Trying to backup a database from front end w/ FileCopy
Author Message
 Trying to backup a database from front end w/ FileCopy

I have an Access 2002 app, split into a front end .mde and
a backend .mdb, currently running on standalone systems.
At logout time I figure out whether a backup is needed and
use the FileCopy to make a backup copy of the backend
database in another backup directory. It has been working
fine at several sites.

About a month ago it stopped working on my development
machine. Obviously I changed something but can't figure
what. It now acts as though one or both of the databases
are opened for exclusive use. FileCopy and CopyObject both
error with code 70. Neither, to my knowledge is opened in
exclusive mode. Does anyone have a clue as to what I might
even start to look for? Its a very active development
system without source control, so going back through
individual changes is not really possible.

Thanks in advance...

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:09:44 GMT
 Trying to backup a database from front end w/ FileCopy
Hi,

Make sure you [still] have write permission to the target directory, if on a
network. It wasn't clear to me whether that target directory had changed or
not.

If that's a non-issue, then
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q207703 or
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q172711 may be of
help.

--
Calvin Smith
http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com

Mass Emailer - http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com/MassEmailer.htm

VB/VBA Tools - http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com/AllComboDeals.htm

Quote:
> I have an Access 2002 app, split into a front end .mde and
> a backend .mdb, currently running on standalone systems.
> At logout time I figure out whether a backup is needed and
> use the FileCopy to make a backup copy of the backend
> database in another backup directory. It has been working
> fine at several sites.

> About a month ago it stopped working on my development
> machine. Obviously I changed something but can't figure
> what. It now acts as though one or both of the databases
> are opened for exclusive use. FileCopy and CopyObject both
> error with code 70. Neither, to my knowledge is opened in
> exclusive mode. Does anyone have a clue as to what I might
> even start to look for? Its a very active development
> system without source control, so going back through
> individual changes is not really possible.

> Thanks in advance...

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:50:52 GMT
 Trying to backup a database from front end w/ FileCopy
Wow, and just like that its working! I used the api call
option to avoid having dependencies on the OS. I was
searching the Kbase for FileCopy and found nothing of use,
the answer was in CopyFile...the devil is in the details I
guess.

Many Thanks,
Jerry

Quote:

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:56:37 GMT
 Trying to backup a database from front end w/ FileCopy
Great! You're welcome! :-)

--
Calvin Smith
http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com
"Real-world Source Code Solutions"

Mass Emailer - http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com/MassEmailer.htm

VB/VBA Tools - http://www.CalvinSmithSoftware.com/AllComboDeals.htm

Quote:
> Wow, and just like that its working! I used the api call
> option to avoid having dependencies on the OS. I was
> searching the Kbase for FileCopy and found nothing of use,
> the answer was in CopyFile...the devil is in the details I
> guess.

> Many Thanks,
> Jerry

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:15:29 GMT

1. Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

2. Corruption of Database Front End

3. Access database corruption using vb front ends

4. Database Front End Sample

5. Database Front End

6. Visual Basic Front Ends For Access Databases

7. Using Visual Basic to front-end an Oracle Database

8. Database Front End

9. Help - using VB as front end for Access Database

10. Connecting Sun database to Visual Basic front end

11. Connect Sun database to VB front end

12. Visual C++ as a Database Front End