NewMail event does not occur during startup
Author Message
 NewMail event does not occur during startup

There are problems, too, with Rules Wizard rules not firing when Outlook first starts up and starts downloading mail. I suspect they are related.  A possible workaround in your case might be to use the MapiLogonComplete event, then wait a minute or two for Outlook to get new mail, then process any new items.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions

> I have Outlook 2002 setup to receive email from 2 POP3
> email accounts.  When new mail arrives a rule runs that
> moves the new messages to different folders depending on
> the account name.  This works great when Outlook is
> already open and the automatic send/receive occurs at 3
> minute intervals.  For some reason this does not work when
> Outlook 2002 is first opened and I have new mail.  The new
> mail is received but the rule does not run.  After further
> investigation I have found that the Application_NewMail
> event is not occuring.  Here is the order in which the
> events occur during startup.  Application_Startup >
> Application_MapiLogonComplete > The automatic Send/Receive
> occurs > The New mail is received, but the
> Apllication_NewMail does not occur, thus the rule does not
> run.

Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:43:10 GMT
 NewMail event does not occur during startup
Just a bit of commentary I could not resist posting. They must have really
mucked up the code in this area. Why setting a automatic send/receive
interval of any amount of time should also set send/receive at startup is
beyond me. I really want it at a 10 minute interval but cannot use it
because for some (dumb) reason selecting that also selects send/receive at
startup which I don't want. The way they have set this up is completely
counterintuitive and apparently the events are not even working properly.
What would it have cost them to add a simple check box "Send/receive at
startup" just like they have "Send/receive on exit"? Someone setting a time
bomb would be in for a big surprise if their timer worked like this one.

Quote:
> I have Outlook 2002 setup to receive email from 2 POP3
> email accounts.  When new mail arrives a rule runs that
> moves the new messages to different folders depending on
> the account name.  This works great when Outlook is
> already open and the automatic send/receive occurs at 3
> minute intervals.  For some reason this does not work when
> Outlook 2002 is first opened and I have new mail.  The new
> mail is received but the rule does not run.  After further
> investigation I have found that the Application_NewMail
> event is not occuring.  Here is the order in which the
> events occur during startup.  Application_Startup >
> Application_MapiLogonComplete > The automatic Send/Receive
> occurs > The New mail is received, but the
> Apllication_NewMail does not occur, thus the rule does not
> run.

Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:15:20 GMT

1. NewMail event does not occur during startup

2. Find Events OCCURRING during date range

3. Label change event not occurring when Message Box displayed

4. DataCombo _Change event not occurring

5. Why did not the KeyPress event occur?

6. GotFocus event not occurring after MsgBox

7. Breakpoint always occurs at startup

8. Form close event occurs before lost focus event

9. DoEvents not doing any events

10. MCI Control Gets Into a Tizzy - Done Events Not Being Generated

11. How to run program on startup (not using startup)

12. Disable or protect Shift key during startup