Changing the Default duration field to a custom duration field
Author Message
 Changing the Default duration field to a custom duration field

I am developing a Project file to be used in a
manufacturing environment.  I am using a number field with
a formula which takes the duration that's entered in the
default duration field and calculates the number you enter
in another field:
Duration field: 1eh
Number field: 10
Field with formula will then show: 600 (minutes)

I then put a formula into a custom duration field which
equals the custom field (the one with 600 in it).

All that works fine.  Now what I need to do is change the
default duration field to the one I customized so that the
project reflects that info.

What I ultimately want is to have the project change based
on the new duration field.  For example, if I know it
takes an hour to build a Widget and I know I have to build
a 1,000 Widgets, then I will know exactly-based on thw
work schedule and resources-how long it will take to
complete the project.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Glenn

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 01:26:11 GMT
 Changing the Default duration field to a custom duration field
It sounds like you'll get a cicular reference if you try to code this up.

Perhaps you should enter the "standard" value (the amount to build 1 widget)
in a free number/duration field
then using a "on  change event" fire a bit of code that multiplies the
standard times the number of units (entered in another number field) and
puts the result in the duration field.

FYI you can not put equations in the Duration field but you can replace
values in the duration field with Visual Basic

Mark

Mark Durrenberger, PMP
Principal, Oak Associates, Inc, www.oakinc.com
"Advancing the Theory and Practice of Project Management"

The really nice thing about NOT planning:

Failure comes as a complete surprise and is not
preceded by long periods of worry and depression.

- Anonymous

Quote:
> I am developing a Project file to be used in a
> manufacturing environment.  I am using a number field with
> a formula which takes the duration that's entered in the
> default duration field and calculates the number you enter
> in another field:
> Duration field: 1eh
> Number field: 10
> Field with formula will then show: 600 (minutes)

> I then put a formula into a custom duration field which
> equals the custom field (the one with 600 in it).

> All that works fine.  Now what I need to do is change the
> default duration field to the one I customized so that the
> project reflects that info.

> What I ultimately want is to have the project change based
> on the new duration field.  For example, if I know it
> takes an hour to build a Widget and I know I have to build
> a 1,000 Widgets, then I will know exactly-based on thw
> work schedule and resources-how long it will take to
> complete the project.
> Any ideas or suggestions?
> Glenn

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 04:26:45 GMT
 Changing the Default duration field to a custom duration field
Don't put the original estimate in the duration field or else it will go on
recalculating.
You will need a macro to write the result of teh calculation in duration (as
this is not a custom field)
And while we are on the subkject, you could integrate all the formulae in
this vBA.
HTH

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
> I am developing a Project file to be used in a
> manufacturing environment.  I am using a number field with
> a formula which takes the duration that's entered in the
> default duration field and calculates the number you enter
> in another field:
> Duration field: 1eh
> Number field: 10
> Field with formula will then show: 600 (minutes)

> I then put a formula into a custom duration field which
> equals the custom field (the one with 600 in it).

> All that works fine.  Now what I need to do is change the
> default duration field to the one I customized so that the
> project reflects that info.

> What I ultimately want is to have the project change based
> on the new duration field.  For example, if I know it
> takes an hour to build a Widget and I know I have to build
> a 1,000 Widgets, then I will know exactly-based on thw
> work schedule and resources-how long it will take to
> complete the project.
> Any ideas or suggestions?
> Glenn

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 00:48:37 GMT

1. Setting values of duration fields.

2. Customer Duration Field

3. When you tab through maskedit fields the defaultbutton changes from default to not default

4. Default field value from another field

5. Field required, and Field default value

6. Passing the validated fields value to custom method in a field level validation

7. Duration in seconds

8. Duration

9. date, duration calculation

10. work, unit , duration relation

11. Help needed with duration - work days conversion to calendar days

12. task duration and 'elapsed' time quantities