Component not correctly registered
Author Message
 Component not correctly registered

I created an application for a client who needed to
convert thousands of WordPerfect documents to Word (9.0 or
2000). I discovered that the majority of these documents
were quite similar and a simple generic template with some
VBA to get some information from the user was all that was
required to have the client move forward. During the user
testing phase, one user who runs on a Win98 desktop got a
very simple error message in a standard vbError msgbox -
Titled "Microsoft Visual Basic" and  "Component not
correctly registered" containing OK and Help buttons.
There is no indication WHAT is not correctly registered
(terrible usability engineering) and pressing Help
generates no topic. This error occurs upon opening the
document in runtime or opening the DOT file and trying to
get into the VB editor. User must cick OK at least 20
times (each time the msgbox re-appears) before one of two
things occur - her computer freezes and after 10 minutes
shuts itself down hard (requiring scandisk) or Word shuts
down. I was able to "unprotect" and get into the VB Editor
by alternating ESC and OK. Looking in the References did
not indicate any "missing" component. The only thing used
that's not enabled by default for my code is MSScripting
(used to check for existence of folders and files) - I
tried removing and re-enabling this item and the Forms
object library to no avail. My development environment was
Win2KPro. Could the differences between the FM20 and
SCRRUN DLLs being in different directories on Win2K
(WINNT\System32) be the key here? Please, does anyone have
experience or a step-by-step troubleshooter for this? I
hate running blind using trial-and-error brute techniques
in the user's presence...

Thanks

The Geek
-> one who keeps an eye on the foundation of the
   fragile pedestal currently standing upon...

Sat, 03 Dec 2005 23:55:28 GMT
 Component not correctly registered
Are there any unusual controls on any of the forms?  That
would be the next place I would look.  (Unusual here means
controls that do not appear in the VBA toolbox by
default)

On the surface of it, it sounds like you may have
inadvertantly used a control that is not available to
windows 98 for whatever reason.  VBA cannot recreate it,
so all it can tell you is that an unknown object is
present, resulting in a vague error message.

Good luck,
-Ran

Quote:

Sun, 04 Dec 2005 21:44:32 GMT

1. VB6, "Component not correctly registered"

2. Server Components Not Correctly Registered (Error 339)

3. Server Components not correctly Registered (Error 339)

4. Component not correctly registered.

5. "Component Not Correctly Registered"

6. Runtime Error 336 - Component not correctly registered

7. Error 336 Activex component not correctly registered

8. Error 336: ActiveX component not correctly registered!

9. Component Not Correctly registered, file is missing or Invalid

10. component not correctly registered erro in crw 6.0

11. Component or one of its dependencies not correctly registered

12. Component 'RICHT32.OCX' not correctly registered