module must not be available or
>something.
>Bud Dean

Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Closing form freezes Access
Hi Bud,

Look at the code behind the form.  Make sure that you're not using Echo to
False.  Another way to check it would be to let the "freeze" occur, then
open the Debug window by using Control-G, and then issuing

Docmd.Echo True

HTH
--
Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
---------------

Quote:

>I have simple form with a command button that calls a sub that utilizes the
>transfer spreadsheet method. I import/append several files in a directory
at
>a time.

>Using a command button to call the sub works great except. if I close the
>form programmatically, acces locks up. Well, not exactly, after all the
>sheets have appended to their respective tables, I am able to lok arounf in
>the database window. Look at table, queries, etc. When I try to close
access
>it freezes. My mouse is visible only the task bar, though it still has some
>functionality withing the db window(moving arounf and clicking causes
things
>to happen. Anyway, in order to shut down acces, I have to ctrl+alt+del a
>couple of times, until I get the message the program is not responding.

>If I don't close the form, everything is okay. The focus never comes back
>the form, until I select it.

>If try to close the form using code following the called sub, the window
>still freezes. I have tried setting the focus on the form and then closing
>using code, that didn't solve it.

>I'm sure it must have something to do with the on_click sub that calls
>everything. When the form closes, the module must not be available or
>something.

>Any ideas/direction would sure be appreciated...thanks in advance..

>Bud Dean

Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Forms, primary thread closing when closing startup form

2. Form Close Button Does Not Close the Form

3. ADO dies,freezes on rs.close

4. Using Find in a Word document from Access freezes Access

5. Closing all forms in Access 2.0

6. Closing Access on open forms, etc.

7. Access form won't close using VBA

8. Open form, close form, open form = disposed object exception

9. Freezing Display: Table vs Form

10. Word freezes in form-spellchecker

11. Prevent user from closing form using caption close button

12. Closing a form and closing Word